Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr H - Newbie - Hi

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mr H - Newbie - Hi

    Hi!

    I'm new here but been looking around and there seems a barrow load of good advice, so I thought I'd jump in.

    I don't have an allotment yet. When we moved house a corner of the garden was given over to Veg, just under the kitchen window. We thought it would be a great way to introduce our then young daughter to the idea of growing things. It worked to a degree. It was the wrong corner of the garden, up against the north facing side of our house, and received little full sun. We made the most of it and successfully grew a variety of veg over the following years in four edged beds that allowed some basic crop rotation. Plenty of broad beans, dwarf french beans, garlic, kale, the odd cabbage, tomatoes and sweetcorn, to name a few.

    Ultimately though it was clear that the position was not ideal and two years ago we covered it all over and made a lovely seating area on a deck. I miss the veg! So started looking at getting an allotment. Our town has a few so I put name on the waiting list. There are about 30 people in front of you I was told. That was 18 months ago. A polite enquiry for an update and I'm now 14th.

    Now I'm normally a patient chap but there are limits, so I started some research and found three other sites within 10mins from the house in neighbouring parishes. One clearly states that plots are only for residents but they have vacant plots, the residency rule is hard and fast. The other two are more welcoming to non-residents stating only that residents are given priority on the waiting list. I.e. They run two waiting lists effectively and only when the resident one is empty are non-residents considered.

    The good news is there is only one other person on the waiting list at the moment so I've put my name down. Both sites have an annual review in January as that's rent payment time so I'm told there is a good chance a couple of people will decide not to renew their plot and I might get a chance for one. Fingers crossed, only need two people to decide not to continue and will have an allotment. Trying not to get too excited, but having spoken to one of the membership managers on the phone at the weekend he seemed fairly confident something would be available this month.

    Wish me luck.

    Mr H

  • #2
    Hi Mr H and welcome
    Good luck with gaining a plot! Have you thought about what you'd like to grow when you do?

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome along Mr H. Will you keep your name on the waiting list for a plot at your local site? If so, you might not want to spend too much effort and expense on this current one - if you garden smart, you can grow plenty of stuff with minimal effort - I assume that since the plots will only just have been vacated, they will be in a reasonable state.

      Good luck!
      He-Pep!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Hi Mr H and welcome
        Good luck with gaining a plot! Have you thought about what you'd like to grow when you do?
        Hello VeggieChicken. Thanks for the welcome.

        Discussed that with DD on the school run today and the list suddenly grew. I was going to start off simple; salad potatoes, beans, onions and maybe some tomatoes. The idea is basically to have fun growing veg again and to supply some of our fresh food as we like eating healthily in our house.

        DD has added most of the things we used to grow in the small corner of the garden so; carrots, sweetcorn, peas.

        Mrs H is hoping we can keep her vases full of cut flowers all summer.

        To be honest until I get a plot and see what state it's in then I don't want to commit to too much although I know that the tenancy agreements all state that at least 75% of the plot must be cultivated during the summer months and is subject to spot checks! That does worry me a little as we work full time and whilst we are keen gardeners we don't want to spend all of every weekend in the allotment either. I'm wondering if asking for a half plot might be better to start. But each time I think that I then think that ultimately I'd prefer to have a full one. Decisions, decisions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome to the vine
          Good luck with getting a plot. It's a little all consuming waiting for someone to say yes isn't?
          https://m.facebook.com/Isle-of-Mull-...9854614879285/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bario1 View Post
            Welcome along Mr H. Will you keep your name on the waiting list for a plot at your local site? If so, you might not want to spend too much effort and expense on this current one - if you garden smart, you can grow plenty of stuff with minimal effort - I assume that since the plots will only just have been vacated, they will be in a reasonable state.

            Good luck!
            Thank you Bario.
            That's another consideration. It depends really on what, if anything, I get offered. Out of the two likely sites, one has a 12 month renewable tenancy but is the furthest from home. The other is a five year commitment. I think if I ended up on there then I'd cancel the local waiting list.

            In fairness all the sites are pretty local. The town one I've been waiting for is about a mile and half away whereas the others are only about 3.5 miles away. So the travel distance isn't very different.

            I'm hoping you are right about being in a reasonable state. Having read on here what some people take on I'm getting nervous about what I'm doing. It's exciting though, just hope I'll get offered a plot this month, otherwise it would seem that I'm in for another 12 months on waiting lists. That said it appears many on here wait much longer than a few years.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
              Welcome to the vine
              Good luck with getting a plot. It's a little all consuming waiting for someone to say yes isn't?
              Hi Small Pumpkin
              Yes it's frustrating as I really just want to get on with it. I enjoy gardening and really miss our veg plot even if it was in a poor location. The scale of an allotment though is a little scary but as long as it isn't completely overgrown I'm confident we can get enough growing in the first year to justify keeping it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Mr H,

                Good luck on getting a plot, it's great fun and can be as time consuming as you want to make it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mr H View Post
                  Thank you Bario.
                  That's another consideration. It depends really on what, if anything, I get offered. Out of the two likely sites, one has a 12 month renewable tenancy but is the furthest from home. The other is a five year commitment. I think if I ended up on there then I'd cancel the local waiting list.
                  .
                  Five years is a long commitment. Is there a penalty if you leave early?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I know what it's like to be itching to get going, once you have the idea in your head! I waited 8 years for my plot... it was in a right state when i got it and the position of the plot within the site isn't ideal. I've done so much hard work on it that I couldn't bear to swap it for a better plot, so now I'm stuck with it, but I still love it. I started on a half plot and it's definitely less daunting, especially if you work full time - luckily the other half came up after a few years, just as I'd got my half in shape.
                    Don't underestimate the importance of convenience though, I would keep my name on the waiting list for your nearest one - you can go and have a look when you're offered it, it might just be amazing! If you already have a plot elsewhere you have the luxury of turning it down if it's not great, and they may offer you a better one at a later date?
                    He-Pep!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Five years is a long commitment. Is there a penalty if you leave early?
                      Hi VeggieChicken. I think they want to ensure that people think about the commitment. There is the option to end the tenancy by only giving a month's notice so it's not as bad as it first appears. The council however have to give 12 month's notice unless you break the rules.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                        Hi Mr H,

                        Good luck on getting a plot, it's great fun and can be as time consuming as you want to make it.
                        Hello McDood
                        Thanks, and yes I know I don't have to be there everyday. I also know how much I love the fresh air and growing things so the temptation will be great. I just hope I do get offered something this time round.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                          Don't underestimate the importance of convenience though, I would keep my name on the waiting list for your nearest one - you can go and have a look when you're offered it, it might just be amazing! If you already have a plot elsewhere you have the luxury of turning it down if it's not great, and they may offer you a better one at a later date?
                          Good advice. You see it's exactly for supportive comments like that that I decided to join here. Thanks all for your warm welcome.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi Mr H, and welcome
                            I will keep my fingers crossed for you getting a plot soon!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                              Hi Mr H, and welcome
                              I will keep my fingers crossed for you getting a plot soon!
                              Awe thank you. Me too. I'm so excited this week but realise it might be early Feb before I find out. Really hoping I don't have to wait another year though.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Recent Blog Posts

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X