No announcement yet.

How many packets of seeds have you got?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't counted mine, I suspect it's around the hundred mark. But I wanted to show you my filing system.

They are in this 6-drawer cabinet that Mrs H was going to throw out:

I've made 12 cardboard dividers, one for each month. I file the seeds under the month I next have an opportunity to sow them. At the end of the month I go through the seeds from the month just gone and move any that can still be sown.

Here's April to June:

Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I have 132 varieties in my vegetable seed boxes I would guess that represents about 80-100 varieties that will actually be sown.

But that is vegetables ... for my ornamentals it was around 400 sown in 2014 - lots of packets of unusual things with just 5 seeds, or so, mostly "sown" in little zip-lock bags with damp vermiculite to allow for stratification if required and long germination times for some things ...

K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Delighted to know I'm not the only seed nutjob on here. Why, my total of 141 packs is beginning to look almost normal thanks to the excesses of Norfolkgrey, Sparrow100, VC and Kristen!

28 packets, Greenleaves? What self-restraint.

Some of your storage methods are wonderful. MartinH and VC, I was congratulating myself on having got mine marshalled into plastic boxes, but after seeing your classification systems I may have to think again....
        Last edited by Noosner; 04-11-2014, 06:15 PM.
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I've a 'few'!!

I can't count past 50!
          DottyR

Comment

The reason I only have 28 is because I prefer to grow them rather than keep them

Comment

^^^ How conventional,

Comment

I have listed mine in a spreadsheet and it's about 250 but there are gaps between the categories s maybe 20 less.

But that doesn't count all the flowers, or sme other odds and ends that I haven't catalogues yet.

And I know there are some more seeds hiding somewhere.

Are they VHS boxes?

Mine are in ziplock bags by category stuffed into a very cute small suitcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                  The reason I only have 28 is because I prefer to grow them rather than keep them
                  My Dad often takes the mickey because of all my seeds. He manages to keep all his seeds in a china chicken (like in Bread if anyone remembers that programme). But guess who he comes to if he wants seeds? especially something that he fancies trying for a change

Comment

Just actually counted, can't believe it ! 117, and more to be ordered!
                    DottyR

Comment

On Gardeners World this week, Monty said we should ruthlessly go through our seeds and throw away any that are more than 2 years old.

Do any of you actually do this? I don't!
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

He must have shares in a seed company

Comment

If I had Montys fortunes I would consider it

Comment

Why? To make more money for seed companies by buying fresh every 2 years? Maybe you don't get 100% germination with old seed, but you allow for that, and if 100 seeds gives you even 50 plants, it's better value than binning them.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

It's a circle, isn't it? You've got seed left 'cos you didn't plant it all within 2 years. So you chuck it, buy a new packet, use the same amount again, and surprise, you've seed left over again, so you chuck it and buy a new packet....

I can see that if you're running a commercial enterprise you maybe wouldn't want to waste time (and therefore money) by having to re-sow non-germinators, but for the run-of-the-mill gardener, having to re-sow a few seeds and being a couple of weeks behind is hardly a boom or bust situation.
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

H
                                Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                                On Gardeners World this week, Monty said we should ruthlessly go through our seeds and throw away any that are more than 2 years old.

Do any of you actually do this? I don't!
                                Oh no! What a mad idea.

I will make a note of seed expiry date and germinatin success next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X