Herb of Satan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently 75% of taste is smell.

For me coriander smells/tastes of damp rotting cardboard.

Can't stand the stuff.

valmarg

Comment

I enjoyed the heated argument here, i didn't realise the site allowed swearing.

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
        I enjoyed the heated argument here, i didn't realise the site allowed swearing.
        We dont, nor do we allow personal attacts but a bit of banter is ok.

Transgressions get you put on the naughty step.....................or worse

Comment

Not everyone watches Catherine Tate, the comment made could easily be taken the wrong way. Personally I love coriander and lime juice on salad but I am not sure what to do with tarragon.

Comment

I love tarragon and use it with salmon and trout and also with scrambled eggs and omlettes.

Comment

i cannot for the life of me grow herbs tried last year and they didnt grow at all.any tips as i would love to harvest my own corriander,mint,chives,basil
              any ideas as i have a sunny spot i could put an container or some kind of construction like a mini herb bed
              x
              joanne geldard

Comment

Hi Jo Jo

Corriander is quite easy to germinate, I did some about a fortnight ago in a cold greenhouse and its come through (first set of leaves). If you grow mint, keep it in a pot as its quite invasive, one sprig of mint clumps up pretty fast if put in the ground.

I tried basil last year, it germinated ok but growing on was difficult until the weather really warmed up, basil doesn't tolerate temperatures below 5c. This year I'm going to grow on a south facing window sill and see if this is better.

I have just planted up a window box with perienal herbs, I think the best tip is to make sure the soil is free draining, I use the polystyreen plant boxes broken down into pieces in the bottom of my pots this helps with drainage. Compost that has grit incorporated also works.
                http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Corriander is probably my fave herb - grow tons of the stuff and sometimes buy a big bunch of the stuff to boost my crop. Love the smell on my hands when I've cut it and basically all of you who think it's pants are quite clearly wrong!!!!!!!

Taragon however tastes of aniceed which is blantantly rubbish............ but not as bad as sweetcorn which is the all time food of the devil! Don't argue, you know I'm right!

Re the taste smell thing, OH has lost the smell senses at the top of his nose and cos of that some things taste funny however he still likes corriander so there must be more to it than that - but isn't there always?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi Alison. Yes, it depends on what part is missing; it is something that scientists are only just understanding now. It also depends on communication paths between the nose, tounge and brain.

I think it's really interesting how some people love somethings, while others hate it - I love sweetcorn.
                    Last edited by seed addiction; 24-03-2008, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seed addiction View Post
                      I think it's really interesting how some people love somethings, while others hate it - I love sweetcorn.
                      Yeah but as I said before, you are wrong about this, it is definitely food of the devil - even the body doesn't want to touch it so it comes out as it goes in!!!!!!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

corriander love it...........sprouts hated them for years, but read last year that the new generation have had the bitterness bred out of them so tried them at christmas and i loved them, gonna grow some this year
                        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post

............ but not as bad as sweetcorn which is the all time food of the devil! Don't argue, you know I'm right!
                          Have you ever tried eating sweetcorn raw within a few seconds of picking Alison? Not the green giant crap or even the so called fresh rubbish from the supermarket.

You have to grow it yourself and, as I say, eat it raw within seconds of picking Mmmmm! I defy you NOT to enjoy it!

All I can say is if THAT is the food of the Devil he must have stole the Ambrosia from the Gods!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Tarragon is lovely in mushroom soup. Mmmmmm
                            Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Have you ever tried eating sweetcorn raw within a few seconds of picking Alison? Not the green giant crap or even the so called fresh rubbish from the supermarket.

You have to grow it yourself and, as I say, eat it raw within seconds of picking Mmmmm! I defy you NOT to enjoy it!

All I can say is if THAT is the food of the Devil he must have stole the Ambrosia from the Gods!
                              Yeah, have been told that so grew it last year - horrible stuff, think it's the way you bite through the shell bit and it bursts like a zit, makes me heave. OH loved all the frest stuff tho and is still eating it from the freezer so at least somebody is happy and it was nice to have a sucessful crop last year as they were pretty few and far between

Comment

Corriander is really awful! Smells of cat pee and is evil! Especially when it sneaks into a salad disguised as flat leaf parsley and makes you gag!
                                I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X