X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darwin.
    replied
    This has just totally confused me, I have not idea what pole or rod or perch means but if those are yearly prices they seem really really cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    ours are based, proportionally, on £25 per 5 perch plot (which is what they call a 'full' plot nowadays ) - pensioners pay nothing.
    we have water from March - October and good fences/gates and that's it!

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
    £63 for a full sized plot (about 270sq m). 50% discount for OAPs, one plot free for Committee members. 2 years discount of 50% for taking on a neglected wasteland.

Town water included onsite (troughs no hosepipes). Others sites have fencing but not ours as the perimeter is used by residents that have rear access garages (though it is strictly speaking allotment land). The association has a trading shop on the main site.

One thing we are (not) looking forward to is a hike in rents in the next few years. Our wonderful new Mayor has said he wants allotments to be "self funding"....

Bristol
    The Harwood v Reigate and Banstead Council case from the 1980's is your defence but make sure you make the Council aware now. It is so damned difficult trying to get something unpicked once it has been put in place,

Leave a comment:

• alldigging
    replied
    Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
    One thing we are (not) looking forward to is a hike in rents in the next few years. Our wonderful new Mayor has said he wants allotments to be "self funding"....

Bristol
    Not allowed.
    Not unless he makes other hobbies like swimming etc self-funding.

Leave a comment:

• salome2001
    replied
    £63 for a full sized plot (about 270sq m). 50% discount for OAPs, one plot free for Committee members. 2 years discount of 50% for taking on a neglected wasteland.

Town water included onsite (troughs no hosepipes). Others sites have fencing but not ours as the perimeter is used by residents that have rear access garages (though it is strictly speaking allotment land). The association has a trading shop on the main site.

Bristol
    Last edited by salome2001; 19-02-2013, 11:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Normans Mum
    replied
    Our plot, which is a half plot (about 40' x 20') is £17.50 a year. Not bad, I think... we have on site facilities as well.

Leave a comment:

• binley100
    replied
    If mine cost that much ^^^^I'd have to seriously reconsider ......

Leave a comment:

• Speed Gardener
    replied
    Our site comes under Runnymede council and I think these are the dearest in the country, about £12 a rod per year, half price for pensioners.
    We get water in mains fed troughs but that's it. The fences aren't really high enough to keep out the scallywags and we have had a fair bit of theft and damage in the last few years. The council baulked at the cost of fitting three strands of barbed wire at the top of the fence so you just have to change your habits, taking everything of value home after every visit.
    I've got 3 plots totalling 21 rod so the whole thing costs me over £250 a year.
    I'm not bothered by that because I don't drink much, don't smoke and probably get over a grand's worth of soft fruit from it which I couldn't grow at home. Not that I sell it, we eat it all in the course of the year.
    How many other hobbies are that cheap?
    Having said that, it does seem expensive compared to some places!

Leave a comment:

• cptncrackoff
    replied
    I thought I had replied to this first time round but cant find it so...

Ours is £23.50 for an estimated 5 rod plot. Mine is roughly 12.5mtr x 10mtr.
    They're all 5 rods - except for a couple of 2.5 rod plots that people who cant cope with 5 rods, or those who are naughty but promise to reform can have.
    The site is fully secure with fencing, locks, gates etc etc.
    As much water as you like.
    There is a regular free manure service, you just take what you want and return the bags, then the manure fairy re-fills them.
    There is a porta-loo on site, which is nice and clean.
    I havnt yet met the society, there is one and its £5 a year, which entitles you to order seeds through them, and use anything you can find in their shed.
    I got the plot in Sept/Oct and didnt have to pay for the remainder of 2012.
    You pay more for the first 2 years, then the 3yrd year is free. After that you pay the normal rent.
    It's £5 deposit on a key.
    I dont think there are any discounts.

Leave a comment:

• ~kirsty~
    replied
    Mines £34 a year, without water apparently...although onsite the council appear to have supplied water tap, and its available at the allotment next door, so not far to walk! Same price regardless of price... and no idea how big mine is... I have no idea about sizes...

Leave a comment:

• VirginVegGrower
    replied
    Just had our yearly invoice and it has remained the same at £28 for just under five rods/half plot. At £35 for ten rods/full plot. £15 for OAPS/non working.
    Pleased it's stayed the same but feel aggrieved that it's £23 more than Mikey AND NO CHOCOLATE! How did you swing that chap?

Leave a comment:

• binley100
    replied
    Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    Go on then! Spreadsheet time Bins
    Whats one of them ??? Can I grow it ??

Leave a comment:

• alldigging
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    my 4 rod 1/2 plot is £5 inc water clubhouse secure parking, nightwatchman, and all the chocolate you can eat.
    I would be interested in that sort of deal

Leave a comment:

• Mikey
    replied
    my 4 rod 1/2 plot is £5 inc water clubhouse secure parking, nightwatchman, and all the chocolate you can eat.

Leave a comment:

• VirginVegGrower
    replied
    Originally posted by binley100 View Post
    It would be an interesting exercise for someone to do a comparison of all these sites ....charges per squ metre etc and benefits....also if they are private run etc......
    We are an association but our rent for the site goes to the council via a garden council which acts as a buffer between all the sites in the area and the council This is good cos it seems to keep the council at arms length .
    Go on then! Spreadsheet time Bins

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X