Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did some weeding. Harvested spring onions and some tumbling to tomatoes. Tidied up pots and deadheaded and finally gave the whole garden a good watering.
    AKA Angie

Comment

• I picked some eight ball courgettes, runner and broad beans, some spicy salad leafs and a pepper for a scrumches green salad. Then gave the green house a good cooling down with the hose.

Comment

• I got up at 10 o'clock with an awful hangover, went to the local cafe with a friend for a Belly-Buster, which promptly bust my belly. Then, hangover cured, I came home and turfed up 22lbs of potatoes before roasting a few for super. Hangover? What hangover?
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

• Today I pulled up the remains of my dwarf purple beans ( slugs had munched them to death). In their place I planted some winter cos and winter onions. Took some cuttings of sage, thyme and lavendar. Hope they take as I've never done this before. Pruned back my gooseberry bush. Cut off any toms flowers that had not produced fruit yet as I figure they won't ripen in time now. Also thinned out some of the leaves off my aubergines to let the air and light through.
          AKA Angie

Comment

• Quiet day to day as i went to alton towers yesterday with the OH and my lad , back playing me up with all the walking never mind i could be out there WEEDING

Comment

• Made rhubarb relish and jam yesterday evening.

Today I sowed a tray of Japanese Senshyu overwintering onions seeds, half a tray of 'spring Hero' ball headed spring cabbage and half a tray of Durham Early spring cabbage to supplement the row I have ready which are about 3 inches high in the seedbed outdoors.

Picked a bucketful of Crimson flowered broad beans and planted swede plantlets in there place.

Took a dozen hens eggs home as my daughter is bringing me some egg boxes this evening so the least i can do is give her some eggs!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• This morning before going to work I dug up 25kg Foremost, 15kg Duke of York and 25kg Charlotte spuds. Spent the day weeding round a hawthorn & dog rose hedgerow that is struggling to compete with the couch and rushes growing around it. On my way home I picked two carrier bags full of rowan berries - so first rowan jelly of the season is boiling away in the kitchen - when it's done, will pot it up then go and pick some courgettes - about 100 or so should be enough.
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Spent all day painting my octagonal chicken coop white............and the run..............and the wooden greenhouse frame..............in fact anyone or anything that stood still long enough got painted!
                  One of my cockerels now has a rather fetching red and WHITE comb (looks a bit like a mackem!)
                  Just had a nice bath and even after a good scrubbing I still have bits of white paint stuck all over me!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Harvested french beans, cucumber & the rest of my second row of spuds, they are one of 2 types as yet again i have buried the labels when earthing them up! Spent several hours in the greenhouse, removed mini tomato plants & chillis as there seems to be an infestation of caterpillars so sprayed them outside & had a good tidy up in the mean time. Trimmed a lot of diseased looking foliage off my 2 melon plants, hopefully this will mean my three developing melons will ripen before the plant gives up the ghost. All the french marigolds in pots in there too seemed infested with something as well as caterpillars (white cobwebby stuff) so gave them a a drastic hair cut & a good spray. Watered everything & fed melons with liquid seaweed. Went to garden centre for 2 bags of compost & some new bedding plants for my pots by the shed. Also went to Homebase & bought 8 bags of manure, 6 bags of sharp sand & some cement.
                    Last edited by Newbie; 15-08-2009, 10:43 PM.
                    Jane,
                    keen but (slightly less) clueless
                    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• I took my library card to the library and gave it too them because I am not prepared to pay the stupid fines that they imposed on some overdue books. They did not inform me that my books were due back.

It's got nowt to do with gardening but it's what I've done today. :-)

Comment

• Built two raised strawberry beds yesterday 5' X 14" and 6" deep. Had some new plants arrive on Friday so had to get on and do it. The new plants were a late variety called Sonata, supposed to crop over a long period. Need to get them filled up today but want to make up a mix of my own :- equal quantities of MPC, sharp sand and garden soil. The idea is to try and reduce the likely hood of vine weevil attack.

Ian

Comment

• Brought back(from lottie) 1kg green beens.
                          Carrots
                          Beetroot
                          1 Swede (1kg) best one yet.
                          Spinach.
                          Blackberry's
                          Apples(over hanging from garden at back)
                          Plums.(From neighbours lottie)
                          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

• OH sprayed weedkiller on the patio & filled in the gaps with sand & cement mix after he weeded it all last weekend. I raked up the bark chippings on the newest flower bed & pulled up all the weed control membrane off it ready for nice man John to come & dig it over tomorrow. Hopefully i will then be able to plant something in it without the need for a pickaxe. I also pulled out all the long grass from the bottom of the fence at the back of the bed and edged it too. Later on i watered & fed the toms, sowed some carrots (Parmex) & broccolli (Raab 60 days) on the veg patch - no idea if these will come to anything. Sowed in the GH Yellow Chard, Basil & Spring onions.
                            Last edited by Newbie; 16-08-2009, 06:35 PM.
                            Jane,
                            keen but (slightly less) clueless
                            http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Spent all day painting my octagonal chicken coop white............and the run..............and the wooden greenhouse frame..............in fact anyone or anything that stood still long enough got painted!
                              One of my cockerels now has a rather fetching red and WHITE comb (looks a bit like a mackem!)
                              Well - my dog is black with a bit of white - some one said - you've a black & white dog - I said a red & white one would look daft
                              NKP1962
                              The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
                              Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

• Eventually I decided that the caterpillars have won the brassica wore so I uprooted all my cabbage, cauliflowers, swede and PSB (6 plants of each). I did get 5 acceptable swede out of it.

Better luck next year.
                                Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                                Snadger - Director of Poetry
                                RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                                Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                                piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X