Rita1's grapevine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my wonderful grapes

this is my second year growing my grape vine and i thought this year i would allow a couple of grapes to grow.
    these are red seedless grapes and oh boy are they juicy and sweet i am so pleased with them, i must admit i do spend a lot of time in my greenhouse nurturing my plants, and grapes do take up a bit of time, thinning out the grapes as they start to grow.

Attached Files
    Rita

Comment

They look wonderful Rita.

Comment

i know i sound a sad person getting excited over my grape vine but i am so pleased with the way it has grown, not only do we all have lovely grapes to eat, but also my chickens they love grapes so they benefit from them also, and we get to eat their eggs.
        Rita

Comment

They look fantastic Rita. My grapes are little overcrowded tiddlers compared to yours. (Makes note - must thin grapes next year)

Comment

It's successes like yours that make gardening so much fun Rita. Working hard and caring for your plants, and then looking at the results with a sense of satisfaction; I think a lot of people can relate to that

Comment

bleeding vine

hello all

i cut back my vine in the winter time like last year, and today i have noticed that the vine is bleeding, i know the sap is rising but why should it be bleeding.
              Rita

Comment

The cut surface obviously hasn't healed over yet.

Comment

Possibly last year was ok to prune at this time because it was so cold. This year has been warm so plants are starting into growth earlier. If you cut a vine while the sap is rising it will bleed

Comment

i cut it last year when all the leaves had died back, like i did last year.
                    i just don't under stand why it's bleeding this year. i did not bleed when i cut the vine around Christmas but has now started. the small branches off the main rod are not bleeding only the very fat one's.
                    Rita

Comment

My grape sometimes oozes watery fluid (sap) from pruning cuts. Bleeding doesn't seem to have any effect on its growth or fruiting. Always plenty of grapes and always plenty of new shoots. Dry years can mean small grapes and cold years can mean tiny acidic grapes.
                      Cutting back the foliage that shades the fruit can make a big difference to fruit quality.

Comment

my grapes (all the vines are outside) always ooze in the spring - but usually much later than this -(march, april) we cut back in January. Perhaps they are just a little early this year - the weather has been mad ...
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

My vine wept and oozed one year and I sealed the wounds with some pruning wax stuff (a bit like an elastoplast). It did the job and I got a good crop that year.

Comment

Seem to remember that woodash will seal them............or did I dream that?
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

thanks everyone, it has put my mind at ease. i was really starting to worry.
                              Rita

Comment

so pleased with my grapes this year.

this is the 3 year with my grape vine. they are so sweet and juicy, and best of all no pips.
                                Attached Files
                                Rita

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X