Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeded, weeded and weeded. Thinned the carrots, sowed some more and covered the bed with enviromesh. Cleared off the finished peas. Watered the tomatoes. Weeded the path. Phew.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Harvested more blueberries and green tomatoes. Pricked out the early sprouting PBS seedlings. Watered the late sown row of Kelvedon Wonder peas. Might have succumbed to some broad bean seeds (half price in Homebase...)
      come visit a garden
      or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Weeded some more. Sowed more coriander. Sowed beetroot, AYR cauliflower, cabbage and kale. Sowed some aubretia in a tray ooooooooooooh flowers. Erected a frame over the growing caulies to mesh tomorrow. I hadn't seen many cabbage whites until today, so better act quick.

Comment

• Waited until the afternoon to go to the plot yesterday (hoping it would be cooler - ha!). Cleared away bolted cauliflowers ... you go away for 4 days and the b*ggers know you've gone and do it deliberately. Anyway my neighbour's hens were delighted with them. Renetted the next batch of cauli to allow them to spread their leaves a bit - I shall be watching these like a hawk. Planted some more radish and beetroot. Did the inevitable weeding. Pottered about thinking what to do next?

Comment

• Thursday, much cooler, occasional fine misty rain - much better for hard work. Barrowed 8 loads of manure from the tump up the hill down to my plot. Spread over 3 beds, covered with newspapers, put a little soil over the top to stop it blowing away. Cut grass around the edges, picked some beetroot.

Comment

• I sussed the problem with my leaky shed roof: the roof nails have let the rain in. Got up there and staped some compost bags over the lot, should do for a while.

- planted a tayberry
              - pulled up all the dead nigella at home, sprinkling the seed around too
              - planted out a few dozen nicotiana in their place
              - chopped up the hollyhocks, flattened by last night's heavy rain
              - made a vat of JennyBain's courgette chutney, & my own recipe courgette muffins
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 07-08-2011, 04:13 PM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Today I planted my first thing on my new allotment. Managed to clear a square on 2 corners and couldn't resist getting something in so planted a horseradish and dug and weeded and dug and weeded and dug!

Comment

• Hello all!
                  This my first post on here, although I have been reading avidly for growing advice for a couple of months now!

Today I:
                  - hand weeded and hoed around my carrots, spring onions, summer and winter spinach and sweet potatoes.
                  - sowed a second row of giant winter spinach.
                  - sowed a mixed row of radishes - french breakfast and scarlet globe.
                  - pinched the growing tips of my assorted tomato plants.
                  - sprayed my tomatoes and peppers with a home-made whitefly spray.
                  - considered picking some rhubarb as, despite being miserable when I took over the plot in June, the plant is now growing out of control!

Nice to meet you all

Alice
                  You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt

Comment

• Alice,

welcome, you have been a busy beaver. I've been a sloth today. taken first day off from the plot the whole season. Went shopping with better half instead. Brownie points are important tha knows

Comment

• Hello Crescent Moon and Alice and welcome to the Vine!

I've just finished potting on 30 chrysanthemums that will hopefully end up in the buckets that contain the tomato plants (doesn't matter if they're late coming out, I have loads of buckets). I've 10 each of Inward Curled, Decor and Spray. Hope I'm doing the right thing for them, it's my first time and advice is unusually hard to come by

Comment

• Today i weeded what was the Onion & Garlic bed, raked in some old compost and then planted into it six Lettuce & thirty Leek seedlings. I then thinned out the Beetroot from the second veg bed and planted out a few more Dwarf French Bean & Pea seedlings which share this bed with the Beetroot. In the third bed i have Sweetcorn and a Pumpkin so this bed just got a bit of a weeding. After this i pruned the two Apple Trees and one Asian Pear Tree whilst OH hammered in a stake for each of them.

Inside, i updated my blog!!

Later on when it cools a bit i will go back out a do the watering.
                        Last edited by Newbie; 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM.
                        Jane,
                        keen but (slightly less) clueless
                        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Finished constructing my brand-spanking new ComposTumbler while the lovely hubby deconstructed the old and rotting built-from-pallets version. It's been good for 3 years but the combination of my back not being strong enough to turn the compost properly and the rats that refused to leave meant we had to change it for something else. The new one looks fab in its place and unless the rats can climb up and operate a latch, should mean we have robbed them of a place to live.
                          Also added more supports for the mini pumpkin plant to climb up and cleared the last sugar snap plants away.
                          come visit a garden
                          or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Tackled the Brassica bed today, picked an armful of PSB, cut away all the dead & half eaten leaves, weeded, pulled out the three bolted Yellow Chard plants and dead headed the Marigolds at the end of the bed. Yesterday's & Today's work means i now have four tidy and weed free veg beds - hurrah. Afterwards i picked four large courgettes, a cucumber and my first ripe Gardener's Delight Tomato.
                            Jane,
                            keen but (slightly less) clueless
                            http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• All earlies (second) up and in bags which leaves bed free. Green manure sown and watered in.
                              Various veg harvested but most pleased with carrots sown in old compost bin. Shallots all up and drying in garage. More onions up and drying in greenhouse. Fed and watered cukes, toms and peppers. More weeding done.
                              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• Cleared out some troughs (remnants of mixed salad). Still undecided whether to plant some french beans in them, or wait until October and put garlic in them. Picked up my sweet pea container wigwam about 10 times. Bladdy wind. Have had to put some boulders in the middle of the wigwam to try and stabilise it. Fed tomatoes. Trimmed a cherry tree, but need a saw and an able bodied man to get to the top of it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X