Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd just leave them somewhere shady but with a little day light from the sides, and after a bit cut a few slits in the plastic so they don't get to the point where they go mouldy.

Taking cuttings is really a race between the plants forming new roots and the tops dying. As long as you can keep the tops green and growing, your plants will win the race. I wouldn't advise looking or doing much else except the odd bit of watering until the leaves fall off in the Autumn naturally - then you could check for root growth.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      No reason why pots won't work - I use the ground because I've got a number of buildings which provide North facing walls, so the soil there is more or less permanently damp - so its easy for me just to stick a few cuttings in, leave them for a year and then those that do root are a nice surprise :-)

I think hormone rooting powder is probably one for the experts - I tried it, and for me it seemed to make no noticeable difference. For the extra cost and the fact that I'm not sure its stores well, I'd rather just take a few more cuttings and accept a lower % are going to root OK - if you are running a commercial operation, then the cost/benefit will look entirely different.
      I took rose cuttings last September as I was moving house and wanted my favourites to come with me - Gertrude Jekyll, Gentle Hermione, Altissimo. I don't know that it was the right time of year, but I had nothing to lose. I used hormone rooting powder, 12 inch long shoots in pots. They looked OK for a long time, but one by one they have died off this spring. Maybe the awful winter we just had was too much for them.

I have suggested to my husband that we need to take a trip down to Austen plants near Wolverhampton to replace them. That's where we bought them originally, and it is a fabulous place to visit if you love roses. You can see them blooming in their lovely gardens and choose the ones you like best. (Bit of a long trip from Edinburgh I know.) His reply - he's seen them for sale in Dobbies, we can just go there. No romance in his soul....

Anyway I was pruning my sister's roses for her in March, and took some clippings of Arthur Bell, a rose I have always wanted for its fantastic perfume and general floriferousness. Same treatment as the previous attempt, but they have leaves on and my fingers are crossed.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Hard luck on last year's cuttings - perhaps they got frosted ?

If your sister's rose has any bendy stems, may be you could take a layer form it.

Comment

I think it’s more difficult with taking cuttings and placing in pots especially roses. They are generally in the ground a long time before anything happens up top, , pots can dry out and you’ve damaged the tiny roots starting to sprout and you’ve lost them.thecutting usually need to be in deep to take - some pots just aren’t deep enough.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            Hard luck on last year's cuttings - perhaps they got frosted ?

If your sister's rose has any bendy stems, may be you could take a layer form it.
            That's an interesting suggestion. She has lots of nice roses, next time I'm round I'll have a scout round.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Does this plant exist?

Hello peeps,

I am VERY new to flower gardening but find myself getting more drawn to this part of our healthy obsession I recently visited RHS Rosemoor in Devon with my wife and was completely blown away by the display of over 200 Rose varieties! Just stunning and a memory that will stay with me for a very long time. The crowds meant that we were unable to speak for any length of time with one of the rose experts there and this is where I am hoping to draw on the experiences of the vine. I have tried google and have been a bit overwhelmed to be honest - too much information for a flower newbie like me... Plus I always prefer to get real life experiences from people who are passionate about things!

So, to my question!

I am looking for a fragrant rose that will climb over a wooden pergola that I have just put up. I would prefer smaller flowers, white petals and a long show of blooms. Also disease resistance and ease of care would be a bonus Does a plant like this exist? Any comments, views or pictures would be highly appreciated. Thank You Alan.
              New to all this - here to learn

Comment

I'm just on the way home from a holiday, and on the campsite was a rose so beautiful I had to find out its name. It was called Lady of the Lake.

It was very fragrant with very pale pink to creamy white flowers. The label said it was a rambler and repeat flowering. I especially liked that the flowers were semi-double rather than fully-double, so better for bees.

I know nothing about roses, so I don't know about disease resistance, I'm afraid.

Maybe that ticks enough of your boxes to be worth a look? It's gone on my list of plants to grow if I ever have a garden

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                  Well, I put them in, and they are still in bags. The leaves look green inside the bags. What's the best way of seeing how they are doing? I don't want to disturb any roots that might be forming, do I just wait and see if the leaves look not-dead in a month or so? (they seem to be drinking water). I hope they take, it's a lovely perfumed rose by our front door, and it's marvellous to smell it as I get home from work.

Miss Scarlet - your roses look lovely
                  Well, I put 6 in bags, and watered them and tried to keep an eye on them.

I've lost 5, but one seems to have made it. It's got green leaves, and feels rooted. Also one of the other two in that pot had failed, but had started to root. I left it out in the sunshine yesterday to give it a bit of a gee-up, and we'll see how it goes.

It took about two years for my bay cutting to actually start re-growing again, so I need to remember it's a long game, but I'm still happy as it's not been a hugely successful year, so it's nice to have a positive

Comment

Iceberg climbing,not

Planted pot Iceberg climber last winter, it's 2' tall. And flowering. Label mix up in gc ? Probably. Have planted bare root same time and they 10' but no flowers which is expected. I know some plants are reluctant to get going but a year? Anyone else have this problem? Still have receipt so just might be cheeky and ask for refund/swop

Would post a pic but find the process impossible

Comment

Originally posted by lookbettertomorow View Post
                      Would post a pic but find the process impossible
                      Really? What’s is the problem?
                      Your photo maybe too big? Reduce the file image or crop smaller and try again.

Comment

Have you still got the label? It could well be the shrub variety? The summer was very dry for new shrubs to get their feet in the ground so putting on little top growth would be normal especially if it hasnt been well watered throughout the Summer.
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 18-11-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Just to add, I planted a rambler in June - it should grow to 20ft. That has put in little growth and is no more than 3ft.

Comment

Hi thanks, pic is 5.2 mb, loaded up to instagram and Twitter ok.
                            Label says climber. Planted one yard from my water tub,not that that means anything but I usually kill plants by over watering,anyway my other nearby bare rooted ones are fine

Comment

Max pic size is 2mb on here I’m afraid. Resize or crop your image, it’ll still be decent enough res.
                              We love to see pics here, so please try again!
                              He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by lookbettertomorow View Post
                                Hi thanks, pic is 5.2 mb, loaded up to instagram and Twitter ok.
                                Label says climber. Planted one yard from my water tub,not that that means anything but I usually kill plants by over watering,anyway my other nearby bare rooted ones are fine
                                I would be very surprised that a first year climber would get to 10ft. I have several climbers - none have ever grown that fast. If you didn't water regularly in the Summer heat growth would have been seriously stunted.
                                Last edited by Scarlet; 18-11-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X