This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eek, I never thought of that Petal!
    Still they're all behind a locked gate so he'd have to do a bit o' climbing (in both directions!).

On a sadder note, one of my first Barbu d'uccles is on the way out. She's huffed up as a big ball of feathers and not eating at all. She's had Baytril and is on Marbocyl, but I think its curtains for her. Its such a shame, I've only had her 2 years in Feb and the vet didn't seem to know what was up with her. He was a lovely vet too, very calm and gentle and took over 15 mins with her...poor old Edie :-(
    Last edited by jessmorris; 19-12-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Just a quickie to say Happy Christmas everyone, and happy chooking, hatching and showing in 2011. We've treated ourselves to a fine free-range organic goose (yum!).
      Jm

Comment

• so long since ive been on here I'd forgotten my password dopy or what!!
        Anyhow hope you all had a good xmas.
        We decided to move again just to add to the fun
        Now renting a cottage at Langwathby, not far from Penrith. Horses at d-i-y livery at Askham and chooks still at in-laws so doing lots of running round. Also got job 4 days a week..its been chaos.
        Got my first eggs since we moved here on Weds, now on two a day so someone is feeling settled at last. Or finished moulting...its been below -8 daytimes, let alone at night so of course they moulted

Oh by the way..happy new year
        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

• Morning Hilly, and Happy New Year to you too! Life sounds chaotic - what made you decide to move?

(I hate moving!)
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Evening everyone! Hope you all had the very best Christmas & New Year's.

One of our hatchlings laid her first egg today (it never stops being exciting!) I was hoping that Barbara, a farmyard hybrid who looks like a barred Plymouth rock with a Cream Legbar hat, might be a blue egg layer. Her egg didn't turn out to be blue at all...it's a deep speckled olive green!

I couldn't be more surprised and I chuffed to bits!

Jules
            Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

• How gorgeous! My friend has a creamlegbar x barnevelder and that lays olive green eggs.I WANT ONE!!!

Comment

• Oh Jules, what a lovely surprise. A blue or olive layer is top of my wish list this year. Well done Barbara!

Polo

Comment

• Oooh, how lovely. Stupidly I integrated my youngsters with the main flock before they came into lay, so I won't really know when they start. We were going away for Christmad, and it was easier for my Dad to look after fewer groups. (He doesn't take instruction well, and tends to do his own thing! ) I have had a coupe of 'wind eggs' recently, so I guess some of them are coming back into lay after their moult.

Comment

• Mine are soooo happy that the snow has melted. Loads of them were dust-bathing under the conifers yesterday. Some in the sun, the rest in the shade. Daft wotsits!

All four of the boys are crowing well now, and they keep having a shout-off competition with Asbo! Sooo noisy!

Comment

• Question....

When you buy hatching eggs on ebay (or anywhere really) do you have to incubate them straight away?

Forgive my stupidity if this is a silly question.
                      Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                      Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                      FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

• Originally posted by Munch View Post
                        Question....

When you buy hatching eggs on ebay (or anywhere really) do you have to incubate them straight away?

Forgive my stupidity if this is a silly question.
                        I think the general feeling is, that you let them 'rest' for 24 hours after their journey. I wouldn't think fertility would be that good this time of year, and I wouldn't risk it, personally. When I bought mine, last summer, I collected them as I didn't want them posted, and I put them under the broody the day they were laid! I had 10 from 12 eggs, and all have survived - in fact they will be 20 weeks tomorrow!

Comment

• Not going to get any til early spring, just gathering as many fact as poss.
                          Last edited by Munch; 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM.
                          Little ol' me

Comment

• Yeah! Right!

Comment

• Ok we are itching to get started, but we at least have to wait til it warms up a bit, cant have 6 week old chicks going out and catching a cold ! LOL
                              Little ol' me

Comment

• The only cockerel i have seen getting any action is the silkie. I won't start incubating until I see 'activity' in the breeding pens! What a busy day, mucking out mucky duckys, fixing fencing, coop doors, making gate for the new growers pen - so satisfying laying fresh shavings in their new shed! I need to get a life!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X