Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Burnzie, yep I'm hoping to save the Blues, problem is, I've got a load of 'new' varieties of heritage ones - if that makes sense??? - so I don't want too many cross-pollinating. Any suggestions on keeping them as pure as poss? On the other hand, a cross between a white pumpkin, yellow patty pan and blue hubbard really would be something!!
    Rosemary

Comment

Originally posted by Torreya View Post
      Thanks Burnzie, yep I'm hoping to save the Blues, problem is, I've got a load of 'new' varieties of heritage ones - if that makes sense??? - so I don't want too many cross-pollinating. Any suggestions on keeping them as pure as poss? On the other hand, a cross between a white pumpkin, yellow patty pan and blue hubbard really would be something!!
      Rosemary
      Zazen is the one to ask about cross pollunation, or rather not, in squashes Rosemary.
      Try doing a vine search, as I am sure I read something she had written on it

Comment

Hi Torreya,

big blue frilly dumplings ?

wonder if they would taste as good as they would surely look !

Burnzie

Comment

Hi Torreya. Yes, there's room left. Since all the vegetables you're proposing are already on the list I'm not too particular about the varieties.
          There are instructions for saving seeds on squashes at the bottom of this page:
          Vegetable Seed : Courgettes & Summer Squash
          Last edited by planetologist; 20-01-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Just to say I thought I'd put Piccolo toms as one of my things Iwould be growing not sure what else to pick out at the moment but will try and decide in the not too distant future. I'm still trying to acclimitise to the cold weather.

Comment

Would people please say what they think of there currently being 4 varieties of tomatoes on offer, and thus that we have less diversity in other things? Since my goal is to not buy any seeds any more, I think this is not ideal, but would like to keep things democratic.

Torreya, if you would like to save seed from one of your squashes, I could try contributing carrot seed instead of the squash I proposed. As carrot seed doesn't keep I think it would be nice to include it in the circle. I do have to say, though, that the carrots I grew last year, though nominally called autumn king were quite variable with some yellow and one or two white carrots, but mostly they tasted nice anyway. In fact, I think there was only one that looked odd, though orange, and was a bit tough.

Comment

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
                Would people please say what they think of there currently being 4 varieties of tomatoes on offer, and thus that we have less diversity in other things? Since my goal is to not buy any seeds any more, I think this is not ideal, but would like to keep things democratic.

Torreya, if you would like to save seed from one of your squashes, I could try contributing carrot seed instead of the squash I proposed. As carrot seed doesn't keep I think it would be nice to include it in the circle. I do have to say, though, that the carrots I grew last year, though nominally called autumn king were quite variable with some yellow and one or two white carrots, but mostly they tasted nice anyway. In fact, I think there was only one that looked odd, though orange, and was a bit tough.
                Hi planetologist.....my thoughts on the tomatoes....

i'm ok with the fact theres 4 varieties.
                how about if we get any new people to the swap we ask that they choose something other than toms if at all possible?.
                i could change my tom but it would be to another bean of some sort....i'm basing my decision on last years successes for me....i managed to grow and harvest seed from beans and my Amish Paste toms. being as i have to grow a larger quantity for this swap i want to make sure i can deliver the goods!.
                the other bean options for me would be a dwarf french green or yellow bean.

could i also ask if its possible for you to edit the list in the opening post a bit more....could you change the colour of each persons username and also since we're a group working on the same task, how do people feel about having our proper names next to our usernames, since we'll no doubt be chatting in his thread as we go along? (am used to hosting swaps on a craft forum). i'm asking because i'm finding it hard to read that list as it is.
                no worries if its not possible.
                Finding Home

Comment

for me personally I don't mind there being four toms, but that should be about it for them, I generally grow 6 or so varieties anyway.

Planetologist, the sweet peppers it is then.
                  Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                  Bob Dylan

Comment

KiwiRach, we could set up an invite only social group to do most of our chat on. they are accessed on the user cp.
                    real names dont really bother me as it is quite easy to find me on fb anyway! along with a mugshot
                    Kernow rag nevra

Bob Dylan

Comment

Sorry about adding the 4th tom but I thought it would be one most people would like to try. I can also offer (hopefully) Leek Giant Bulgarian,Banana Shallots or Dwarf Kenya Beans. Trying to type this with one eye on the roast so a bit unfocused as to what there already is. Will try and look at that later, already posted I mean not the roas otherwise it could be burnt offerings.

Comment

4 toms, not a problem for me.
                        If you want me to change then I can no problem
                        the social group sounds like a great idea

Comment

OK, since 4 of you think it's fine as it is, I'll not worry about the tomatoes then.

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
                          could i also ask if its possible for you to edit the list in the opening post a bit more....could you change the colour of each persons username
                          Done.

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
                          and also since we're a group working on the same task, how do people feel about having our proper names next to our usernames, since we'll no doubt be chatting in his thread as we go along?
                          Kernowyon, your offer to set up a social group sounds good to me as well.

wollyanna, I'd be interested in the Banana Shallots.

Comment

just bumping this up to see if any more grapes are interested. places still available.
                            Kernow rag nevra

Bob Dylan

Comment

Hi have been lurking for ages umming and ahhing but here i go.

can i join in please, i will be saving seed for Ruth Bible pole bean which is a drying bean plant from America and probably something else but i have to look at what I am growing and how much of it.

regards

K

Comment

Yea! Another person!
                                Hi DED Welcome to the group,
                                Kernowyon - How do you send an invite to our group?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X