Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's difficult to say as they all grow at different rates. I pinch off the weedy shoots. I also pinch out the growing tips to encourage more flowers. The 90-100cm dahlias can grow that wide. They are large plants.

Comment

Had a look at the Peter Nyssen website after reading this thread. Bad move! All those lovely dahlias.

I already have Happy Single Flame (very long flowering), Bishop of Llandaff, Mystery Day, a beautiful peachy yellow one from Aldi, a fuchsia cactus and a Cafe au Lait I got at Harrogate last year which had a tuber that weighed in at 1.5 lbs. Bought it as a curiosity really.

These have now been supplemented by Creme de Cassis, Esli, Gallery Art Deco, Totally Tangerine, Little Robert and Night Butterfly.

I got together with three pals to share the postage. We're all hoping to put some blooms into our local flower show this year.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I've just been looking through last year's dahlia thread. Beautiful photos to remind me of summer on a damp and windy January morning.

It's also interesting to see 'real' photos of some of the dahlias on the Peter Knyssen website.

Comment

I bought a lot of dahlia tubers in the last week.
          Started them all off in pots this afternoon.
          They are in my conservatory.

Seattle..yellow with white tips.
          Miss Brandy..Tangerine.
          Duet..wine with ehitetipd.
          Vuurvogel orange and yellow.
          Star Mix.
          Ball Mix.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'd love to start mine bramble, but it's +2.4 in my greenhouse right now, and likely to be chilly for months yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
              I'd love to start mine bramble, but it's +2.4 in my greenhouse right now, and likely to be chilly for months yet.
              I start mine in the house?

Comment

Blimey they'd take over the dining room if I did that - 'cos it already has 2 x 4 tier shelf-units in front of the window from now til the end of April, cos I've no windowsills here

Comment

I have lots of bishops children that I never dig up and they survive in the midlands, although in fairly dry soil.

The ones that get TLC are

Labyrinth - Take cuttings every year as well just in case
                  Totally Tangerine- Take cuttings every year as well just in case
                  A random orange pompom from my allotment neighbour taken from cutting.

New this year

Gerrie Hoek
                  Karma Serena
                  Great Silence
                  Preference
                  Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                  Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                  Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                  Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                    Blimey they'd take over the dining room if I did that - 'cos it already has 2 x 4 tier shelf-units in front of the window from now til the end of April, cos I've no windowsills here D
                    I live in a very old long house ( so windows on two sides in each room) with those double cottage style windows - each window sill fits a growbag size tray and I have a 4 tier shelf unit that goes in my dining room bay window- my kitchen worktop currently has a 125L compost bag and my living room has 2 large propagators. If my OH complains he doesn't get any dinner
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 04-02-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
                      I have lots of bishops children that I never dig up and they survive in the midlands, although in fairly dry soil.
                      It's not the cold or frost that kill mine - it is the soil. I'm on heavy clay, and the land around drains onto my garden so in the winter it can get waterlogged.
                      I dug up tubers in November that were already turned to mush

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        I live in a very old long house ( so windows on two sides in each room) with those double cottage style windows - each window sill fits a growbag size tray and I have a 4 tier shelf unit that goes in my dining room bay window- my kitchen worktop currently has a 125L compost bag and my living room has 2 large propagators. If my OH complains he doesn't get any dinner
                        Hahahha he knows his place I have windowsill envy now

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                          My potted up dahlias are in a blow away in the conservatory.
                          On the window ledges in the day time and back under cover at night.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Bought two more dahlias today.
                            Sparkling Temptation.
                            Berliner Kleene.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

My dahlias arrived yesterday! Now, do I pot them up and leave indoors or wait a month.....

Comment

Information please Scarlet, can you still get the Edinburgh dahlia, as I haven't seen it for a while, that's one my OH has always liked, but even if I was growing it for her I wouldn't be allowed to start it off in the house, if I tried that I would get my head in my hands to play with, or as we say here ma heid inma hons ta play wi
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X