This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Planetologist

Glad you recieved the seeds finally. . lost 2 lots of dfb's picked for seed circle sadly.

there was a circle for tomato, which went well. it also ensures there will be interesting tomato for every one. so many has joined.

The reason we join to seed sharing is to put efforts in growing non-f1's. all of us has enough seeds to grow for a decade but still love this as it helps us to try being self sufficiency for seeds and hoping one day we minimise as much of buying seeds.

so let us have multiple seed circles which can be clubbed together at the end. the closing dates can be decided at the end or find other ways to accomadate the seeds arrive too late. that shouldn't be much of concern.
    Last edited by Elfeda; 01-02-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I totally agree on growing interesting non-F1s and seed circles are a great way of sharing them.

But I don't get the suggestion of clubbing multiple seed circles together. I don't understand how it could work. Personally I think it's easier to keep them separate and you join the ones you want to be in.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

sparrow,

I like to see one adress to all seed circles at vine in the end despite who is actually suggest and create a group.

if someone want early seeds, can send separate SAE or limit them to only that circle. this could avoid us sending multiple SAE's and still we take part in all seed circles highlighting specific interest.

it can help in wider aspects though we do not want to go into those details at this stage.

Comment

Elfeda, I think you're trying to complicate things, not simplify them! Also, it would make a lot of work for whoever "volunteers" to run it.

Comment

Yes, far too complicated. Saving postage isn't high on my priority list. For the £2 spent on postage we had a really good selection of tomato seed, in the tomato circle. Trying to save postage will cause one grape a huge amount of work. Sending out seeds at different times would cause problems. "Clubbing seed circles" won't work as some peeps are only interested in certain varieties. I do think that Sparrows comments re: keeping the thread alive (post #72) will create more interest and will help with numbers. Photos of how we are doing etc all helps (I love pics!) it' a shame it's mostly "older grapes" joining in. We need to encourage new seed savers - point them in the direction of our seed circles and hope for better growing conditions this year. It wasn't a great year for me last year, everything was late and that didn't help.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 01-02-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Elfeda,

Sorry, I agree with VC. It helps whoever's running it to make the circle simple. And postage to one/two circles isn't really very expensive.

If I had to compile a list of who wants what vs who's growing what, check incoming seeds, chase people who are late sending, share seeds out according to a specific list of 'wants' and make sure they are packed up properly with the correct postage, I don't think I would volunteer.

The seed parcels for 'my' circle take up 2 boxes in my small flat - the sharing out & sealing etc takes me 2-3 hours on a simple all-in basis, which I absolutely don't mind, but I wouldn't do anything more complicated. I have huge amounts of admiration for VC who has an incredibly complicated task with the VSP!

You could always volunteer to run one.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

OK, that's pretty unanimous. You can now subscribe to the 2016 seed saving circle: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...cle_88124.html

Could a mod sticky that and unsticky this thread, please?

Comment

Stuck/unstuck for you,
                  Thanks for doing this again, Planetologist

Comment

oooooooooooooooh, I got the seed parcel .. Thank you Planetologist!

Comment

My seeds have arrived too.
                      Thank you Planetologist and all the Members of the 2015 Seed Circle.
                      I'm especially pleased to have the Babington leek bulbils to bulk up my own

Comment

I just open the pack. googled few of the melons, cues and corn. will be growing all in 2016. thanks to all the members of the circle.

Comment

Thank you to everyone especially Planetologist. It was lovely opening my parcel, ty again

Comment

Scarlet rushes off to check her post box......

Comment

Thank you Planetologist!my seeds have arrived, really appreciate it, also thanks to all that participated

Love those beans Elfeda, does anyone have a clue what they are called?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Scarlet; 03-02-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Glad you found them interesting scarlet.

that is 'one' seed mixed up in my DFB's given by oldman at the allotments. usually he uses all his own seed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X