No announcement yet.

Herb of Satan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of it's cultural too. My mum was a no nonsense plain English cook. The nearest we got to a herb as kids was mint in the new potatoes and parsley with the fish. We also lived in a small village that just didn't have the likes of Indian or Chinese restaurants, as a result I was 22 before I first smelt curry, it made me vomit then and it makes me vomit now. I'm trying to be more adventurous and I do use a fair selection of herbs, but there are some things which I just can't get past and curry is one of them, I just don't understand how anyone can smell it and then voluntarily put it in their mouth, though I'm sure that if I'd been offered it as a kid I'd probably be able to eat it now without trouble.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Well....
      I've sat back to watch this thread develop and here are some of my thoughts....

Yes. I love Catherine Tate.
      The sketch that uses the 'dirty b*st*rds' punch line is taking the p*ss out of Yorkshire folk.

I'm yorkshire, born and bred. I'm proud to be the subject of Ms Tate's ridicule.. she's got it right...we tell it like it is

So back to my point...
      Tarragon...The Dirty French B*st*rds
      Yorkshire Puddings ??? The Dirty Yorkshire B*st*rds

Come on folks.. Given the choice.. who would choose tarragon over Yorkies ?

I didn't mean to slag the french bloke (tho I'm sure the Frogs slag the Roastbeefs equally )

So can someone that is cleverer than a tarragon hating yorkshireman set up a fav herb poll ?

Comment

Come on folks.. Given the choice.. who would choose tarragon over Yorkies ?

I didn't mean to slag the french bloke (tho I'm sure the Frogs slag the Roastbeefs equally )

So can someone that is cleverer than a tarragon hating yorkshireman set up a fav herb poll ?[/QUOTE

I did choose a Yorkie to a tarragon......that was twentyfive years ago.....Big Mistake!!. The Yorkie developed to a true follower to fresh basil, home made pesto and salsa verde. The Sicilian ( Me ) developed a taste for terragons. Yorkies and Terragons don't mix together....The Yorkie divorced me. My fault? .....I was only trying mixing chopped tarragon with my yorkshire batter mix.
        Favourite herbs?
        Basil, parsley, chives, rosemary, sage, bayleaf, (tarragon only as necessary ) and yes coriander.
        Regards
        Don Vincenzo

Comment

I just think both can be really overpowering. They are strong flavours but used delicately can truly enhance a dish.

As to the Garlic eating surrender monkeys...I thought you just chose to live there Tony. I married one!.which means I get a whole family's worth of frogs into the bag...and will no doubt have all privileges withdrawn if she reads this

Comment

I love coriander and tarragon - in the right recipes! And I only like coriander when I know that's what it is - not when it's disguised as parsley. Otherwise it's a bit like having a bit of tomato and finding out it's chili...

OH hates coriander so I probably won't grow much.
            Last edited by heebiejeebie; 30-03-2008, 07:38 AM.
            You are a child of the universe,
            no less than the trees and the stars;
            you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X