No announcement yet.

New k1tchens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^^^^^^It has been known but it is very, very rare usually when done by a 'not so handyman'. Just make sure they have at least £2 million in third party liability insurance, that way you are covered.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

How is it going Janie?
      Today I shall mostly be playing snowballs with this.....

You pat them on top of each other against the stones working from the floor upwards so you effectively create a 10-15cm thick lining against the inside of the granite stones.
      Very very messy ...and great fun!
      Last edited by Nicos; 06-10-2015, 07:37 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Janie...I found graph paper and cut out pieces to size for the units the easiest way for planning the services.
        Unfortunately I had to get my kitchen before I had the exact measurements of the dimension of the room so I needed to be within about 10 cm either way.
        Not easy when you need plumbing in a 45 cm gap for a dishwasher!!

Ikea cupboards don't have a service flap behind them either, so all the plumbing needed to be behind the plaster board
        Most minor things can be redone at the last minute ....just expect some choice language and sulks!

Comment

Messy jobs, kitchens..................but they are worth it in the end. This time next year you'll have forgotten what the mess was like.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

So true BM....it'll be in my lounge or bedroom then!!!

Comment

You can't put a kitchen in the bedroom, unless you put the mattress on the worktop.................
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Had a very noisy day today. The new front door turned up (at last) and the brickie started putting up the walls for my new kitchen, so I had a drill going on one side of the house and a disc cutter on the other with the dogs barking at the workmen from the dining room where I had to incarcerate them for their own safety!

I hadn't realised how draughty the old door was. The temperature in the lounge has gone up by several degrees and I no longer have a gale force wind round my ankles.

Nor did I realise how fast the kitchen would go up. I'll have to rejig my ideas for one side of it as the doorway has been put a little closer to the new wall than I expected. Probably my fault for not stating that I would need room for a 1000mm cupboard. Ah well. I don't think the brickie's the sharpest knife in the drawer. He asked me to leave the back door unlocked (the lock isn't aligned properly so it doesn't catch unless I turn the key). I thought it was because he needed access to an electric socket, but he wanted to fill his bucket. There's a standpipe outside. I'd left some dishes soaking in some soapy water in a bowl. He emptied it out. I looked at and hope he'd picked it up and taken it outside but no. He'd emptied it down the sink drain which leads outside but is no longer attached to the drains. Ooops!
                "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                Oxfordshire

Comment

Sounds fun Janie!

Quiet day building wise for us.
                  We now have sticky on top of the old floor tiles and some of the new ones are going down tomorrow.
                  We went for the tiles to go down in a diamond, rather than square, layout which means loads more cuts to fit espesh round doorways!
                  Once the sticky went down we had to leave the room so as not to create dust...very frustrating!
                  Might manage to do a bit of painting of beams / windows tomorrow...have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
                    I'll have to rejig my ideas for one side of it as the doorway has been put a little closer to the new wall than I expected. Probably my fault for not stating that I would need room for a 1000mm cupboard. Ah well. I don't think the brickie's the sharpest knife in the drawer.
                    Whoa there Janie, why insult the brickie when you have already said it's your fault ????????
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                      Whoa there Janie, why insult the brickie when you have already said it's your fault ????????
                      I was referring to the fact that he tipped water into a sink with no drain. He's not at fault for where the door is as this was due to the builder boss's instructions.
                      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                      Oxfordshire

Comment

How's it going Janie?
                        I have nearly half the floor tiled.Should be finished by end of play Monday.

The other half where the cooker, sink etc is ( high walk area) is a synthetic , rubberised flooring for a bit of warmth as I like to pad around in bare feet...even in winter!

Comment

The extended part of the kitchen is up. Next week they're pulling down two walls and then putting the roof on. A screed will be put on the floor to ensure it's level. Then the services will be put in the week after next and underfloor heating in the kitchen and dining room.

So I'm looking at kitchen units.
                          Oxfordshire

Comment

Underfloor heating?....oh wow...we'd considered doing that too but very reluctantly decided it just wasn't possible.
                            Nice to hear about your progress Janie.

Comment

I'm going to lose 2 radiators so underfloor heating was the most practical solution.
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

Have you gone for electrical or pipes?
                                We can't compromise the waterproof seal on the floor , so electrical would have been our choice...but by the time the insulation , the cables and flooring we'd have lost too much headroom.
                                The oak beams are so low my OH has to stoop to get underneath them , so another cm or two would have been unfair on him.

* got underfloor heating envy now!!
                                Last edited by Nicos; 11-10-2015, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X