Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They need "educating" Fez currently I have a brick on the footplate & scatter wheat grains in it first thing in the morning,that soon get their heads in the trough
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Not very chatty in here, are we!?

A while ago, a friend of mine said she was worried about her Hens, as they had stopped laying. We chatted, and I established that they'd finished their moult, and she said they all looked happy and healthy. They're just about two years old, and as mine of all ages are laying their little socks off, I asked her all the usual questions about where and how they lived.

Then I asked what they were being fed. Turns out they were getting corn for brekkie 'coz they prefer it to pellets!' Then they free-ranged in the garden all day, eating what they wanted (her flowers, mainly, and those of her neighbour, much to his annoyance), so they often wouldn't eat the pellets she had provided. She didn't mind, as this saved her money... I explained the reason for the 'ad-lib' pellets and a 'little' bit of corn before bed diet that is tried and tested, and she said she would adopt it, now it had been explained to her. Fingers crossed for eggs. This was about a month or so ago.

Anyway, today she tells me she has found out the problem, despite insisting I was definitely wrong before. Yesterday, one laid an egg on the patio, just outside the window where she was standing watching. The other two promptly rushed over, and almost before it hit the ground, they'd opened the egg and eaten it - shell and all!

They obviously needed the protein, so started eating their eggs. She was most upset when I told her she almost certainly won't be able to stop them doing it.

All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Where's VC and her new chooks? Came here especially after seeing her news in 'What i did today' ..............but no sign of her!

Norty VC!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Sorry Snadge - didn't want to bore you

Here they are
          Attached Files

Comment

• G4, I've lost count of similar stories and it really makes me feel sad. Last week while out with friends someone I got chatting too asked me if my chickens had started laying yet because hers hadn't - turns out she cooks for hers, same meals as she has!

Comment

• VC, they will really be able to help with the gardening/weeding what a lovely Easter present.

Comment

• Have you hugged your Chicken today? (Original) - YouTube

Here ya go VC!

Never tried posting a link before, So if this goes t**'s up! It's been a long day n in need of a hot bath!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• My new 4 POL were/are a disaster. Looked ok on arrival, after a few days one was sneezing and another couldn't close her beak. She had a growth under her tongue. Took her back to the breeder who gave me another in exchange when she did not recover in a week or so and apparently she survived. The chook with the sneeze gave it to 2 others and one got the bubbly eyes so I thought she had mycoplasma. The breeder said they were all inoculated so it couldn't be that and gave me antibiotics - Denagard. I felt bad using it without seeing a vet, but took it as it was a Bank Holiday weekend.
                  Two of the three survived with antibiotics and one started laying again and then one day after 2 eggs laid it was obvious she wouldn't live. She just wanted to sit quietly and died later that day.
                  I took the other 2 to the vet as the bubbly eye was getting worse and the sneezing and head shaking continued.
                  The good news is that replacement hen has remained well and the 2 recovered on Tylan from the vet. The bad news is that none are laying as far as I am aware. Two are bowing for me, and I can't find any secret nests in the garden, so I hope we will get eggs soon.
                  After having had a closed flock to date, this experience has been a real shock.

Comment

• Oh dear- that's not good at all

I'm really wary about getting new hens in for that very reason..I prefer to hatch eggs....but of course you either need a broody or lamp for that.

I imagine you'll not be using that breeder again

Good luck with your gals and eggs...let's hope all will be fine from now on
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• For those who may remember Victoria Plum, sad news. She had lived down the road from last January. then in our garden then in the gardens of 4 neighbours behind. One of the neighbours officially asked me if they could "adopt" her as he enjoyed her "helping" him in the vegie patch. She was sleeping in a conifer. Last week I was told by the adopters that her feathers were found in their fruit cage. They miss her as much as I did. She was a real character, a feisty opinionated hen. RIP.

Comment

• Nice she had a chance to experience total freedom though ...very few chooks have that chance...the outcome was inevitable though I suppose x
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Sorry to hear about Victoria Plum, very sad. . But she had a fantastic life didn't she!?

I went to shut mine in last night, and one of the Batties was still dust-bathing in the bonfire pile, which is still smouldering, by the way! But, you know Chooks. Anyway, I walked right up to her, and she chatted to me, like she always did, but made no attempt to get up. I then realised she couldn't. One leg was out straight, and one wing, and she couldn't do anything about it. I'm guessing she'd had a stroke.

Anyway, hubby was called, and he did the deed. . He is a saint...
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• I've lost one chook last w/e, and a couple of others are a bit raspy with the breathing. Tried antibiotics, but they won't touch the stuff! Apparently it's poison to them :/

Really wish they'd pull up and be heatlhy again.

Sorry to hear about Victoria Plum, but she did have an exciting life.
                            Last edited by Feral007; 01-06-2014, 05:53 AM.
                            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                              Sorry to hear about Victoria Plum, very sad. . But she had a fantastic life didn't she!?

I went to shut mine in last night, and one of the Batties was still dust-bathing in the bonfire pile, which is still smouldering, by the way! But, you know Chooks. Anyway, I walked right up to her, and she chatted to me, like she always did, but made no attempt to get up. I then realised she couldn't. One leg was out straight, and one wing, and she couldn't do anything about it. I'm guessing she'd had a stroke.

Anyway, hubby was called, and he did the deed. . He is a saint...
                              Poor thing, you husband did the right thing, but it isn't easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                                I've lost one chook last w/e, and a couple of others are a bit raspy with the breathing. Tried antibiotics, but they won't touch the stuff! Apparently it's poison to them :/

Really wish they'd pull up and be heatlhy again.

Sorry to hear about Victoria Plum, but she did have an exciting life.
                                Yes VP enjoyed life and didn't seem to mind being a lone hen. When she was here she hung around with the other hens during the day, just didn't follow them to bed.

Sorry you lost a hen and hope the others get better. Mine objected strongly to Denegard but recovered well on Tylan.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X