No announcement yet.

need advice on dealing with plot holder

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a shame we didn't know about TonyF's organisation sooner, it sounds a very worthwhile and probably sadly needed thing. If you have no joy from social services then I'd definitely get in touch with them. I think you are doing the right thing. I was thinking about this last night and wondered if this man was perhaps the official 'carer' for these people, leaving them there in a secure place while he had a break (or even did the housework). It's possible that he's under a lot of pressure, but if SS become involved then they might get him the help he needs. I don't think that talking to professionals is necessarily being done to try and get him into trouble, but it might help a family who are at breaking point.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
      Marathon, when I lived in the UK I was one of the people that founded, with other Age Concern people, an organisation called Action on Elder Abuse. It's still running and is fully independent of AC now and you can get their number through your local Age Concern Office. I would seriously urge you to give them a ring and get them involved because if this had been brought to me as a practitioner/activist, me and my team would have been all over it like a rash, it's just not right and proper.
      Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      0808 808 8141, 9-5
      Thanks for the info TonyF and Twosheds Useful info and will use it.

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
      There may turn out to be a rational logical reason for these activities, but I am struggling to see one from the outside.
      I keep panicing that we've got it all wrong.

reasons
      Can't work the plot in day -lots of people work but they don't work the plot at night and they come early mornings,evenings, weeked. If you can't do that then an allotment isn't for you
      My elderly parents/friends find it too hot in the day - Guests are welcome but it's your plot you should be on the plot with your guests
      I can't pick them up until after my shift - Then you should visit on another day
      They need picking up as they are unable to walk easily - Children and the eldery should be supervised at all times for health and safety
      Last edited by marathon; 08-07-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
        Don't panic. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck...

Comment

Don't panic - if there's nothing wrong then there's no harm done, but if there is something wrong then at least you have alerted the right people
          Last edited by zazen999; 08-07-2009, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I can guess you might be worrying marathon, but you've definitely done the right thing. Even if this man is just misguided, he needs putting straight that elderly/vulnerable people can't just be dumped at an allotment and locked in in the middle of the night, even if it's what they want, it's just not safe! And if it turns out that they are being abused in some way, then even better that you have had the courage to stand up and do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Absolutely.
              ...and working a plot in your nightie and slippers?

Does that count for Pyjamas as well

Comment

I hate to say this but your site would be held responsable if there was an accident on site ! If your insurance company get wind of this they may cancel your public liability insurance !
                Only time we go up the site late at night is bonfire night !
                As you have started locking the gate that should stop his games all you can do is give his address ect to the social services its down to them to deal with it from there, they are paid to sort it out us secretarys have enough to do without added stress

Comment

Originally posted by flowerofshona View Post
                  I hate to say this but your site would be held responsable if there was an accident on site ! If your insurance company get wind of this they may cancel your public liability insurance !
                  Only time we go up the site late at night is bonfire night !
                  As you have started locking the gate that should stop his games all you can do is give his address ect to the social services its down to them to deal with it from there, they are paid to sort it out us secretarys have enough to do without added stress
                  Not sure if your aware but on allotments sites liability insurance only cover things like when using machines no one can sure the council or associations. Not sure if it's different with private sites. When looking at our paperwork I realised this must be the case but did check with the council and it was confirmed. Also contacted the allotment society and they also confirmed it.
                  Last edited by marathon; 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Not sure if your aware but on allotments sites liability insurance only cover things like when using machines no one can sure the council or associations. Not sure if it's different with private sites. When looking at our paperwork I realised this must be the case but did check with the council and it was confirmed. Also contacted the allotment society and they also confirmed it.
                    Marathon
                    Does this cover people that are allowed to be there ie. plot holders that pay rent and are named as a plot holder, what about outsiders looking around the site who ask to be given a go on the rotorvator and end up getting minced, like wise old people wandering around the plot stand on the rake Charlie Rhubarb left laying point up knocking themselves out fall over break a hip and succumb to hyperthermia because the ambulance cant get in to the site while matey is down the pub leaving the old people unsupervised.

Comment

• Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                      Marathon
                      Does this cover people that are allowed to be there ie. plot holders that pay rent and are named as a plot holder, what about outsiders looking around the site who ask to be given a go on the rotorvator and end up getting minced, like wise old people wandering around the plot stand on the rake Charlie Rhubarb left laying point up knocking themselves out fall over break a hip and succumb to hyperthermia because the ambulance cant get in to the site while matey is down the pub leaving the old people unsupervised.

Anyone one on the site is there at their own risk and guests are the reasonablity of the plot holder. So I guess they would sue the son, my children could sue etc As i said the council said that no allotment site can be sued private sites such as those on farmland have different rules.

Comment

• have the elderly people returned? any more complaints from the neighbours?
                        http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Has Mrs Warboys returned in her nightie yet to do some double digging?

Comment

• Originally posted by lozza_9 View Post
                            have the elderly people returned? any more complaints from the neighbours?
                            Nothing - but I'm guessing the weather might have something to do with it. Found out today that when he was discovered digging at night he was very horrible to the neighbour who asked him what he was doing out on the site at such a time.

Comment

• At best this man is rude... or it could be much more... your doing the right thing here. In all honesty I think your allotment site would be better without this man.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by forkhandles View Post
                                has mrs warboys returned in her nightie yet to do some double digging?
                                Last edited by marathon; 09-07-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X