This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NEW Virtual Seed Parcel

The Virtual Seed Parcel is only open to Grapes with a UK return address!

Revised Seed swap conditions now apply - namely, you must have been a member of the Grapevine for at least Three months and have made more than 50 posts during those Three months.

The 50 recent posts rule applies to all Grapes, whenever they joined.

A Maximum of 20 packets of seeds can be sent out of the VSP at a time. There is no limit on the number of packets sent in.

The idea:

This is a Virtual Seed Swap, where you decide for example that you have 10 packs of seeds that you don't want, and you want to exchange them for 10 on the list that you do want. You pack them up and send them to Veggie Chicken who will swap them for 10 packs on the list and send them back to you. If you only want to swap one or two packets that's OK - you don't need 10 packets to participate.

The instructions:

If you have seeds to swap, have a look at the seedlists at ......... .http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...sts_83433.html.............. and draw up your wish list.

Then send veggiechicken a PM for an address to which to send your swaps.

Seeds are picked on a first come first served basis, so if you and 3 others choose the one remaining packet of seeds, and the pack isn't big enough to split - then the first one to get their swaps to VC bags it.

When you send your seeds, you need to also send:
    at least 2 Large Letter UK postage stamps;
    a label with your return address ;
    your 'want' list with your name and your Grape name on it.

Do use some common sense though, the postage that you send in needs to cover the postage back; so if you are sending 10 packs of tomatoes but want 10 packs of peas back; these will weigh more and be thicker so might go into the next postal rate up from what you send in.

As this is a community type swap; stamps may not be sent back, as if only [for example] 3p needs to be added, a stamp to that value will be used rather than waste postage and it gives the VSP more flexibility on postage rates. We may split packages up so that postage is kept as low as possible.

We will also be reusing envelopes/bags, so please make sure they are not falling apart at the seams!

Please put a sender's address on your envelope when sending seeds, so that if they get lost they come back to you.

If you are splitting larger packs down, please pack them into these amounts (or more) before sending:

6-10 tomato/pepper/aubergines/squashes
    10-15 beans/peas
    30 brassicas/lettuces
    50 mustard/radish
    100 carrots/onions

This is also a guide to how many seeds you can expect in return.

Please write legibly on each packet:
    Type
    Variety
    No of seeds
    Your Vine name
    Sow by dates or date seeds collected
    Anything else you think is needed; such as 'self saved', 'Mr Fothergills' etc.

Please make sure the packets that you send in are actually sealed - we've had quite a few that have not been sealed properly and half the seeds were in the bottom of the envelope mixed with other seeds at the bottom - thus rendering some of the bags useless.

So in essence:
    Pack your seeds into equivalents (if already opened) and label them:
    Choose your seeds from the http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...sts_83433.html
    List what you want
    PM VC
    Send your seeds with stamps & address label
    Wait for the Postie

We aim for a 2 week turnaround at most [outside of the Festive season] .

Any questions please post them on here.

Happy Swapping.

p.s....this does not preclude swapping or offering swaps on this board, it is in addition to it.
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 26-05-2015, 11:09 PM.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    A Maximum of 20 packets of seeds can be swapped at a time.
    You knew I would end up asking something......

Is that max. in or max. out or both? (i.e. if it is seed saving time of year can we send you 30 and only take out 20)

Comment

Good question NG. Its Max OUT. I don't mind how many are sent in - you'll only get 20 back
      "Rules" amended accordingly
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 31-01-2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I've just read your updated list. Must of taken ages to sort out.
        Darn it there's some really good things on there and I haven't got ant spare seeds to send in. Double darn it.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh my that is a big list! Congrats on working through it, during puppy mayhem aswell.

I don't want this to sound negative - I can understand why it would be difficult in this new format, but I do miss the additional info. Seed numbers, links and seed age helped me choose what to pick, and it possibly sounds self-serving but it was really nice seeing my name start to appear in the lists.
          Last edited by sparrow100; 31-01-2015, 09:00 PM.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

NVG...you need to start seed saving . If you just keep one plant for seed saving you can bag 100s, toms/chillies or beans are easy. Parsnips/carrots will give you thousands if you can wait 2 years

Comment

I appreciate that some of the info was useful/interesting but it was impossible to keep it all up to date. Imagine that you have 3 lots of the identical seed from 3 different people. All different quantities, ages, sources. Which one would you add a comment for? - because there wasn't room for everything. It was at best a guide, but was never completely accurate.

Quite honestly, if the VSP hadn't been stripped down to its present form, it would have folded. It takes up a lot of my free time as it is.

The links went to Goggle search engine - that's easy enough for anyone to do.

The VSP website was sponsored and operated outside of the Forum and GYO and was always reliant on the sponsor's goodwill - which could be withdrawn at any time. That would have been the end of the VSP.

I have been weeding out the old seeds - hence the request for viability testers - and I will be taking out more, over time. There can be no guarantees about any seeds that have been sent to the VSP - it relies on the info provided by the donor.

If everyone puts their names on the seeds they send in, they we can all share the Lurve when they grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                NVG...you need to start seed saving . If you just keep one plant for seed saving you can bag 100s, toms/chillies or beans are easy. Parsnips/carrots will give you thousands if you can wait 2 years
                Yes but "I need them" as my 4 year old will tell you. I intend to save seeds this year but I think its a confidence thing when to pick them and how to dry them properly. There's no way I could wait 2 years for carrots or parsnips.
                sigpic

Comment

I did say I could understand why it is the way it is now...
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                    I do miss the additional info. Seed numbers, links and seed age helped me choose what to pick, and it possibly sounds self-serving but it was really nice seeing my name start to appear in the lists.
                    Me too! I loved seeing my name on the lists I just dont think any of us realised how much time VC was spending on it I bagged and sorted a few to send off a few weeks ago and I nearly lost the will to live!

Comment

Out of interest there are currently 817 different types of seed in the VSP, including 113 Red tomatoes, 110 Flowers, 89 cucurbits, 74 brassicas and 64 beans.
                      I have absolutely no idea how many packets there are

Comment

Market stall to open in the near future.......................
                        Last edited by Bigmallly; 31-01-2015, 11:13 PM.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Out of interest there are currently 817 different types of seed in the VSP, including 113 Red tomatoes, 110 Flowers, 89 cucurbits, 74 brassicas and 64 beans.
                          I've not been following the VSP, and just now popped in for a look-see.

What a massive undertaking, looks utterly daunting to me, well done
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I agree with Kristen and Scarlet I don't think any of use realise how much of your spare time the VSP takes VC. Without your time and effort it wouldn't exist.
                            I'm not bothered about who sent the seeds in. I just know we have some great gardeners out there and if they put some of their saved seeds in then that's fantastic. Its great that they have especially some of the more unusual stuff for others to try.
                            sigpic

Comment

You know what?
                              Seeing those lists ....has made me want to go through my seeds( any excuse eh?) and donate varieties not mentioned!
                              I'm sure I must have something different!

VC....hats off to you gal
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X