How many packets of seeds have you got?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
    I use my gardening knife to cut straight across the width of the front of the packet, leaving the back intact. This means I can get the foil envelope in and out and still read everything on the packet.
    That sounds ideal Am I understanding correctly that you just cut through one of the two layers of the packet - i.e. just the front and not the back? If so I'm flummoxed with trying to work out how you manage to not cut through the back as well?
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      That sounds ideal Am I understanding correctly that you just cut through one of the two layers of the packet - i.e. just the front and not the back? If so I'm flummoxed with trying to work out how you manage to not cut through the back as well?
      use sewing device called an un-picker it's a small colored bit of plastic with a cutter on it,a safer sort of scalpal,enter the pointy bit in the 1 layer,and carefully slide it along the top crease,when done you can bend the top over and put a clip on it,
      Last edited by lottie dolly; 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
        use sewing device called an un-picker it's a small colored bit of plastic with a cutter on it
        Ah! I know the thing, thanks ...

enter the pointy bit in the 1 layer,and carefully slide it along the top crease
        ... perfect! What a cracking idea. I reckon I could slice the packet straight across the middle, and fish the foil packet out (I find if I fold tops over / etc. they get caught up with other packets in the box).

For a packet with loose seeds I'll have to do the fold-over thing.

Something to try next year, thanks.

P.S. I might try a safety knife - slide the point in between the layers and then cut just the top layer

Comment

Once the foil packet is opened, I put it in a little ziplock bag, to keep the seeds airtight. OR, if I've finished with the seeds until next year, I sellotape it closed.

Comment

Wow, that is a great idea about using the seam unpicker, lottidolly. Thankyou for the pic, Kristen. I have got several of those! The great thing of course is that it doesn't matter where on the packet you slice it because the edges of the slice don't get damaged so everything will still be readable. I am now wondering about a diagonal slice as it would preserve the strength of the packet more than a horizontal or vertical slice.
            My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I have often done it,at the highest point of the seed pkt,here is another one for you all,when you have slit the pkt open,slide a ready marked label into it,this will keep your fingers occupied during the leaner times,then when you come to sow the seed,you only gota tip it and the UNOPENED foil pkt out,saves time and bother when you in seed sowing frenzie,
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
                I am now wondering about a diagonal slice as it would preserve the strength of the packet more than a horizontal or vertical slice.
                I think I'll raise the merits of that over Sunday lunch with some non-gardening mates of mine and see what they think
                Last edited by Kristen; 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                  My new years res. (last year) was I could only swap seed
                  That was mine as well! I only forked out for runner beans seeds this year and that was because the OH chucked my drying beans in my compost bin. Everything else I grew this year was swapped or self saved.

I will try my best again for next year but I have already bought in some new garlic, hoping that's a good investment.

As for seed packet count, I don't bother...I've a few boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    I make a little nick with the point of my knife - this might go through both sides - then slide the point into the packet throught the nick and extend the cut to the edge of the packet.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I just open them the same as you would envelopes by slipping something, usually a plastic plant label, under the sticky down flap, sliding it along and it slices neatly along the top of the packet on the fold. No info lost and packet intact. No problems or difficulties either.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My seedpsycharitris said I must be honest if I am to beat my addiction so here goes......
                        1 or 2!
                        Oh no he will be chasing me with a big butterfly net again - will it help if I say dozen?
                        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I have 4 15 litre boxes full, most are self saved varieties but there are probable 200 packets as well. I gave away a good chunk last year to a couple of worthy causes.

Comment

My mag arrived today so my seed total has gone up to 97 now Haven't told the OH how many I have got. Amazing how small you can roll up a packet of seeds to make it look as if you don't have that many
                            sigpic

Comment

105 (including yesterday's in mag) at a quick count. That doesn't include saved seeds and things like corms, roots and other non-seed types of planting or seed packets that are floating around in strange places instead of being put in the tin.

Mineju, a lot of them are because I haven't been able to grow anything this year except some herbs and salad stuff on windowsills.
                              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

Good grief!!!!! That is organisation indeed
                                Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X