This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, I'm confused now ....
    I've bagged 30 bags of parsnip seeds, 30 bags of habs- 6 seeds in each and 30 bags of cape gooseberries - 8 seeds in each pack. Thinking we may get around 20-30 people in the circle?

Comment

• I probably have angelica too, not sure I have enough sweet pea current toms seeds tho, may be only a few each if I do?
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

• edited quote:
        Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
        "Once we have the list at the end of the year, you can choose what you want" (Zaz)

I liked this first idea of letting people choose from a list.

saying what varieties are offered by whom,

If updating the list is too time-consuming (as Zaz would have to go through all the old posts which seems a pain to me )
        I also understood this was the plan.
        But I can also see that it might be too much to ask Andrea to organise both the inventory and the distribution, so I'd be happy to organise the inventory. I'll propose a method below, but I'm also happy to discuss whether this is what we want at all first.

It could work like this:
        everybody sends me a comma separate list of:
        plant name, variety, contributing grape, optional: maximum number of packets.
        I collate and alphabetically sort it, then send it back out.
        Everybody sends me their choices:
        plant name, variety, contributing grape, receiving grape
        I check that the maximum number is not exceeded, sort it by contributing grape and send it out.
        Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
        Then everyone packs up their seeds, writes the name of the receiving grape on each packet, and then we send them in (with SAE and stamps), Zaz sorts them into our envelopes
        Would make sense to write your grapevine name on the inside flap of the SAE.

Comment

• Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
          Sorry but I still feel a bit confused about how this is going to work. I went back to the first page to be sure but back then Zaz said it was going to work like Paullieb said:

"Once we have the list at the end of the year, you can choose what you want" (Zaz)
          Yes that was going to be how it would work if there were about 40 odd people. But at the moment there are less than 20. But if you guys all want to sort it then great.
          Last edited by zazen999; 24-10-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• If we're going to for the everything-for-everybody then I will contribute carrot autumn king and flat leaved parsley, but if we can offer a maximum number of packets, that would look something like:
            carrot, Autumn king, planetologist, 24
            parsley, flat-leaved, planetologist, 24
            lovage, just lovage, planetologist, 10
            dill, just dill, planetologist, 5
            scorzonera, long black, planetologist, 5
            raspberry, autumn, planetologist, 2
            blackcurrant, mid-season (Ben something), planetologist, 2

Comment

• Does this mean that people giving only say, 5 packets of seed only get 5 choices? And who gets first dibs on the more popular ones? And if someone comes in last with 20 packets of x does that mean they get 20 packets of what everyone else didn't want?

To be honest, it's always worked just fine if everyone sends in the same number of packets and everyone gets the same set back. But if you think you can work out the logistics...and make it fair....

Otherwise we may as well send all our seeds to the VSP and forget the circles altogether.
              Last edited by zazen999; 25-10-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• I'm getting confused now ( although I have had a very long week )
                Only my opinion but think we should leave it as it was... Still hope to offer Mila's Bulgarian Red sweet pepper, so in case I can't my opinion maybe should not count
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                  I'm getting confused now ( although I have had a very long week )
                  Only my opinion but think we should leave it as it was... Still hope to offer Mila's Bulgarian Red sweet pepper, so in case I can't my opinion maybe should not count
                  Sounds tasty...yum

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    Does this mean that people giving only say, 5 packets of seed only get 5 choices?
                    I can only speak for myself but personally I'd be happy to send in a hundred packets or more, even if I only want one or two back, or even none - as long as I know someone actually wants to use the stuff I'm sending

And who gets first dibs on the more popular ones?
                    And if someone comes in last with 20 packets of x does that mean they get 20 packets of what everyone else didn't want?
                    I think there should be a deadline for joining.
                    Then, if we do as Planetologist kindly offered (thank you!) and make a final list, the available seeds can still be divided between the number of people who actually want them. There would have to be a deadline for choosing as well.

Like so:

December 1st: final date for joining the circle
                    Until December 5th: final date for sending our lists to Planetologist
                    Until, say, Dec. 10th: Planetologist compiles the complete list and Zaz posts it on the first page (or whatever seems easy and sensible to let everyone know)
                    December 15th: deadline for choosing what you want. We send a list of our wishes as well as our postal address to Planetologist, who writes everyone's wishes into the list, then sends it out to everybody by private message so we know what to pack up and how many packets to divide the seeds into, with the names of the receiving grapes on each packet.
                    Dec. 20th: deadline for sending all seeds, SAE, stamps to Zaz, who waits for everyone's letters to arrive, sorts the seeds into the SAEs and takes them to the post office.

BTW I think it would be best NOT to sort the list alphabetically, but keep everyone's offers grouped together. Much more convenient when it comes to packing up our seeds, and makes it less likely to overlook someone's name.

I think that is a way that could work, we'd get to choose from a much broader range of varieties and still all get whatever we'd like to try.

P.S. the dates are just examples
                    Last edited by nellie-m; 26-10-2013, 09:34 AM.
                    ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• To be honest Ive just been bagging up 20 bags of each variety, smaller amounts of seeds in the toms to the angelica. If there is any excess I will send it to the vsp.
                      For my self I would like as much as possible....sound greedy don't I!! Its just I would use some in my school group too. There would be some I wouldn't want such as sorrel or dill, for example, as I have enough of my own....so would pass that to the VSP. But whatever you decide is ok by me.
                      Logistically it sounds a nightmare! I have a ridiculous amount of angelica!

Comment

• Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
                        I can only speak for myself but personally I'd be happy to send in a hundred packets or more, even if I only want one or two back, or even none - as long as I know someone actually wants to use the stuff I'm sending

I think there should be a deadline for joining.
                        Then, if we do as Planetologist kindly offered (thank you!) and make a final list, the available seeds can still be divided between the number of people who actually want them. There would have to be a deadline for choosing as well.

Like so:

December 1st: final date for joining the circle
                        Until December 5th: final date for sending our lists to Planetologist
                        Until, say, Dec. 10th: Planetologist compiles the complete list and Zaz posts it on the first page (or whatever seems easy and sensible to let everyone know)
                        December 15th: deadline for choosing what you want. We send a list of our wishes as well as our postal address to Planetologist, who writes everyone's wishes into the list, then sends it out to everybody by private message so we know what to pack up and how many packets to divide the seeds into, with the names of the receiving grapes on each packet.
                        Dec. 20th: deadline for sending all seeds, SAE, stamps to Zaz, who waits for everyone's letters to arrive, sorts the seeds into the SAEs and takes them to the post office.

BTW I think it would be best NOT to sort the list alphabetically, but keep everyone's offers grouped together. Much more convenient when it comes to packing up our seeds, and makes it less likely to overlook someone's name.

I think that is a way that could work, we'd get to choose from a much broader range of varieties and still all get whatever we'd like to try.

P.S. the dates are just examples
                        Its hard enough getting people to stick to one deadline...

'Pack your seeds into x bags, and send to Zaz by the end of December with an SAE and £2.60 stamps and I'll send you yours in the new year' versus the above.

I'm really not being funny but this is to share all the seeds; the idea of choosing was because we had issues around the separate groups last year and it was a suggestion if ALL the people wanted to be involved. As it is, the number is about the same as there would be in one circle. I really don't want to
                        a - be sorting out a pick list for every person
                        b - trying to sort out who gets all 20 packs of dill that are left over when everyone picks the rarer stuff.
                        c - trying to resolve arguments.

What will end up happening is that I'll have to split and rebag them all so that everyone can have them.

So unless it's an all in, everyone gets the same, I'm not really interested - hence saying previously that if others want to sort it, then feel free.

There really is no need and this way everyone really does get the same. If people only have enough seed for 5 people, then either split the seed to [the number we end up with] and have less seed in the packets or don't sent it in.

The only way I'd consider this is if I wait until I get everything, and then post the list with the numbers and then people can select their choices. But it's a heck of alot of faffing.
                        Last edited by zazen999; 26-10-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• 'Pack your seeds into x bags, and send to Zaz by the end of December with an SAE and £2.60 stamps and I'll send you yours in the new year'
                          still sounds easiest to me

Comment

• I agree whole heartedly Zazen has the right idea so much the best and easiest to manage solution. I di put forward to be put on the list but not sure if it was picked up,so please could I be added. Thank you

Comment

• yep agree with zaz tbh, easiest is best and any thing I don't want will be sent to vsp. Equally the huge amount of excess angelica I have will be sent to the vsp!
                              I personally love an all in circle, even if each person just sends one or two packets thats a heck of a lot of seeds.....lovely stuff! But it does need to be straight forward to do I think. If you get seed you don't want just pass it on. Equally if you don't have enough try again next year with the same variety. Im doing a Leeds seed circle and I said no to a pick and choose system, you will always get seed you don't like or already have but that's the nature of the game, it can just be given to someone else to try. I prefer a simple life!

Comment

• Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
                                I agree whole heartedly Zazen has the right idea so much the best and easiest to manage solution. I di put forward to be put on the list but not sure if it was picked up,so please could I be added. Thank you
                                You get added by stating what you have to share...if you do that and await instructions, and send it to me by the end of December then you're in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X