Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Peas

According to a scrap of paper torn from a Kings seed catalogue:-

"Seed sowing can begin in October, through to late February but I (Kings) find the optimum time is Early November.

Sow 5 seeds into a 7.5cm/3" deep pot, using a good growing medium.

Keep in a cold frame, do not let the soil dry out but do not over water.

In (Kings) experience, chipping and soaking the seeds is not necessary.

When the plants have grown 3 pairs of true leaves, pinch out the tops to encourage side shoots for the promotion of greater flower production.

Harden off, prior to planting out in early April (weather permitting) and feed with foliage or soil dressing at fortnightly intervals.

Direct sowings in October or March an also be made in the flowering site. "

Any one sowing their sweet peas now? I'm going to sow some tomorrow. I'd like rows of them to pick next year.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Any one sowing their sweet peas now? I'm going to sow some tomorrow. I'd like rows of them to pick next year.
    I sowed mine in the middle of last month, in rootrainers. No chipping, no soaking, I just moistened the multipurpose compost before filling the pots then dropped the seeds in just below the surface. The compost is right when it sticks together when squeezed in your hand, but no water drips out. They germinate in a week or so in the cold greenhouse.

I treat them tougher than Kings suggests. Now that the seedings are a couple of inches tall I have put the tray of pots outside on my garden table. They will stay there in all but the very worst freezing weather until spring. I don't want them to grow much top growth until spring and I won't pinch the tops out until spring either. They will make masses of root and be planted out as soon as I can get the soil is ready in March, no further hardening off needed.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Chris, my OH is the sweet pea person here but she is reading an essay currently on behalf of daughter no. 2 so unlikely to be sowing in the near future. We plant them in rows with a 6'+ stake at either end supporting netting and 8' canes then along the row. They usually get got by mildew from mid summer onwards - which I put down to the lack of weeding which harbours damp.
      We've occasionally sown some in Autumn but didn't think they flowered much earlier than those sown in early Spring so not really worth the effort of looking after them over winter.
      We go to the The Eckford Sweet Pea Society show in Wem quite regularly but the entries and the membership has declined the last couple of years.

Comment

I don't sow mine until the new year, and then have to remember to cover them, or else the mices tuck in

Comment

We ARE to start them off this autumn. Not got round to it yet. Looks like spring the way things are going.

Comment

Oh this is interesting, I’ve bought some to try to grow this year (I’ve not grown them before) I might experiment start some now and some in January see how they compare!

Comment

I tried autumn sowing in rootrainers years ago, but found many of the plants didn't make it through the winter. May well be worth it in more southerly climes though. Perhaps plant some now, hopefully for early flowering, then some in spring to flower later and take you through till autumn.
              Last edited by Babru; 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I've succumbed to "sowing envy" :-(

Had a load of seeds I saved from plants grown this year from a 50p pack of Wilkinson seed , so I've put them all to chit in the airing-cupboard. Last of the big spenders - the economy would collapse if everyone was like me :-)

Comment

When I cleared the sweetpea wigwam yesterday some of the fallen seed has already started to grow. Wonder if they'll make it through the winter? If they do I s'pose I'll be putting the wigwam up in the same place again

Comment

Checked the seed I put to chit the other day this morning and about half had germinated. Anyway I'd cleared a couple of troughs of dahlia tubers the other day to put in store - so I used those to get the seed sown - if they all come up I'll have 50 or 60 plants to over winter. :-)

(a lot of mice around at the moment, so I left the troughs up on top of a wheelbarrow for now.)

Comment

I will sow mine before the end of November.
                      I save the loo rolls and sow one seed into each.
                      No soaking overnight, just moist compost.
                      I usually plant them out in March.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've never grown sweet peas before, but I quite fancy having them at the beginning of the plot to kind of lure visitors into a false sense of more prettiness to come haha

I shall go sow some before it goes dark!
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love the smell of Sweet peas, I usually sow win end of Feb beginning of March. but after reading this thread I'll sow a few tomorrow and see if there's much difference with an earlier sowing time.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I sowed some yesterday - a week later than I said I would.

Comment

Always wait until February too but maybe I'll try an earlier sowing..maybe
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X