Mr H - Newbie - Hi

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
    Hi Mr H,welcome to the vine,hope you get one soon,on the time scale available for you to go down the plot,remember the nights are getting lighter,so maybe you will be able to go after work sometimes,most important thing though is,remember to take a drink /snack with you,it does become infectious,and you may loose track of time hehehe,good luck and fingers x'd for you.
    You are right. I can’t wait for the lighter evenings and mornings come to that. I’m definitely not a winter person.
    Food and drink. Good idea but then I really would not come back home until dark ��
    Leafy Hampshire
    2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      Welcome to the vine Mr H,good luck getting a plot very soon!

Thank you Jungle Jane. Fingers crossed here too
      Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
        Welcome along...
        Good advice already but I'd reinforce that the nearer to home the better, water if possible

and remember to enjoy it

Fingers crossed for you
        Thank you Baldy. There’s not much difference in in the distance to be honest
        The one slightly further away has less parking and not sure about water. My local town site has almost no parking though. Although it has the longest waiting list. It’s less likely I will get a plot there I guess. It has by far the longest waiting list
        Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Latest Update. Had a lovely email this weekend telling me I was now first in the waiting list at one of the sites I signed up for. Trying not to get too excited as I realise that I'm still waiting for someone to give up their plot so I can have one.
          Nevertheless I'm eager to get going, the site is a mile or so from home, which is about the same as our town one would be. It's only in the parish next to us and we live on the parish border. Fingers crossed that the wait is nearly over.

Then I guess the fear will creep in. All I can do now is read what everyone else is up to and try not to plan out my own plot. Seems there isn't much point in that until I know 1) that I've got one 2) what state it's in.
          Leafy Hampshire

Comment

^Here's hoping.

You could at least plan what you want to grow, even if you can't plan the beds themselves. That's a large part of the fun at this time of year.

Comment

Oh yes planning is definitely part of the fun. It certainly was when we had the 9 square meter veg plot in the back garden. But that's nothing compared to an allotment plot size!

Basically the idea is to grow what we like to eat - which is pretty much plenty of fruit and veg. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting some perennials in this year to help make sure that I cultivate the minimum area needed by the summer. Seems they are quite hot on that around here.

I'm hoping to be able to start soonish as I plan to move our existing Raspberry canes and gooseberry bushes from the garden to the plot once I get it. Unless someone is going to tell me I'm too late!

Other fruit will hopefully be Rhubarb and strawberries.

I'd like to cultivate an asparagus bed. We eat tons of it when in season, but I know it will take a while to get it being productive.

Other than that. Loads of beans, french and broad ones. Fresh peas will be welcome too and I've always wanted to grow potatoes. Then if I can find some tomatoes that will grow outdoors, some onions for pickling and enough herbs to keep my kitchen stocked then I will be doing well.

I'm also aware that I won't achieve all of that in one go.
              Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Hi Mr H sounds promising I’ll keep them crossed for you! You’ll need to hear soon if your planning asparagus so you can plant the crowns when they’re dormant (unless you was starting from seed) I planted mine last year can’t wait to have my own asparagus!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
                  Hi Mr H sounds promising I’ll keep them crossed for you! You’ll need to hear soon if your planning asparagus so you can plant the crowns when they’re dormant (unless you was starting from seed) I planted mine last year can’t wait to have my own asparagus!
                  Hadn’t thought about that for the asparagus. What’s the latest I can plant them down here in the sunny south? Didn’t think about seeds but unless I can sow asparagus seeds directly that’s a non-starter. We don’t have a geeenhouse. Also seeds sounds like it will take much longer for asparagus to give any yield.
                  Wouldn’t it still be quicker to wait until next year than sow seed?
                  Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Rather randomly I planted mine out in November so was actually the year before last but first growing year was last year- I think it’s normally March they are usually planted as crowns and I think it takes an extra year for seed sown (other grapes feel free to correct me!!) Not really sure if they need cover as seedlings!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
                      Rather randomly I planted mine out in November so was actually the year before last but first growing year was last year- I think it’s normally March they are usually planted as crowns and I think it takes an extra year for seed sown (other grapes feel free to correct me!!) Not really sure if they need cover as seedlings!
                      Just done some digging on the internet - guess I need plenty of digging practice
                      Seems I would need to plant crowns around March so yes this year might be pushing things. I don't want to rush it, especially for Asparagus. I'll have to be patient.
                      Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Crowns vary in how much they are cut down too - I've bought them twice now, and the first set were very long, very fleshy roots and they settled in quite nicely. The ones I've bought from Wilk0 have been cut shorter, so it is only logical that they will take longer to settle in. I think I will give them two years of settling, and start taking spears in their third year.
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
                          At the moment I'm leaning towards getting some perennials in this year to help make sure that I cultivate the minimum area needed by the summer. Seems they are quite hot on that around here.
                          Some plants that trail about might help make it look you've got lot under cultivation. Squash, melons, ridge cucs and even courgettes, which are quite sizeable plants.

And if you're looking for something tall to hide an eyesore or bare patch, sweetcorn might serve your purpose. Plus, homegrown sweetcorn is well worth growing for its own sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                            Some plants that trail about might help make it look you've got lot under cultivation. Squash, melons, ridge cucs and even courgettes, which are quite sizeable plants.

And if you're looking for something tall to hide an eyesore or bare patch, sweetcorn might serve your purpose. Plus, homegrown sweetcorn is well worth growing for its own sake.
                            I tried squash and courgettes in the garden a few years back with little success. But that was probably more due to poor location. Our veg plot only got the sun late afternoon.

Sweet corn though did well when I grew it amongst the roses. And you’re right it’s well worth growing and on the list.

The list just keeps growing
                            Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Update: We're getting a plot!
                              So exciting. Had an email last night to say that two plots were coming available. They are just waiting for the previous tenants to confirm that they have removed everything that they want to keep. They have a week to do that. So just a little more waiting.

Once confirmed though we can go and visit and decide which one we want.

Nearly there
                              Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Congratulations Mr H.... if you're anything like me now the real excitement begins!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X