X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    B'ham have made steep increases in allotment rents over the past 3 years, but apparently that is because the cost had been the same for some years before that, and this just brings it back into line. To be fair, they were stupidly cheap (my first rent in 2007 at the Hill for the half plot was £18 for the whole year, as I recall).

Now that has been done, there are no plans to make annual increases above inflation. This according to our site treasurer who has raised the issue with the Council. Hope that holds true.

I know how tight the finances are for B'ham. Like Spiderpig I feel that allotments here are still really good value (my half plot rent is now £50pa), and I'd rather the rents go up a bit rather than cuts having to be made in other areas which might affect care for the elderly or other vulnerable groups.
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM. Reason: clarity!

Leave a comment:

• spiderpig
    replied
    In Birmingham and council put full size plot up to £80 per year,doubling last years figure,but they are in dire financial straits,so it was no surprise.i still think it is good value.

Leave a comment:

• CountryNumpty
    replied
    I have a private plot in Pulborough, West Sussex.
    Approx 100 sq m, which I make out to be 4 rods???
    £60 for the year including water supplied in multiple troughs around the site.

Site is enclosed with rabbit-proof fencing and plot holders are responsible for fencing between the plots. No trees permitted, although an orchard has recently been planted next to the allotments.
    I got a shed and greenhouse included, apparently now whatever stock is around can be used, but no new sheds or greenhouses will be provided.
    The allotments are part of a garden centre so we have use of toilets, cafe and well-stocked shop during opening hours.
    Only downside for me is that no chickens are allowed, but I'm hoping to work on getting this changed :-)

I think it is good value for what I get, and there was no waiting list! Hoping to get a second plot ASAP.

Leave a comment:

• bubblewrap
    replied
    Just paid the rent £22.65(concessions) for 300 + square yards
    Charnwood Borough Council.

Leave a comment:

• Jackbb
    replied
    Just joined my allotment in Lamberhurst, Kent.

Plot measuring 25x35ft annual cost of £15 which i think is fantastic.

Not allowed sheds, greenhouses or polytunnells though which isnt so fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• alldigging
    replied
    From 2014-15 for 2 years our rents will be 24p per m2 and 12p concessions. (Plus whatever member and associate member fee we decide)

We're not allowed to stop the OAP rate as it's 'in our lease'. But any OAPs feeling generous can make a donation of the rest.

Leave a comment:

• StaryD
    replied
    Our plot costs us £26 a year for a 10 rod plot (half plot is £13)
    £10 joining fee for new tenants, plus £20 key deposit (as the whole site is fenced off with large 8ft tall metal fencing.
    After 3 years you can become a full member at an extra £1 a year.
    Site has mains water (though turned off in October)
    Mower, bushwhacker/strimmer and tiller all available for hire. (Mower £3 per tankful, bushwhacker/strimmer I think is £8 a tank, and not sure what the tiller is to Hire as I have never used it.)
    Ground is medium to heavy clay.
    Location is Walton-on-the-naze in Essex.

Leave a comment:

• spanish_gardener
    replied
    £104, 4.50x7.5 ms., fenced, communal shed and toilet.

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Take what you can get matey but as Sarz says, in the past it was reckoned that a 300 squ yard plot(250 squ mtrs) was needed to allow a family of 4 to be self sufficient in vegetables.

Leave a comment:

• sir david
    replied
    So I must have about 10 rods then ?

David

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    To be fair, I think there are reasons to supply smaller plots, some folks just don't want or are unable to tend full sized ones. However, there is no reason on this earth to charge more for a small plot than a pro rata proportion of the rent of a full sized plot.

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    Originally posted by binley100 View Post
    Jeez ....really annoys me that sites are now reclassifying half sized plots as full ones when traditionally a full size plot is 10rods .
    And the reason they were 10 rods is because that's what was necessary to feed a family, can't see that that's changed much really. They're starting to split plots on our site, which is not good considering half of the plots are the wrong size to begin with due to boundaries creeping out into untended plots back in the dark days.

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    30and a quarter square yards or thereabouts

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    About 5 meters I think... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rod_16833.html

Leave a comment:

• sir david
    replied
    er whats a rod ?
    Its all "mettre carré "here ( thats a meter sq )

David

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X