X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 seed circle

Link to http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...cle_76488.html

I intend to organise another seed circle this year. However, if 2/3rd of people drop out, then there's not much sense in taking names. I know that the best laid plans gang aft agley, so no criticism implied on those who dropped out last year. I'm just noting that there's no sense in planning ahead on how much to save. We can just take it as it comes. Please come back here in November to report back that you've actually saved seeds and I will then do an inventory of how many we are. Even if by November you're still waiting for seeds to dry it should be clear by then whether the seeds are there to swap.

For people who are new here: Last year we ended up with only 7 participants, but in the past up to 16 people have taken part, so if you're saving seeds to take part a rule of thumb would be to save enough for up to 32 packets of seeds divided over at least two species of edible plant.

Participants:
    1. veggiechicken
    2. Norfolkgrey
    3. Norfolk1
    4. Scarlet
    5. Elfeda
    6. planetologist
    Last edited by planetologist; 30-01-2016, 11:14 PM. Reason: Adding link to 2014 circle

Planetologist,

This is my first year with vine and garden, can I suggest you one thing. why dont we make seed circle participents with seed names than a grower?

once we all compile the list of possible partcipating seeds, grapes can choose they seed the like to offer and the seed they would like to collect from the seed circle. this way it will be clear to know what is needed and how much...when you say 32 packs of seeds out rightly, it is bit difficult to see good list of seeds,that way discourages the participants.

for example I can give my name now but I can not confirm which different seeds i would be able to share, as i will only know that in november.
    Last edited by Elfeda; 21-02-2015, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Elfeda, I don't understand what you're suggesting, could you please say in more detail what you propose? In the words of zazen999, here's how seed circles in the past have worked:
      Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      The idea is

16 of us grow some seeds for sharing out.

Then we share them out.
      Participants have always saved from at least 2 vegetables, so 2*16 makes up to 32 packets. But I'd like to make this as non-restrictive as possible, so if you'd like to save 4*8 packets of seeds or whatever that's fine with me. And if the list of participants is short again this year, then fewer seeds would do, but if you start the season planning for that and we end up with 17 participants as in 2010, then you wouldn't have enough to participate.
      set up a seed circle

Comment

I'm in. Good idea to reconfirm in November!

Not sure how many seeds you want per packet (dictates how many packs you can grow).

My beans did really well last year so I shall be happy to distribute those, also I'll be growing sweetcorn (non-F1, is that open pollinated?!).

I plan to save some sweet peas but not are how successful this will be.

I am also going to try to save some true potato seeds see here: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eed_82931.html if anyone is interested then let me know in advance and I will try to save more (so long as blight doesn't catch me).

I may have a few flower seeds beyond that but will confirm nearer the time.

Cucurbit family seeds may also be available depending on successful growing!

What does everyone else plan to save?!

Comment

I'm a tomato and chilli fan....so usually toms, chillies or beans from me. As for amounts it generally depends on the variety and how many seeds they produce. Rough guide from me is, at least 6 tom seeds, a dozen beans, chillies quite often only produce a few seeds so I think 3 or 4 is acceptable if the season is poor. Parsnips, carrots etc I use a heaped dessertspoon as they are prolific and you need quite a few to make them worthwhile to sow. Squash 4-6.

Comment

I will keep it a surprise until November-ish

Comment

I haven't even decided what to grow yet - let alone save

Comment

Me neither..but I've got all my tomato seeds spread over the table...oh, what to choose

Comment

There'll be a few more on their way soon, Scarlet - from the VSP testing pile.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    There'll be a few more on their way soon, Scarlet - from the VSP testing pile.
                    Are they home saved too?

Comment

Probably - but not by me! Do you want to test some for viability? http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...red_83260.html

Comment

The number of packets of each type of seed is the same as the number of members of the circle - that is the aim - so that everyone in the Circle has a packet of every seed that has been saved by all the members. If there were 16 members, you'd make up 16 packets and since we all save at least 2 types of seed it would be 2 x 16 = 32 packets.
                        At this stage, we don't know how many members there will be, of course

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          The number of packets of each type of seed is the same as the number of members of the circle - that is the aim - so that everyone in the Circle has a packet of every seed that has been saved by all the members. If there were 16 members, you'd make up 16 packets and since we all save at least 2 types of seed it would be 2 x 16 = 32 packets.
                          At this stage, we don't know how many members there will be, of course
                          It doesn't sound like that's right though. Planetologist also said:
                          Participants have always saved from at least 2 vegetables, so 2*16 makes up to 32 packets. But I'd like to make this as non-restrictive as possible, so if you'd like to save 4*8 packets of seeds or whatever that's fine with me.

Am confused - can someone explain?
                          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I was just trying to make the principles simpler for Elfeda - I did say the aim was to have a packet for everyone.
                            Planetologist is running the circle so its for him to decide how it operates - not me

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                              It doesn't sound like that's right though. Planetologist also said:
                              Participants have always saved from at least 2 vegetables, so 2*16 makes up to 32 packets. But I'd like to make this as non-restrictive as possible, so if you'd like to save 4*8 packets of seeds or whatever that's fine with me.

Am confused - can someone explain?
                              My understanding of it from 2014's first post was that everyone gets at least two packs from each person just not necessarily the same variety/ veg. This was to encourage more people to participate. Does that make sense?

Originally posted by planetologist
                              You can participate in the same way as last year, saving 2 kinds for everybody (or more kinds if you're really keen).
                              You can also send in seeds for fewer than everybody, so that everybody gets to choose what they'd like to receive. If you choose the latter option please offer roughly the same number of packets as people going for option 1 so that it's a fair deal. Any seeds that are not chosen will get distributed at random.
                              I would like to finish the circle this year, so please let me know what you're going to contribute by 10 November and send in your seeds by 10 December.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X