Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice list Scarlet. I've just been browsing Peter N site as I've been after Waltzing Matilda for a while and it's now out of stock you lucky so and so I did order it last year and they sent Totally Tangerine as a replacement which it turns out I liked anyway but still lust after Matilda
    Let me know if it turns out as good as the sales pics look, and if you fancy taking any cuttings you know where I live

Comment

I am hoping to take cuttings. If I have any luck I'll send one or two

Comment

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would like to participate. Here is my list:

Clair Obscure, Eveline, Hawaii, Kasagi, My Love, Painted Madam.

Plus a few bags of tubers which have lost their name in the mists of time.

Nick

Comment

I've never heard of any of those...I'm off to look at what I'm missing!!

Welcome aboard-
          When do you start planting up and do you do any dahlia cuttings?? I am on a mission Mcdood is expecting a cutting in the post. No pressure
          Last edited by Scarlet; 17-01-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

There really is no pressure Scarlet, I only mentioned it in jest. But I really love Waltzing Matilda, just saying
            Last edited by mcdood; 18-01-2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

There are so many daliahs that I would be surprised if anyone else had any that I have. Halls of Heddon for example list 13 different types and have 54 in the Giant and large class alone.

I've got about 30 different but only know the names of 3: Pooh, Sunny boy and Carols Spanish Dancer. They are in a ruck in a shed where I keep my onions, potatoes, garlic and lawn mower. I don't know which are which until they flower.

Comment

and the nationaldaliahcollection website has "The majority of our 1600 + varieties are grown in the Dahlia Garden...."

Comment

I am going to be growing my pom poms what i grew from seed last year, i lifted the root up last year when i gave my plot up.
                  Carrie

Comment

New

So I’m New to this Dahlia growing. They are the best cut flower that I have on my allotment so I wish to dedicate more space to them I think I’ve been quite reserved. Although there is still time😂I’ve just ordered
                    Cafe au Lait,
                    Dark Monarch
                    Black Jack
                    along with 3 pack Pom poms and one called Bonesta from Wilko.
                    I have lifted a huge tuber of Jamaica because it too big for the garden and have one unknow cactus variety in the ground.
                    Where Is a good place to get them from, for next year 😉

Comment

I have several cafe au lait and black Jack. You could split your large tuber into a few plants?
                      I order my tubers from Peter Nyssen bulbs. Most tubers are £2...you can order now for a feb delivery but some of the varieties have already sold out.

Comment

I've duplicated this post as already in Sales and good offers thread but thought it might be useful to followers of this thread too.

4 dahlia tubers for £5.80 all in , T&M code TM_GWE17

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/da...on/kb3702ffpTM

The blurb:

Free dahlia collection*
                        Claim four stunning dahlias, worth over £19, *when you pay just £5.80 postage. The Rouge Collection includes one each of varieties 'Nuit d'Ete', 'Mambo', 'Maggiore Fire' and 'Pulp Fiction'.

Plus, pay no additional postage and save on a selection of other plants when purchased with this offer. Your dahlias will be despatched this month.

Please note, this offer expires at the end of the month.

Comment

As an insurance policy - I've just ordered 3 more from Peter Nyssen - Big Brother, Jowey Linda and Penhill Watermelon, so even if the ones still in the ground at the allotment don't make it through, I will still have some this year That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! lol

Comment

I didn't get round to digging up my Bishops Children (which were a gift from Scarlet.) I expect that they will have died over winter. In the unlikely event that they did survive, when could I expect to see the start of new growth? March?

I know it's one that is normally grown from seed each year but I probably won't get round to it.
                            Last edited by Mitzi; 23-01-2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                              I didn't get round to digging up my Bishops Children (which were a gift from Scarlet.) I expect that they will have died over winter. In the unlikely event that they did survive, when could I expect to see the start of new growth? March?

I know it's one that is normally grown from seed each year but I probably won't get round to it.
                              You may be able to dig them up now? And keep in the garage.
                              I dug a couple of the same bishops children just last week to take cuttings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33CA74F0-A6AD-4352-B7C3-9018E73D6FEC.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	833.4 KB
ID:	2386100

If you don't dig them up, sometimes they don't start sprouting till May/early June and you need to be vigilant for slugs/snails.

Comment

I bought my first ever dahlias from B&Q the other day, after my failed attempt to get some seed potatoes. I got Duet and Vuurvogel. Looks like it'll be a while before I can plant them out, but they look pretty.

How many stems/flowers do individual tubers give off?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X