Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A novice question here but if i sorted out a hen house , I was a joiner in my early years and built a run on to it would i be able to get away with putting sand or wood shavings down in the run to stop the birds getting sore feet ?

Comment

• Not a question for me to answer -sorry -my only experience is free ranging in a field surrounded by an electric mesh fence.
      My friend buys bark chippings for her run and puts it on her borders afterwards but I'm pretty sure that's on top of soil.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• If you are building your own henhouse, might I suggest you have it raised up on legs so the chooks can easily get underneath for shelter? It also means there isn't somewhere rats can hide out. Plus the bonus of being easier to reach into to clean out and collect eggs?

Just throwing a few thoughts your way again
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I would avoid a concrete hen run too.
          It is such a shame not to let them have access to soil as they dearly love to rake around in soil and even better you can dig a small area over every so often as a treat for them.
          I have just done an assessment on restoring the small run on my plot. The previous plot holder left it in a right state...
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Our three hens have started ruling the roost. When they arrived, one of them was younger than the other two and a bit of a coward. Now she takes on the dogs and even humans if she thinks they're out of line. Yesterday I saw her catch a tiny mouse and a huge locust, so I'm expecting a big egg off her today. She also tried a toadlet but decided it wasn't edible. Just as well she's a hen and not a cockerel. Nothing would be safe around her.

Comment

• As this thread is now quite large, I will be closing this down - please join us instead in the new one at: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...y-chook-chat-2
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X