No announcement yet.

New k1tchens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a great fan of underfloor heating, can you imagine the mess and cost when it goes pear shaped.

If we are short of room I tend to recommend one of the Myson Lo-line or Hi-line remote control heaters.

They are heated by your central heating system but have a fan, so lots of heat from a compact unit.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

We have underfloor heating (electric) in our bathrooms...oh it's wonderful in the winter, especially if you get up during the night as you can set the low temperature too so it clicks on and just keeps the floor from becoming absolutely freezing. When it's off during the summer and you have a cold night, you really notice the difference!
      sigpic

Comment

Electrical, my son's an electrician. It's already installed in the bathroom but not connected yet.
        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
        Oxfordshire

Comment

I didn't realise that everything would be so fast. I asked (2X) on Friday when they would need the white goods out of the kitchen which I was using apart from anything that needed a drain. I was told mid to end of this week. Yesterday they told me it needed clearing NOW. I can't do this on my own so I had to ask my son to help. He had no time because he was taking his dad out but put it off for an hour and helped me.

Today they put the roof on and started taking down one of the 2 walls they have to remove. We've had building control around to approve what's happened so far and advise on the next bit.

The whole design is based on light. At the moment it's so dark I can't believe we've actually opened the rooms up. But 2 walls have to come down.

I locked myself out of the house today. See 68 year old lady climb through window, left open from when my son drained the system at the weekend.

I seem to be living in a bedsit. I'm sleeping, working and cooking in the lounge. It will get there, I'm impressed with how fast. I'm not impressed with Thames Water or British Gas neither of whom have come back to me as to when I can install my boiler and have the "emergency" leak mended. Both of them said within 7 days nearly 2 weeks ago.
          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
          Oxfordshire

Comment

They have had unexpected decent weather and have cracked on. Much better this way than bad weather and the job taking twice as long.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Wall between my old kitchen and the demolished conservatory came down today. The things that hold the house up while they put in the new beams have arrived. I stood in there and it looked a lot bigger than I was expecting. The extension looks bigger than the old kitchen but when I measured it, it's 2cms smaller. Optical illusion. Still no sense out of Thames Water or Wales & West Utilities. I'll have another go tomorrow as it's frankly exhausting.

Howdens turned up (uninvited) on Monday because they'd looked at the council website and seen that I'm having a new kitchen built. They've been quite pushy and I wasn't impressed. But, they've got a 60% off sale at the mo and they'll design my kitchen even if I don't end up buying from them. So I went and had a look at their showroom. The only kitchen of theirs I like is in white, beige and sage in their catalogue and I want a blue kitchen. Turns out they are doing it in blue as well but it's not advertised in their catalogue as they were considering discontinuing it.

I think they've sold me a kitchen
              Oxfordshire

Comment

I used to use Howden's Nottingham branch. It was a few years ago, but back then as well as the aesthetics side of things they had two distinct types of kitchen unit, you may say 'the economy' and the 'first class'.

The economy was OK but no where near as durable as the more expensive stuff. Back then some 15 years ago the give away was the door thickness, the economy always had 10mm doors where as the others were at least 15mm.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Pots, I've chosen one of their more expensive ranges. Trouble is they don't do recycled glass counters.

My son calls in on me 2x a day through the week (mostly) to check on the builders progress. This mornings comment about my lounge which is currently a bedsit, "Mum, it's getting very cluttered". Eh? I'm living in the lounge, and the basic requirements to feed myself, do my job (I work at home), sleep, and live my life are concentrated in one room from a 3 bed house. What does he expect?
                  Oxfordshire

Comment

Ah but Janie people of our generation can cope! Because we were brought up in a age when folks had to cope with as lot less than the younger generations are used too.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      Ah but Janie people of our generation can cope! Because we were brought up in a age when folks had to cope with as lot less than the younger generations are used too.
                      Don't get me on that subject. People are horrified that I've gone through 2 winters with no heating or hot water. Umm. Until this last 2 generations the whole human race depended on open fires for everything that needed heat.

And when it comes to babies, they really, really don't need all the stuff they regard as essential. Babies need warmth, feeding, and a clean bum. The latest posh crib/pram/car seat?
                      Oxfordshire

Comment

Actually Janie, a car seat is a legal requirement not a fashion item

Comment

^^^^^^^I think what Janie is getting at is they need a car seat not ...............a throne.....

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

OK. Here we go. All the rush to clear the decks was a bit pointless (apart from it did need doing eventually). The manpower to remove the wall between the dining room and the kitchen didn't turn up on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or today and my builder says they aren't answering their phones. Um, do you think said labour force may have a problem with my builder. His problem, not mine.

Added to that, the threshold for my back door was 3 inches lower than the outside path. That path floods in wet weather. Builder said the door would have good seal so the water wouldn't come in. Does he expect me to stay incarcerated in the house until it stops raining, cos if I open the door the water would flood my kitchen! Today he sorted it.

What really annoys me is that he ignores my protests and comments and I have to ask my son to deal with it. I'm paying but my builder is treating me like a dithery old lady and I'm honestly getting fed up with it. I'm not going to do what my late mil did and really pi$$ him off as then I'll end up with him walking off the job.

I've also been persuaded to have a less ornate kitchen. I suppose my kids are right, but they've decided I'd be better off with one that is easier to clean. Fortunately, the one I've now chosen I ummed about anyway, and they do the range cooker I've picked in the same colour. And I've gone for wood block work tops as they will match the flooring.

How's yours going Nicos?
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

Wood block work tops?! I chose those when I lived in London, they truly were a nightmare around the sink area and they had to be oiled once a month.

Comment

Yes I know what you mean. My daughter managed to damage hers 3 weeks after they were installed. I still fancy recycled glass, but the logistics are too complicated. And I don't want laminate. Sometimes you have to compromise.
                                Oxfordshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X