Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year £63 for a full one, OAP's get 50% off but not sure if that's over 60's or over 65's, the local council are trying to cut pretty much all our services such as they are, and removing our "subsidy" or threatening to put the rent up to £97 next year. Welcome to Exeter it's a green city (Ha!).

Comment

• about £65.00 for a year, water about £21. 00 incl. In Wakefield. Very unfair as rodent services and waste management stopped. This is for a plot size of 150 ft x 25ft.
      Sodbuster

Comment

• £5.00 per year + £20.00 deposit (returnable) to leave site in good order when you give up. water supplied no commitee or storage etc. but what do you expect for a fiver per year.

Comment

• My full plot will cost £100 inc water. OAP's get a discount but I'm not one yet. I'm in Birmingham.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
          Bex

Comment

• £40 for a full plot inc. water and use of a portacabin kitchen and loo.
            What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• We have a full plot of nearly 6 poles. It's £54.60 a year including water. It's a council site in north London with shed selling compost etc and bits and pieces, like wheelbarrows, available when they're not needing mending.

No toilets, no electricity, no discounts off water. Discount if you're state pension or state registered disabled.

We have compost and woodchip deliveries.

Comment

• I'm currently paying £200.00 a year for an allotment of 6m x 18m on a privately owned site. Included in that is your membership fee to the site's Allotment Association, water (nearest is about 50m of hose away) and a regular supply of horse manure from a local stable. This is about a 15-20min drive away from where I live.

Thankfully my local council have at long last decided to supply allotments. The first (hopefully of many) site is due to be completed at the end of this week and we hope to get access before the end of the month. The plots will be 8m x 12m and we have paid £20 to secure a plot for the current half year with a promise that the next years rent will be no more than £40. At present there will be only two stand pipes for the whole site but we hope to expand that in the next year or two. The site will also have a large communal area with two council supplied communal polytunnels. This site is about a 5-10min walk from my house!

Needless to say I will be giving up the private allotment at the end of this year.
                Last edited by jaxh725; 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM.
                John

Comment

• Intriguing to read how prices and services differ across the country! Mine costs £50 per year with no extras. No water, no portaloo, no communal anything. Luckily it is a great community though so am happy.

Comment

• I must live in the cheapest areas for allotments, mine is £5 per plot (25yds X 5yds)I have two adjacent plots so £10 a year is cheap! but there is no water or vehicle access, the water I have sorted with 9 water butts, all free from my work(waste management)and a wheelbarrow! the cost of getting anything to my plots from my car is measured in calories X 10K per trip !!
                    Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

• Mine is £110 per year for a large corner plot with Water, sheds and a homemade greenhouse.For the pleasure i get from it i call that dirt cheap.

Comment

• 20 quid a year for a full plot, water and manure provided if we want it although I am self sufficient, thinking of taking a second plot next year as well, 5 min walk from my house, and I can drive right upto it with my tipper loads of muck when needed.

Comment

• My (council) half plot is £100 a year, a full plot would have been £200. Pensioners get a 50% discount but I'm not one yet.
                          We do have a loo which is maintained and cleaned by plotholders and there are water taps dotted about. That's all though. The council don't come except to do occasional spot checks. Paths, fencing, rubbish removal etc are all down to us.
                          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Gosh, what a lot of variation in different places.

Mine is a half plot and costs £12.50 per year, plus £17.00 per year for water. So that's £29.50 per year. However, for the first two years (2010 and 2011) it was free because the whole site was newly created from land that had not been cultivated before and was in a reet state. There are no facilities of any sort apart from water.
                            My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

• A "Plot" is a very confusing term.
                              I have read dozens of threads where the "Plot" differs in size.
                              So comparing prices of plots seems a bit silly. You will not get an accurate answer.
                              Somebody state the size of a plot in modern terminology.
                              Not in rods, or sticks, or roods, furlong, chain, link, pole, perch, Ramsden's chain.

Square meters is the accepted modern method of measurement.
                              EG
                              My plot is 505 square meters. Price is £150 per year

I must stop drinking strong coffee on a morning. It has me posting these pedantic replies

Comment

• Definition from The National Allotment Society:

"An allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times. 10 poles is the accepted size of an allotment, the equivalent of 250 square metres or about the size of a doubles tennis court".
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X