This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...what detailed posts, very useful!

I brought one of my d'uccles in (who's been poorly on and off for ages) to cull but didn't have the heart as I'm way too soft, so now she's installed in the kitchen for a week to see if she will pick up.
    The really good news this week is that friends who'd like more cream legbars next year say I can hatch their eggs for them and grow them on with my ace silkie x broody. I'll get all the joy of hatching without having to worry about selling the youngsters - or dispatching the roos. They are going to find a good quality rooster for their girls, then we'll be all set for 2011! Yay!

Is anyone going to the National Show at Stoneleigh on Saturday by the way?
    Last edited by jessmorris; 15-11-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Gorgeous day here today. And had my first egg of the new season (a bit early) from one of my Minorcas who has only been off lay (while she moulted and regrew feathers) for 8 weeks bless her. I'm hoping she'll lay through the winter just as she did last year.

Gave my velociraptor IG cock a shock this morning when I went into his pen with a pair of new funky wellies on. I didn't get attacked today!!

Comment

wow, feeling tired today!Busy all yesterday seperating chickens into breeding groups, with the help of child labour! Setting up the electric fencing was so frustrating - you have to be very patient!!! Killed an enormous orpingtonxmaran cockerel this morning, he is hanging in barn until later - lots of meat on him and the feathers came off so easily - very fluffy! kittens are now rolling around in a mountain of feathers in the barn and attacking them!!
        Suppose I should do some housework today.

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
          wow, feeling tired today!Busy all yesterday seperating chickens into breeding groups, with the help of child labour! Setting up the electric fencing was so frustrating - you have to be very patient!!! Killed an enormous orpingtonxmaran cockerel this morning, he is hanging in barn until later - lots of meat on him and the feathers came off so easily - very fluffy! kittens are now rolling around in a mountain of feathers in the barn and attacking them!!
          Suppose I should do some housework today.
          Don't bother with housework ...... chook work is much easier!

What have you decided to breed next year? Do you still have your Transylvanian Naked Neck?

Good to hear the Orp cross came up big. I'm hoping my blue Orp will be fairly heavy as now I know he is a boy he will go in the pot. He already has a big frame but not much meat on him yet. Will be doing four more boys this coming week as they are now ready.

Comment

Yes, we have 2 light sussex cockerels to do next weekend. Still got that hideous naked neck, Ninja. Immy loves him, horrid bird. next spring we will be breeding buff orpingtons, buff sussex(just got our cockerel - Radagast the brown)pekin, silkies, gold brahma, sablepoots, polands, nasty naked neck bantams, derbyshire redcaps and i want to try anconas and silver laced wyandotte. No reply from mulberry stud yet, Richmond hens but she only has large fowl on website, so...she has loads of breeds, must order some eggs................

Comment

Lordy, just reading your post makes me feel tired Petal!

Comment

I have a mad bantam at the moment who is getting out and laying in a large flowerpot (will try and get a pic of her). Think she is about to go broody as she has chosen this site several times this year and then gone broody on it. Rather comical, but ridiculous in this weather!

Comment

Can't believe these girls! Will you let your bantam sit Sally?
                  My Welsummer started laying today! A beautiful(if small) terracotta coloured egg.
                  On the downside my second Cream Legbar has started with the same paralysis that her sister had in August. I've watched her for about a month now since I noticed one wing was drooping slightly. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning but I have that sinking feeling it'll be a one way journey for her.

Comment

First time posting in here so hi everyone.

I am picking up 3 pullets today and have the offer of a buff pekin cockerel as well. I need advice though. Will having a cockerel stop infighting with the new hens? are buff pekin a nice natured boy?
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

No idea about the breed, sorry Shirl! But I can confirm, that keeping a Roo should stop any argy bargy among the Ladies.

...and remember - we neeeeeeeed piccies!
                      Last edited by Glutton4...; 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                        Can't believe these girls! Will you let your bantam sit Sally?
                        My Welsummer started laying today! A beautiful(if small) terracotta coloured egg.
                        On the downside my second Cream Legbar has started with the same paralysis that her sister had in August. I've watched her for about a month now since I noticed one wing was drooping slightly. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning but I have that sinking feeling it'll be a one way journey for her.
                        No won't bother, it;s too cold. Not really planning to start hatching till March. I'm enjoying the rest from chicks TBH.

Sorry to hear about the legbar, read your other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                          No idea about the breed, sorry Shirl! But I can confirm, that keeping a Roo should stop any argy bargy among the Ladies.

...and remember - we neeeeeeeed piccies!
                          Hope it works! He is only a wee lad!
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                            First time posting in here so hi everyone.

I am picking up 3 pullets today and have the offer of a buff pekin cockerel as well. I need advice though. Will having a cockerel stop infighting with the new hens? are buff pekin a nice natured boy?
                            Pekin cockerels are very bossy and he will keep the peace. they are also very clever and like sharing your toast and having cuddles!!!!

Comment

Thanks petal. We ended up with 2 orpingtons (chocolate cross buff or something) and the buff pekin, not sure regarding sex yet as they are young. Pretty though
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Where's ya piccies, Shirl!!!?

Mornin' again Munch!
                                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X