Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with you Nicos. Could drop OH at work, pick kids up from grand parents then come home and go through seeds
    Just a thought Kristen has started a when to sow your seeds thread, which is fantastic for me, could some one do one on how and when to dry your seeds. I would like to try and save my seeds but I know sounds a bit odd but worried if I do something wrong.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post

I don't want this to sound negative - I can understand why it would be difficult in this new format, but I do miss the additional info. Seed numbers, links and seed age helped me choose what to pick, and it possibly sounds self-serving but it was really nice seeing my name start to appear in the lists.
      I agree, but at the same time I am all for anything that
      1. helps make it easier for VC (she does do a wonderful job)
      2. keeps the VSP going (its a great resource and it would be horrible to lose it)
      3. stops some of us being fussy beggars and homing in on certain aspects (yes, hands up I have picked some seeds on grounds such as someone sent them in or they are from HSL etc. etc.) and in turn hopefully it gives some of the slower movers a chance.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments
        One small suggestion that may help you decide which seeds to choose from the VSP - and this is something that you can do - not me. I like that!

When you send your seeds in to the VSP, particularly the special, unusual ones, post about them at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...vsp_82134.html
        Tempt others to try them. Boast about them and make sure that your name is on the packets when you send them in

Comment

I think that more has been made of my comment than I intended! I've said often and loudly how great I think the VSP is and I try to add new/uncommon varieties in.

One suggestion I though might be useful is that there is something in the new rules about not sending in saved seed from F1s - with the caveats about accuracy, that was possible to spot in the old format.

Noviceveggrower - I run seed circles online and in real life and this is really simple and comprehensive advice about seed saving and drying seeds: seed drying and storage Though little seeds like chillies and tomatoes will be easy to dry out enough on a plate over a couple of weeks, I tend to use the rice for those too if I am planning on storing them for a while. (I'm a bit addicted to seed saving!)
          Last edited by sparrow100; 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM. Reason: wrote wrong username
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Norfolkgrey - I run seed circles online and in real life and this is really simple and comprehensive advice about seed saving and drying seeds: seed drying and storage Though little seeds like chillies and tomatoes will be easy to dry out enough on a plate over a couple of weeks, I tend to use the rice for those too if I am planning on storing them for a while. (I'm a bit addicted to seed saving!)
            Noviceveggrower might change my name soon several grapes seemed to have called us each other lately

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
              Noviceveggrower might change my name soon several grapes seemed to have called us each other lately
              Oh pants! Sorry!
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Still haven't got around to sending the seeds I wanted to send in... the real question is do I need anymore! I've just filled a propagator now.. Should I & Can I resist the temptation?!

Comment

One suggestion I though might be useful is that there is something in the new rules about not sending in saved seed from F1s - with the caveats about accuracy, that was possible to spot in the old format.
                  Saved seeds from F1s don't usually make it as far as the VSP They're consigned to the compost bin. In practice, very few saved F1 seeds are sent in.
                  However, with all the saved seeds, there are no guarantees that they are pure and haven't crossed with something else

Comment

"Normal" service has been resumed.

VSP seeds have been posted to:-
                    nellie-m
                    Zelenina
                    Lizzporter
                    Snow.

Comment

I didn't think about going out to check my mailbox until quite late yesterday. And then, big excitement!! My VSP seeds were there!!!!

Thanks you very much to VC and all the seed contributors. I hope people will enjoy growing the ones I sent in.

Sadly this might be my first and last time using the VSP as the rules have changed to not allow return addresses outside the UK. Unless I can time a swap to coincide with my occasional visits there, which is tricky. My next one will be in July for a wedding, but only for a few days. How do other non-UK residents manage it?

Comment

Glad they've arrived zelenina!

If you can provide a UK stamps and a UK forwarding address, I'll send seeds there and they can be forwarded to you. I'm trying to make the VSP easier to manage for myself. Walking to the local letterbox to post seeds is fine; driving to and queuing in the Post Office to check the postage is not.

Comment

Yes, if you have to go to the post office that would be much too troublesome. I understand that.

But isn't there a standard rate to EU countries? Can't you just weigh it at home and stick the right stamps on and pop it in the box with the UK packages? Or maybe it doesn't work that simply any more. It's a very long time since I lived there and used the UK postal system regularly.

People and companies seem to send stuff easily enough from other EU countries. I've had several seed packages from Ireland in the last few years, and I got one from France a couple of weeks ago, though it was a bit tricky ordering in French. But for some reason getting them from my home country is more difficult.

Comment

Postage depends on the size and weight of the parcel. International Standard Delivery (Formerly Airmail) | Royal Mail Group Ltd. UK stamps are essential and you were unable to buy those - so how could it operate without me going to a PO to buy them?

Comment

Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
                              Yes, if you have to go to the post office that would be much too troublesome. I understand that.

But isn't there a standard rate to EU countries? Can't you just weigh it at home and stick the right stamps on and pop it in the box with the UK packages? Or maybe it doesn't work that simply any more. It's a very long time since I lived there and used the UK postal system regularly.

People and companies seem to send stuff easily enough from other EU countries. I've had several seed packages from Ireland in the last few years, and I got one from France a couple of weeks ago, though it was a bit tricky ordering in French. But for some reason getting them from my home country is more difficult.
                              I think the main stumbling block is that you cannot send UK stamps in a SAE.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Assuming you could calculate & look up how much the postage should be then how about buying the postage online?

I think its a bit flawed, and thus a huge faff ... but maybe maybe maybe not??

In principle you can buy postage online, and print it out to stick to the envelope. Its just a barcode thingie, which works in lieu of a stamp.

What I don't think you can do is to buy it "as" a PDF (which you could then email), but a savvy person could probably "print" it to a PDF and Email the PDF.

Being Scrooge I hate sending SAE's - I have to pay the postage to get it there, as well as the return postage ... whereas if I were to email an electronic stamp instead then I only pay the one-way postage, and I'm happy happy happy Need to figure a way to pay for the envelope too of course ..

.. I have done it by sending the money for the P&P, via PayPal, but that jacks up the cost for their commission
                                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X