Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are about 3 inches tall now.
    They are in an unheated conservatory.
    I cover them over with fleece and newspaper at night.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Just sown the first of mine. I'll keep them indoors on a window ledge until they've germinated then they will go in my cold frame.
      I sow 6/7 to a pot noodle pot
      I intend to stagger my sowings up until march and hopefully have flowers over a longer period

Comment

Originally posted by Vickilou View Post
        Just sown the first of mine. I'll keep them indoors on a window ledge until they've germinated then they will go in my cold frame.
        I sow 6/7 to a pot noodle pot
        I intend to stagger my sowings up until march and hopefully have flowers over a longer period
        With sweet-peas they will more or less flower indefinitely as long as you don't let them go to seed. I'm by no means an expert, but I've found I've had the best results when I got the plants in the ground really early, so they had time to grow their roots a long way down before the warm weather begins - I'm hoping to plant mine out late February early March this year.

Comment

I sow mine in loo roll innards
          The sweet peas like a long foot run so these suit them well.
          Also, the whole lot can be planted in the ground and the cardboard will break down.
          It also saves on disturbing the roots.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
            Well, I just sowed mine yesterday and they are indoors. Never really grown them before properly. I’m thinking I should put them in my greenhouse (unheated). Minus 2 lowest temp in there for the last few weeks.

Decisions Decisions!! Should I put them out or keep indoors in my kitchen?

Kind Regards.............Rob
            Well, mine have just germinated but I’m going to keep them indoors for now and then move them to the unheated greenhouse maybe in a few weeks.

Comment

I chitted mine first rhe planted them in loo rolls and placed them in the greenhouse, their looking good.
              ^^^^^
              I kept one pot indoors, they are now almost a foot tall and will be culled soon as i can remember lol, far to leggy.

all the above were planted about 3/4 weeks ago.

Point of the post though was ^^^^^ , theyll probably be better off in the greenhouse, their a hardy beast.
              Last edited by jackarmy; 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Mine have been stood outside through all the snow and frost. They are nice sturdy plants and I will plant them in the ground as soon as the soil is a bit warmer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190206_151228 Sweetpeas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2382234
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

They do grow tall indoors,longer lengths of stem between leaves,I had to put a stick in to support the two plants,when they were too tall for the sticks I took them out & the plants trailed over the pot edge,looked quite nice on the garden table,they could grow like that in a hanging basket maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                    I'm hoping to plant mine out late February early March this year.
                    Great, just what I was hoping to hear. My October cold greenhouse sowing (in root-trainers) are looking sturdy and well developed with 2-3 stems and about 5" tall. As we are away from end of February for 4 weeks, I was wondering whether to risk planting them out or not...but I definitely shall - and if it doesn't work, well then I have my February sowing to fall back on (hopefully!)

Comment

Felt like Spring has come to my garden today, so I decided to start on the planting out of my sweetpeas. I got about 10 plants dibbled in before getting distracted by other jobs - only another 100 odd to go :-) I'm hoping to clear the troughs the sweetpeas are in now so I can use them for starting off the dahlia tubers which I saved from the plants I grew from seeds last year.

Comment

Well Nickdub - you have inspired me.
                        Will get my canes up tomorrow and plant mine out too.
                        I’ve got about 20 pots with 3 good plants in each - and like SkyeSonia I’ve got later sowings to fall back on if it all goes wrong.
                        Do you think I could plant out my autumn sown cornflowers too?

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                          Well Nickdub - you have inspired me.
                          Will get my canes up tomorrow and plant mine out too.
                          I’ve got about 20 pots with 3 good plants in each - and like SkyeSonia I’ve got later sowings to fall back on if it all goes wrong.
                          Do you think I could plant out my autumn sown cornflowers too?
                          Hope all goes well - I have to put something over mine (usually thorny twigs) to protect them from the deer - but I reckon the main thing is to encourage the plants to make extensive root systems before the weather turns dry .

Your cornflowers should be fine to plant out now.

Comment

Just put mine in a long window box type pot. They were indoors and I’ve now potted on and put into the greenhouse so fingers crossed they won’t die.

Put a load of pea sticks in too. They were about 8 inch tall and fell over before I potted on.

Comment

Just finished planting out my sweet peas in the garden. Felt sorry for them as its under 10 today here with a nasty wind - still they're pretty tough and the ground has warmed up a bit with the sunny spell we had.

Comment

Very excited to see the first signs of sweet pea shoots coming through. I planted them in my unheated greenhouse some weeks ago. Am a complete novice at non-edibles so will probably need some advice once they grow a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X