This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    I have a Zepherine Drouhin. Used to be in full sun against the house wall. Never did well, suffered severely from blackspot every year. Two years ago, I moved it to a shady spot against a fence. It now gets only about an hour of early morning sun, and it has a slab with a tub on it containing an apple tree over its root space.The top is in the sun in the late afternoon. It's covered in flowers and no trace of blackspot since the move. I think it was just too hot and dry.

Roses grow very well and very healthy in shade, I find.
    That's very interesting mothhawk. Zepherine is a lovely rose, and the perfume knocks your socks off. I'm not too keen on regular spraying though, so had given up on this one.
    Last edited by Babru; 27-05-2019, 07:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
      That's very interesting mothhawk. Zepherine is a lovely rose, and the perfume knocks your socks off. I'm not too keen on regular spraying though, so has given up on this one.
      I don't spray anything, at all. I figure if things get sick, they are not in the right place, and with pests, I wait for the predators
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

My Roses are just opening up and if it ever stops raining I'll take some pictures, I only squirt the greenfly with soapy water, I don't spray any chemicals at all.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          My Roses are just opening up and if it ever stops raining I'll take some pictures, I only squirt the greenfly with soapy water, I don't spray any chemicals at all.
          Soapy water is a chemical, isn't it? it's going to kill ladybird and lacewing larvae just as surely as the aphids.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

True, but there are chemicals and chemicals (if you know what I mean!) I squash as many greenfly as I can, and lightly brush them off too. However this year all my plants are absolutely COVERED in greenfly. I do think it's the worst I've ever seen, presumably due to the mild winter. Some of the shoot tips are very distorted due to the blighters.

I've invested in some Uncle Tom's Rose Tonic to try to boost the plants into fighting off baddies. Hope it works. It wasn't cheap, but then neither were the roses, and they are not a pretty sight right now.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D93D4DDA-243A-4E0C-9985-7A40EF5BC8CA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	2383759Here’s a picture of my new rose, planted out last season
              Smells lovely
              Nannys make memories

Comment

My Ena Harkness rose blossom ed over the weekend.
                Beautiful dark wine colour and perfume to die for.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Friend or foe?

Are these little guys eating my rose buds? Or are they eating the things that are eating my rose buds?

Name:	RoseCaterpillars1.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	2383767 Click image for larger version

Name:	RoseCaterpillars2.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2383768
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

caterpillars are generally vegetarians, so likely to be eating the leaves.

Comment

• Buff Beauty has started opening buds over the last few days, sorry pic is into the sun.

Name:	IMG_20190530_182349.jpg
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	2383826

Comment

• Just love roses - my Gertrude has opened her first flower this morning plus Evelyn, I'll try to get a pic later. I have to keep her in a pot and move her into the greenhouse for the worst of the winter weather as she's a bit tender - but soooo beautiful

Done it... mm think I must have shaky hands

Name:	IMG_20190601_111607.jpg
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	2383832
                        Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• That's gorgeous!

I've got a peach one that's opened fully today....I can't remember the name.

Name:	2D53E8A8-807C-43F3-A121-97079EF97D61.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	2383839

Comment

• Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                            Pascali, Valencia, Elina and Just Joey.

Should I expect anything this summer? So far they've put on some leaves, but apart from that they're just sitting there...
                            What have you got this year?

Comment

• Here's my rescued rose (found buried in a narrow wall boarder buried by pyracantha when we moved in) , no idea what it is or what to do with it long term. I wasn't sure if it was going to survive transplanting to the pot but seems fine. I don't know know what to do for the best, how to prune etc.

Name:	DSC_1994-960x540.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	2384008

Name:	DSC_1995-960x540.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	2384009

Comment

• I have had a few roses over the yrs, lost a few. One still going is laura ford even in the force of winds, pauls scarlet has never flowered that well but still tries, handel i get couple flowers. Best ones are in pots.,ground is wet clay, drained into from fields and forest. Not sure how i can get more from them.
                                OH bought me 2new roses when i was ill again earlier in yr. Iceberg and ginger syllabub.
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X