need advice on dealing with plot holder

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bramble View Post
    I can't believe you waited until the tennis was over before you phoned someone!!!!!!
    that thought did cross my mind too!
    http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Right the police have told me to phone the allotment officer at the council for advice. As the non plot holders have never said they don't wantb to be there and because someone has offered to let them out but they've wanted to stay there's not much they can do although she has said to contact her if we can't reslove the problem.

So I'm now just waiting for the allotments officer to phone regarding a course of action.

edited to say - they weren't there last night.
      Last edited by marathon; 06-07-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

update - very helpful chap at the council.

Basically in agreement with the police in that no crime has taken place but it is very concerning even if no actuall crime has taken place. He is going to get his manager to phone me this luch time to discuss it further. He talked about no proof, I did point out that poeple have seen them and on three evening approached them. He also said not to approach the plot during the evening/night but during the day. He also was unsure about changing the access in the evening, I guess that isn't the issue and we do have to get to the bottom of what is actually going on with this group of people/firnds/family.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
          As the non plot holders have never said they don't wantb to be there and because someone has offered to let them out but they've wanted to stay there's not much they can do...
          FFS!! You've already said that they can't walk very far, if someone let them out where/how were they supposed to go??!! And from what you've said, they sound frightened of the plot-holder, so would they have dared to leave anyway? Jeez, I can't believe that the police are being so blase!!!!!!

Social services should be informed so that these poor elderly folks can be protected. I suggest calling Age Concern, marathon. I know this isn't what you expected to take on as secretary, but when something like this happens we all have a duty to stand up and do something about it, not stand by and hope/expect someone else will deal with it. (Not that I'm accusing you of complacency of course marathon, you are obviously concerned or wouldn't have posted on here about it)
          Last edited by SarzWix; 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

You could put a stop to this tonight simply change the lock at dusk making sure ther is nobody on site and being there early in the morning to change it back to normal .
            That should put the brakes on the capers ....jacob
            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
              You could put a stop to this tonight simply change the lock at dusk making sure ther is nobody on site and being there early in the morning to change it back to normal .
              That should put the brakes on the capers ....jacob
              But then would the plot holder just dump these apparantly very vulnerable folk somewhere even less safe?

I hope you get a resolution soon marathon. I'm sure you can't have expected to be doing this sort of thing when you took on the job!
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                FFS!! You've already said that they can't walk very far, if someone let them out where/how were they supposed to go??!! And from what you've said, they sound frightened of the plot-holder, so would they have dared to leave anyway? Jeez, I can't believe that the police are being so blase!!!!!!

Social services should be informed so that these poor elderly folks can be protected. I suggest calling Age Concern, marathon. I know this isn't what you expected to take on as secretary, but when something like this happens we all have a duty to stand up and do something about it, not stand by and hope/expect someone else will deal with it. (Not that I'm accusing you of complacency of course marathon, you are obviously concerned or wouldn't have posted on here about it)
                I am so not being complacent I really want to find this chap and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing leaving elderly people on the site at night, locking them in, turning up at anti social hours and generally P***ing everyone off and ask him for the key back. But of course I can't. I don't feel like being in his company on my own as the first ever sentance he spoke to me included the word sexy which made me feel uneasy.

My thought are that whilst it could turn out that the non plot holders are happy to be there are they aren't frightened of the son??? I feel uneasy that they might be some other not so nice going on's. The fact of the mater is that people are on the site who are not plot holders who are unable to leave the site should they need to. They don't appear to have phones (could be wrong on this) so if one shoulf fall how on earth would they get help and like someone mentioned earlier how would help get to them. So despite the fact that they are elderly it's all wrong.

Still waiting for the council too phone back, i'll phone them again if they don't hurry up. I'm starting to feel that people don't think it's as serious as I do (apart from grapes of course and a few fellow plot holders)
                Last edited by marathon; 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                  I hope you get a resolution soon marathon. I'm sure you can't have expected to be doing this sort of thing when you took on the job!

I've only been saying that I don't seem to be doing enough, said out a few letter, listen to moans and groans but that's about it. We had a lady hit around the head a few times by a nutty neighbour which was a complete one off. Very peaceful, hidden site that until a few weeks ago was hassle free.

I don't know if this is typical of other sites but i feel like there's a lot of grumbles, and moaning about what is happening but nobody has asked if anything is being done about it.

Comment

I don't feel like being in his company on my own as the first ever sentance he spoke to me included the word sexy which made me feel uneasy.
                    I think you're absolutely right not to risk any confrontation on your own! Given the lack of any 'good' explanation, I would assume the worst about this person, for now, and make sure you don't put yourself in a vulnerable position.
                    I was feeling part of the scenery
                    I walked right out of the machinery
                    My heart going boom boom boom
                    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                    I've come to take you home."

Comment

We had a lady hit around the head a few times by a nutty neighbour...
                      Theres a lot that goes on your site for such a small place. I'm sure everyone just minds their own on our site. However, I hope you get some resolution to this matter. It does sound odd.
                      Last edited by Matt.; 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM.
                      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        I can't believe that the police are being so blase!!!!!!

I can
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

council phoned - the manager is out on another site so will ring me later today or first thing in the morning.

One thing came up is that he is in breech of his tenancy agreement so I've looked at out T & C and i've think -

4. Not to cause nor allow to be caused any nuisance or annyance to neighbouring properties, not obstruct paths or hauling ways

5. Not to underlet the allotment plot in any mannor (possible breech)
                          18. not to use the hut for anything other than the purposes of the allotment garden

Comment

I'd keep out of his way and not risk a direct confrontation, you are an allotment secretary, not the police or social services and this is not part of your remit. We have encountered 'social' problems on our site over the years; the alcoholic who decided a lottie shed was a better place to spend his days than the public library - but who didn't cause any problems and actually grew a small amount of decent veg. The chap who we suspected - but never proved - was sleeping in his shed for a few weeks after his marriage broke up, but the fact is they were hurting no-one but themselves, in your case it seems like a plot-holder is actually mistreating some vulnerable people. Personally I'd worry about what will happen to these elderly people if the man loses his tenancy. I'd suspect the problem will just move elsewhere.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                              I'd keep out of his way and not risk a direct confrontation, you are an allotment secretary, not the police or social services and this is not part of your remit. We have encountered 'social' problems on our site over the years; the alcoholic who decided a lottie shed was a better place to spend his days than the public library - but who didn't cause any problems and actually grew a small amount of decent veg. The chap who we suspected - but never proved - was sleeping in his shed for a few weeks after his marriage broke up, but the fact is they were hurting no-one but themselves, in your case it seems like a plot-holder is actually mistreating some vulnerable people. Personally I'd worry about what will happen to these elderly people if the man loses his tenancy. I'd suspect the problem will just move elsewhere.
                              You read my mind, the guy at the council said if he does leave the site we could always tip of social services because the chairmen (somewhere) has his details. I just worry that everything is actually dandy and we've misunderstood the setup. That's me just trying not to upset people but lets face it who wouldn't think that it's all odd and rather concerning.

Like why do they need to be locked in. Say they are happy to be there at night why doesn't he just leave them the key. He can still pick them up, if it's all above board why lock them in and take the key or at the very least why lock the gate at all????????

Can I jsu say thanks grapes for offering advice and support on this as it's (elderly being locked in the site at night) isn't in the handbook how to manage a site.

Comment

Marathon: anonymous tip off to your local paper? That make things start moving.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X