Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparrow, here is the pick for aubs, I have picked them bit earlish. I got the seed pack from mom from India, I will be sending these aubergine seeds and all other seeds I have been saving to VSP as well, since I don't have other circles ...

you can try sticking a note about seed swap to inside the allotment gate.so any one leaving from the allotment can see that.

or instead you can ask each one you can come across, what they are saving this year and/or what else they would be interested and do it by yourself collect or spread . just like free cycle of seeds with no obligations. jut to keep the wheel running initially.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Elfeda; 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Are you leaving the aubergines to ripen fully before saving the seeds, Elfeda? Otherwise, they're no good for saving. More info at How To Save Your Own Seed at Home

Comment

The aubs you've picked Elfeda won't have viable seed. They need to be much riper than those. Have you got any more growing on the plant?

Comment

Scarlet, I ate those aubs in pic long back

Comment

I left one fruit on the plant which is almost yellow, still waiting ..I want to pot this plant up from the ground and bring into green house, any tips would be appriciated. will take a pic when I go to allotment.

Comment

November. Seed swapping time?

I love the idea of saving & swapping a few seeds if anyone on the forum is up for it. I am a compulsive seed saver so would be glad to pass on any seeds I have available. If it saves people some money that seems worthwhile, another thing I enjoy is discovering plants & varieties people particularly cherish, a real-life recommendation seems a better reason to grow than a merchant's sales pitch.

It is still a bit early for me to know exactly what I will have available to swap, but there will be chillies, tomatoes, beans, squash, callaloo (amaranth), tree spinach. Also potentially cuttings / offsets from some perennials which do not set seed such as ever-lasting onion, Daubenton's Kale, Tree Collards etc.

The Real Seed Catalogue have a good guide on organising a seed saving circle & the process of actually saving different types of seed. They suggest swapping over a cup of tea & biscuits, a lovely idea if I can meet any Edinburgh 'planty people', but s.a.e. sent to people on this forum would clearly widen the pool of contributors hugely.

I will watch for posts on how swaps might be arranged & post a list in due course. I may have missed detailed instructions so will re-read whole thread & check links etc. Hope to receive some top varieties, especially chillies & peppers. My star performer was Nigel's Outdoor Chilli, I grew lots in an isolated greenhouse to avoid crossing so will keep plenty of seed. De Colgar storage tomato has also impressed, they are laid out in boxes & show no sign of deterioration, whereas all other types need careful watching to catch them before they go squashy.

Comment

Hi Airhead,

Glad to hear you are another seedaholic (there are lots on the vine) and that you save and want to swap goodies.

There is a rule that you should have been a member for 3 months and done 50 posts before swapping http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...cel_83432.html I know that seems a lot but it is surprisingly easy.

There are various swapsies on the vine. You have

VSP (Virtual Seed Parcel) run by Veggiechicken - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...sts_83433.html Basically you send VC your unwanted seed with a SAE and get a max. of 20 (per swap) that you would like.

Seed Circle run by Planetologist - where you save 2 varieties (enough for everyone in the circle) and an SAE and you get all different back. (An all in circle)

Tomato Seed Circle run by Scarlet - where you save 2 varieties (enough for everyone in the circle) and an SAE and you get all different back. Specific veg type circles change year on year. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...5-a_86360.html

Or you can just start a new thread in the swap area. The Seed Swap

Look forward to your posts. Enjoy the vine
                Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 01-11-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Airhead, if you'd like to take part in this seed circle, you're welcome to. Please say which seed you're contributing to the circle before the end of the month, see my posts #1 and #3 for details (and #12 and #15 if you need more details).

If you want to swap with individuals please start your own thread. (You could even do both if you're keen.)

Comment

This circle is now closed. We are 6. I've PM'd the participants (twice).

Comment

Thanks for the seeds, veggiechicken.

Comment

My pleasure, planetologist
                        Thanks for running the swap.

Comment

W I will post mine tomorrow

Comment

Haven't seen Elfeda on here for a while

Comment

me back last week from holiday(3 weeks) and just now logged in, will check the messages and respond

Comment

Thanks for the seeds, Norfolkgrey. (Got them last week.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X