Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing a gale (as usual - it felt like November, not May), so I had a shed DiY day:
    - attached hanging basket things on front of shed, filled with fuchsia & violas
    - hoiked up the shed on one side where it's sinking, and put chocks underneath
    - attached a lock inside the door, so I can pee without the door flying open
    - built a workbench
    - did a bit of half-hearted weeding
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Trousers always gets up early, which is brilliant, because I get T in bed!
      Today I:
      * rescued my strawberry runner potted plantlets from a tray with no drainage holes that was slowly drowning them, and ditto with my bored bean plantlets

* planted out some of my rooted shallots from small pots and 6-cell trays, before rain stopped play, so

* potted on Winter Squashes, Sweet Peppers & Chillies & 'Roma' Tomatoes instead

Comment

• Managed to get a bit done this afternoon in between it tipping down. Spent most of the time in the greenhouse and running back up the path to fill the watering can from the water butt which is full to overflowing.
        Planted out a pea salad bar - x3 different varieties. K/Wonder, Hurst Green Shaft, and sugar snap into large pot.
        Potted on x3 Lupins - Pixie Delight, Melons - Emir.
        Removed side shoots from Tomatoes and gave them and strawberry's their weekly feed. Potted on last ones that have been hanging about. Potted on a few chilli's. Planted some lollo rosso around the dwarf tree's I planted up earlier in the week.
        Sown:
        Swede - Magres
        Carrot's - Chantenay Red Cored
        Peas - Onward
        Pak Choi - Joi Choy,Red Choi, Tai Sai, Shanghai - just a few seeds of each variety.
        Mizuna
        Lettuce - Ultimate Mixed & Franchi - Maravilla De Verano Canasta.
        Sprayed Peppers, Chili's and Basil to try and clear aphid invasion.
        Watered everything else in the greenhouse can in to catch the Chelsea Flower Show on the telly.
        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• Yesterday, I went to the plot and weeded and clipped grass - lots of both!! I pulled 34 leeks (only left 10 but they were starting to bolt and I had takers for about 11 apart from ourselves), and a large bunch of radishes. Put up the supports for a row of peas (need to do another next week) and for the beans (2 rows of teepees). Planted out the 7 pots (mostly 1 plant but a couple of 2's) of borlotti beans and 6 of climbing french beans. Saw that the parsnips and beetroot are started, and the spuds all above ground. Need to go back for lots more weeding next weekend or hopefully even take a day off.

Then today, again between showers, I sowed lots at home. 2 pots each of basil (Medditerranean mix), parsley (flat leaved) and coriander. 1 last pumpkin (spooktacular). 1 pot of leeks (castor). 2 trays of 9 modules each - 1 rocket and 1 flat leaved parsley (this one for plot whereas pots for home). 4 pots each of 2 seeds per pot of dwarf french beans - purple teepee, and modus (a green variety). Finally, 4 small modules of orange scented thyme.

ALso moved pots around, and planted out the courgette we bought last weekend (far ahead of our own plants and this one is for garden). I have 4 courgettes growing and 2 that are waiting to show their heads.

Comment

• Finished planting tatties.Sowed mor peas.Digging,digging...I'm knackered tonight...

Comment

• Took a trip to B&Q and got some clips to screw on to the out sides of the raised beds. I'll use them to slot the blue plastic pipe in over which I'm putting netting, to protect salad crops from the birds etc, but mainly from the rat-dog!

Earthed up potatoes, last time I think on the first bag.
              Tidied up garden debris (empty compost bags etc) which had spread themselves everywhere.
              Re-arranged inside of greenhouse. Thought I might have enough room to get a little chair in there, but unfortunately not.
              Washed pots and large tray I use catch compost when potting on etc.
              Watered everything in.. then just stood in amazement for the next half, looking at everything seeming to grow so well.. I'm so sad

Indoors, stepping over coldframe assembled earlier - does not make a good coffee table!
              Listed all seeds / plants on Excel, with relevant sowing dates, potting on, etc.

It's official.. I'm a nerd!
              God made rainy days, so gardeners could get their housework done

Comment

• Just made a bucket of PONG-nettle tea.OH told me to keep it away from him

Comment

• Planted Tayberry in large tub to keep the raspberry company. Planted similar tub with some left over salad tatties that got left in larder, variety Nicola. Put a sheet of white plastic inside the back of the mini green house to reflect light back to tomato, wired in place. Made rainmac from large clear plastic bag that big tub came in, went back out in rain! Earthed up tatties in tubs outside back door, planted onions, french beans, cauli and broccoli. Spoke encouragingly to CCA salads and carrots as they got rained on.
                  Wow, no wonder I need a cuppa!

Comment

• So far today I have potted on some californian wonder peppers in the greenhouse, sown one more marketmore cucumber as mine seems to have keeled over overnight, sown some mizuna (can't get enough of it), spicy salad leaves and oriental mustard leaves. And re-sown some invincible pumpkin as mine have rotted away.

Hope to get back out when the children gp to bed to do some more potting on of chillies and golden berries.

Comment

• Dug over an area about 5 foot by 4 foot. Hammered in four steel pipe posts (I just had lying around!) and surrounded them on three sides with wire mesh approximately 6 foot high.

Sowed my self saved NE Plus Ultra climbing peas around inside and outside of wire mesh.

Planted a pumpkin in the centre to hopefully grow out the open end of the 'U'. Put three sheets of glass around pumpkin plant and one sheet on top to protect it.

Potted on 8 Victoria F1 Celery plants and watered greenhouse plants.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Planted up planter at bottom on new squirrel-proof bird table, filled up bird feeders on said table & put in outside. Planted up remaining French Marigolds around veg patch, planted up 4 medium pots with Alpine strawberries grown from seed, still around 15 to find homes for after already planting up 2 troughs & giving half to brother (need to remember to be more sparing when sowing these seeds in future!) and also potted up 8 pots of basil seedlings. Thats all for today.
                        Jane,
                        keen but (slightly less) clueless
                        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Got home to find my "mayor of Leicester" and "Lord Leicester" peas have germinated, as have my ne plus ultra peas, tarbais, ctot, borlottie, serbian pole, madiera maroon and gigandes beans are also poking through.

This weekend the courgettes will be going out as will some peppers plants.

Comment

• beautiful day here.
                            Finally planted my raspberry canes which arrived 10 days ago (although they were heeled in).

Repositioned a white currant - hope it will survive but it was entirely the wrong place.

Planted and staked up 6 tomato plants and put a small 'patio' tomato in a morrison's bucket.

generally weeded and watered.

Comment

• Showery again today. Not a lot to do in my garden. I watered and pulled up the odd weed. I did hoe and weed my sister's vegetable beds and a flower border, which took a while.

I see I have another patty-pan squash germinating in the heated propagator, which I'm pleased about. The one that had germinated is in a pot in the greenhouse.

The courgettes and pumpkin I transplanted into the garden yesterday are settling in and one courgette has been got at by a slug, already.

Penny
                              My photos at Webshots
                              Webshots

and

http://www.picturesofengland.com
                              Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Comment

• Potted up into their final pots the first of my tomatoes........red sausage toms.........must read up and find out whether i need to sideshoot them or not?
                                Planted out lavatera, chrysanthemums and sowed three small curved rows of swedes.
                                Planted a bed of potatoes grown from my own real seed...........just dibbled holes and dropped the plug plants in!
                                Last edited by Snadger; 19-05-2009, 08:00 PM.
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X