This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    When taking your cutting material do you worry about leaving any green showing through on the plant or not?
    No, I don't worry. Although usually there are more shoots than I can use including lots that aren't big enough yet.

Like Snadger I take the cutting as low down as possible, ideally there will be a white bit at the bottom of the cutting because then they root quicker.

If you take off all the shoots, the stools left behind will usually push out some more although it will take a couple of weeks. But mine will go on the compost heap once I've got enough cuttings rooted.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      Just up the road from me, but appear to be very expensive.
      They aren't taking orders yet for next year - but their mini plants (daliahs) were around £3.00 each which I think is good value. Strong rooted chrysanths were £2.70 this year as well. I bought several and the earlies are just starting to flower and I have masses of daliahs from the few plants I have purchased there. How much do you want to pay for good plants?

Comment

• Looking at the Halls web site it says plants will be delivered in Feb, but it says not to put them out, even in a heated greenhouse. I don't heat mine so what do I do and can I over winter plants/ cuttings that are established in an un heated glass house?

Comment

• I'm fond of chrysanths as well. Especially now I know how good they are for improving our air quality. I've got the green chrysanth "Froggy" a green one and also "Amico Violet" which is a hardy one. Froggy is tender but I do love it so worth the extra care.
          I garden on Thames clay and there are tonnes of slugs and snails here who will happily munch my chrysanths to a stump.

Comment

• Any one growing any Chrysanths this year?

I recently put some plants in a prop to take some cuttings, already have some good growth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2381948

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	2381949
            Last edited by Scarlet; 06-01-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Any one growing any Chrysanths this year?
              I will be growing some again this year. I've been a bit lazy so far, I need to get round to giving the old plants a bit of warmth. Maybe tomorrow!

Yours are coming along well, maybe a bit more light or less heat to stop them getting too stretched?

Comment

• They started sprouting in the GH and I haven't got a lid them during the day. Maybe getting a bit warm? Perhaps turn it off during the day?
                Last edited by Scarlet; 12-01-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  They started sprouting in the GH and I haven't got a lid them during the day. Maybe getting a bit warm? Perhaps turn it off during the day?
                  They might be happiest with the lid off all the time, letting maximum light in. The warmth at the roots will keep the frost off (unless the beast from the east kicks in really hard). But don't stress too much, Chrysanths are tough and will cope. If the cuttings are a bit leggy they will soon thicken up once the light is stronger.

When I set my plants up this week they will have some bottom heat but no lid. I'll use a lid over the cuttings when I take them in a month or so, though, to keep the humidity up while they root.

Comment

• Thanks Martin. Lid off day and night then it is.

Comment

• Just incase it is any use to any one jp parkers have half price collections at the moment

https://www.jparkers.co.uk/catalogse...mum+collection

Comment

• OK I've done mine now. I found some vine weevil grubs in a couple of the pots, I'll have to use all new compost this year and stay vigilant! But I cleaned them carefully and they are now sat on the propagator, one plant each of 10 varieties:

Name:	IMG_20190113_144410 stools.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2382013

I still have one plant in flower! Never had that this late before.

Name:	IMG_20190113_124046 lastXanth.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	2382014

Comment

• Doesn't time fly!

This week I got my chrysanths boxed up and onto the propagator again. I still have ten varieties, fingers crossed I get some decent cuttings. Only one pot had vine weevil in this time, so that's progress! I gave the roots a good wash in a bucket of lukewarm water so I'm pretty sure I've got rid of any lurking nasties.

Comment

• I've only got 3 varieties left! I will have another go at taking cuttings.
                            So - lid off?? Prop on and hope the things sprout.
                            Hoping I can get this lovely green spider one to sprout cos it's a stunner in a vase. My favourite last year.

Name:	24BE00F5-6427-42A9-B755-5C1ACF4EF5FE.jpeg
Size:	569.2 KB
ID:	2386105

Comment

• Good luck, Scarlet! I always leave the lid off the propagator when getting the stools going for cuttings. Nice warm roots, heads in the fresh air seems to do the job.

Obviously cuttings need a lid until they get roots, but I'm a month away from doing that.

Comment

• hands up twas I .. Im not as regular on here as I once was ... sadly work got in the way
                                ntg
                                Never be afraid to try something new.
                                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X