This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yoo hoo
    well finally got up to carlisle and picked up a mobile broadband dongle...wahey. Its going to be much more expensive than the old broadband but ma-in-law cant complain cos its MINE-ALL-MINE!!!!!!
    Chooks are a bit quiet at the mo. Had some gale force wind on Thurs nite and it blew their 6x4 shed clean off its base and took the roofs off the geeses shed and the coop next to the shed. Fortunately they were just being put to bed as the shed went, so got them out of the way smartish, then tried to shift the shed before it got smashed to bits or smashed the coop next to it. Guess whos got a slipped disc now anyway it means that the poor little beggers are playing sardines in two coops at the mo, but will hopefully manage to fix the shed this coming weekend. And we will be re-siting it in a more protected place...
    Snadger the silver sussex has aquired three new girlies from the wigton sale, and is now in arun with his own coop, he's a very happy boy Most of the stock there wasnt very good, but what was good was really good. Wont sell there again though.
    Right, seen as you've all been posting like mad while Ive been away Im off to catch up on my reading..lol
    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Have you caught up yet Hilly?

I've been out with Mr. G. doing the Chooks, and re-arranging the run, so the Geese have a sheltered area for the winter if they want it. When we left, the Chooks were in there digging around, and the Geese were having a wash and brush up.

I did hear the words "OY, watch it you! You won't win coz I've got a nice big oven indoors!" at one point. Turned round to see Asbo in full attack mode, and Mr. G just standing there laughing at him. It's the first time he's actually attacked him, and as Hubby had Rigger Boots on, and isn't in the least bit scared of the big brute, he just stood his ground. Then he turned the hose on him and soaked him. One nil to Mr. G!

Oh, forgot to say, one of my 'Babies' has started crowing - it was this one, clever little Fella!
      Attached Files
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've got a young IG cock who is getting too big for his boots. He has developed a habit of jumping up and grabbing my coat (or hands or anything else he can get hold of) and pecking/pulling hard. My husband keeps threatening him with the oven too but at the moment he's too handsome for that. He's really surplus to requirements as I have another older and much nicer natured IG cock, but I'm still undecided about his future. I'm picking him up and cuddling him most times when he does it, which is supposed to deter them from attacking, but it's not working in this case.

Comment

Funny things aren't they? I suppose it's just their instinct to protect their Hens, but I do take exception to biting the hand that feeds!

I am tempted to put him in the pot, he's a good size, but I was given him on the understanding I wouldn't eat him. He is a handsome boy.
          Attached Files

Comment

Having 7 "spare" cockerels, I've started tonight on the big cull. I decided that the best way (for me) was to do 1 a night (or every other night depending on how I'm feeling). I've never done it before all on my own, and never watched the plucking and gutting bit. Now I'm confident that I can do the gutting bit after having had instructions from a few people, but the plucking of this first one is taking me ages and I've already torn the skin in a couple of places. Anybody got any instructions on the quickest and easiest way to pluck?
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Nope. Never done it. Well, not yet anyway. Just had a quick goggle on your behalf;

How To Pluck A Chicken

The ?Chicken Plucking? Secret of Success | Copyblogger

Answers.com - What is the best way to pluck a chicken

Would be interested to hear how you get on!

Comment

I do it wet, I think Nicos does too. It is the traditional French method I believe, and having previously plucked "dry" I would not go back to that. But everybody is different and I know some people hate wet plucking because the wet feathers stick to your fingers a bit, but I found dry plucking with all those feathers and dander flying about really annoying.

Take the freshly killed bird and dunk him in a bucket of very hot, almost scalding water (basically as hot as your hands can stand as you have to hold him under the water) for half to one minute. Do a test patch pluck and if the feathers come away with ease then he is ready to pluck, if not keep him under a little longer. I like to pluck my birds outside (I hang them from an old apple tree) and then rake up the feathers afterwards. They don't blow about when they are wet either, which is also an advantage with the wet method.

Is there any reason why you are doing them at night Maureen? We do them in the morning when their systems are empty which makes gutting easier too.

Comment

Thanks G4, I'll let you know how I get on

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post

Is there any reason why you are doing them at night Maureen? We do them in the morning when their systems are empty which makes gutting easier too.
                    Thanks for that Richmond, I'll try the "wet way" next time

I'm doing them at night because they're already sleepy and don't mind too much being picked up and I don't have to chase them all round the runs . Also, it's all done out of sight of the others - don't want them getting spooked!

Comment

Could you starve them for that day, Maureen - that may help with the crop not being full/less in their tract.

Edit: as in the one that you're going to cull... not the lot - unless you can't separate?
                      Last edited by chris; 08-11-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I've got a grand total of five cockerels now, all of which I've hatched myself. The youngest two are hybrids of my LS cockerel with an ISA brown hen.
                        The three oldies are all pure breeds, a LS,Silver Sussex and a Faverolle.
                        The two hybrids will have to go soon and even though I've now despatched a total of about five cockerels I'm not really relishing it as I have no need for the meat at the moment.
                        I've never tried wet plucking but I found that they need to be plucked whilst still warm before rigor sets in. Rigor sets in the legs and wings first so pluck those first and the body last.

Nice to hear from you again Maureen, and good luck with your plucking!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That would probably stress them Chris. I can see why Maureen wants to do them at night as they are very easy to handle then. We separate ours the night before into a holding cage in a dark stable where they stay calm and quiet until first thing the next morning when the deed is done. We usually do them in pairs or trios too so there is never one spending the night on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                            Could you starve them for that day, Maureen - that may help with the crop not being full/less in their tract.

Edit: as in the one that you're going to cull... not the lot - unless you can't separate?
                            Not easily done really Chris, 4 of them are Croad Langshans and are HUGE! The only place I could separate them is in the broody/hospital coop and as it's a converted rabbit hutch I doubt they'd even get through the door

Comment

Anyway, I've made a bit of a pigs ear of the plucking managing to tear the skin in quite a few places, but I managed the gutting ok. I'm going to skin it and cut into portions ready for coq-au-vin Yummy!!!

Comment

Unless you actually want the skin on the meat, you could always skin the next one without bothering to pluck.....
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X