Herb of Satan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb of Satan

I read a while back that wild herbs have evolved to develop flavours that would be unpalletable to the beasties that might eat them. But....

Humans they like to use them to add 'Improve' the taste of their food

I can agree on most herbs, but two in particular send me running to the sink....

Tarragon - the dirty French Bas**rds.
    Coriander - I blame Delia. Even my Thai mates think its crap

Discuss

Coriander?! It's gorgeous! If you're talking spawn of the devil you should have goji berries way up there. Gak!
    Resistance is fertile

Comment

i love coriander - have a few leaves with lettuce on my sandwich for lunch most days! couldn't live without it!
      Last edited by deezyb; 20-03-2008, 09:56 PM.
      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

French Tarragon is grand, Russian is pants.

As for corriander, it is indeed the food of the devil and even disguises itself to look a bit like flat leaf parsley to catch out the unwary. Its cack.

Comment

Coriander is loverly. Used as garnish in curries works a treat and taste fab in Oriental style clear soup or noodle soup. My DH hates them, insist they taste too soapy which I agree but don't care.
          Food for Free

Comment

i love corriander just with a bit of cheese and ham in a sarnie, tarragon i only use sparingly

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
              Coriander?! It's gorgeous! If you're talking spawn of the devil you should have goji berries way up there. Gak!
              Shirls wanted a sub to GYO which I sorted for her yesterday. Included is a free gift of 3 Goji trees or berries...
              Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
              Cut your engines, cool your wings,
              You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by Maf View Post
                Tarragon - the dirty French Bas**rds.

Discuss
                Ignorant git!!! End of discussion.
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Coriander leaves to me have a sickly smell and taste yet I will keep growing it for the seeds which I really like!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                    Ignorant git!!! End of discussion.

How rude (and very to type )

Perhaps you should try the Accroissez Votre Propre Forum

Comment

Love tarragon, loathe coriander, even the smell of it growing is something akin to a wet grizzly bear and things just get worse once you've picked it.

They're starting to grow cilantro coriander on a vast scale in the southern US, I've an awful feeling that in order to sell that amount it will have to become the next 'superfood'. (if you look at the list, green tea excepted, everything on it just happens to have the US as a major, or the major, exporter. I've always been suspicious of that)
                      Last edited by bluemoon; 21-03-2008, 09:37 AM.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Maf View Post
                        How rude (and very to type )

Perhaps you should try the Accroissez Votre Propre Forum
                        And my type is what, especially if you have the audacity to type 'the dirty French b@st@rds' with or without asterisks?
                        Last edited by pigletwillie; 23-03-2008, 01:39 PM.
                        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Another coriander fan here - love the stuff! (especially in butternut squash soup)

The title of the thread reminded me of the flat-leaved parsley in my salad bed, currently known as The Parsley That Would Not Die Each time we've had a hard frost it has wilted, only to spring back up bigger and greener than before! Maybe it's the chicken manure I spread on the bed after I cleared up all the tatty remains of the old salad leaves...

Comment

coriander leaves - blergh, gives me terrible stomach ache, deffo the herb of the devil
                            However, corriander seeds - lovely in curries, how can they come from the same plant?!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                              And my type is what, especially if you have the audacity to type 'the dirty French b@st@rds' with or without asterisks?
                              I think it was meant as a joke. The phrase is featured on The Catherine Tate Show, by a couple of Little Englanders who hate anything "foriegn" in food.
                              Last edited by pigletwillie; 23-03-2008, 01:40 PM.
                              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X