This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dane End Dolly View Post
    Hi have been lurking for ages umming and ahhing but here i go.

can i join in please, i will be saving seed for Ruth Bible pole bean which is a drying bean plant from America and probably something else but i have to look at what I am growing and how much of it.

regards

K
    welcome!!.....cool, a different bean....i'm all for uncommon varieties!!.
    Finding Home

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
      Yea! Another person!
      Hi DED Welcome to the group,
      Kernowyon - How do you send an invite to our group?
      i think i am the only one who can it's on its way.
      Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
      Bob Dylan

Comment

I think I've finally come up with:
        Mrs. Fortune's climbing bean
        Blue Hubbard Squash
        if they fail(!)
        Lettuce Fat Lazy Blonde
        Carlin Pea

Comment

Hi Dane End Dolly, welcome.
          Thanks Torreya.

Comment

I can do

Madiera maroom cfb
            gravedigger pea
            French Black tomato (my own third generation)
            Humberstone Banana shallot (my own 4th generation)

May be some more when I root round

Comment

Great PW, those sound interesting...the legendary shallots! (Is Humberstone your addition to the name?)

Comment

It is, co s thats where they have been grown. They originate from Northern France.

Comment

oh my god the famous pigletwillie french tomato, i would so like to try some of those one year, everyone raves about them.

regards

k

Comment

My 2nd seed saving plant will be the sikkim cucumber, i have 1 very strong plant to go in the greenhouse and i will be sowing more for outside this weekend

Kx

Comment

How many seeds do we need to save for each item? I dont know if it should be 10s or 100s!
                      I am thinking, as I seem to have loads of success with chillis (so far touch wood ) of saving one type of them for one item? Would this be ok? I have bolivian rainbow, prairie fire, tabasco, (all big plants) and some habaneros on the go.
                      Maybe (depending how they come out though) some cherokee trail of tears, or minidor for the second one?
                      Comments welcome!

Comment

thats a good question northepaul. i'm not sure how many to 'budget' for each person(not even sure how many are in the swap....must look!). i'm kinda banking on one bean plant per person (dwarf with only a handful of pods). that should give me enough to share out, some for me and some to handle any disasters!. as for the tomato seeds...i'm not sure how many per person.

some guidance from experienced seed swappers would be useful.
                        Finding Home

Comment

OH I wont have enough bean plants to do one per person - I was thinking around 6 beans each!!
                          will have to re-think something thats going to produce lots of seeds....
                          Trouble is, I only have so much land...

Comment

After giving this some thought, I think I am going to have to drop out of the circle.

I dont have the quantities available that are needed to share, and I also dont think I have the experience to know which thing is best to grow etc. You lot are much more adept at these things.

Thanks anyway and hope this is not a pain for the organiser

Good luck with it.

Comment

It would be a shame for you to drop out!
                              I'd be happy to get just 6 beans - HSL send them out in 10's so you are not far short!
                              Tomatoes, chillis and cukes are sent in 3,4 or 5 so you don't get too many of anything!
                              Your chillis sound interesting so you could save a couple of those (more seeds per fruit) - you don't have to send out all of the same thing, why not wait and see what you have a lot of? Personally I'd be happy to get a few seeds of the different chillis as they are quite expensive to buy.

Comment

on my goodness.....dont drop out cos of what i said northepaul. i'm sorry if i've caused you some distress.

i'm only banking on 1 dwarf plant per person, cos i know last year when i grew them i think i only got 3 or 4 pods per plant. i really dont know how many seeds we should be sharing out (cos i've not done this before), and i'm happy to have loads leftover as i want to save seed to cook with over winter.

if you can only grow enough to share 6 beans per person, thats fine by me.

please rethink, and if our organiser or more experienced swapper could give us some guidence, that would be useful.
                                Finding Home

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X