This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    I can't believe you are asking what is and is not acceptable behaviour.
    I wasn't . . . guidance posted by someone who no longer seems to be a Mod was linked to, I simply asked what was meant as many of the terms used in it were subjective.

The word contentious was used, isn't the subject of all discussions (arguments) based on contentious issues ? otherwise there would be no need for the discussion in the first place.
    My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by RaptorUK View Post
      I wasn't . . . guidance posted by someone who no longer seems to be a Mod was linked to, I simply asked what was meant as many of the terms used in it were subjective.

The word contentious was used, isn't the subject of all discussions (arguments) based on contentious issues ? otherwise there would be no need for the discussion in the first place.
      We don't rewrite the T&Cs everytime there is a change of Moderator

If you read on down the T&Cs to http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post586288 -

13. You agree to use growfruitandveg.co.uk communities (including message boards) in accordance with the following Community Rules. These apply across all growfruitandveg.co.uk community sites and services. You should, however, read the local house rules of the particular site or service you're using, as there may be some local variations to these Community Rules.

(i) About your posts:

Contributions must be civil and tasteful.

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

No unlawful or objectionable content: unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.

There is more of course but I hope this clarifies what is and is not acceptable behaviour here.
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-06-2014, 10:47 PM. Reason: pyto

Comment

Boing! Said Zebedee, time for bed.......tomorrow's another day

Comment

Goodnight Greenleaves.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

T&C are actually just a reflection of a common decency towards our fellow members about how we all expect to be treated....anything outside that is in reality an abuse of a situation.

We all have slightly different interpretations of perimeters of what is acceptable behaviour...but the core limits must surely be much the same?
            We are multicultural here...what is acceptable in one society isn't in another....but the common aim here is to help and support each other with our gardening skills...and we must never lose track of that...even when sharing the same piece of advice for the 100 th time!

Tolerance and helpfulness are the keystones of the Vine.....or did I get the wrong end of the stick nearly 9 years ago when I first joined?
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Without wishing to offend BM, If you only find 1% of posts irkesome then I suggest things are tickety boo. Social interaction with a gazillion other humans on a forum is not going to be utopia for anyone. The fact that only 1% you find issue with suggests to me the forum is all it should be.

I found it quite odd that Mary Whitehouse complained about what was on TV persistantly when I found it much easier just to skip the stuff I didnt want to watch. After all, we are all sentient beings with the ability to choose what we read. To be honest some of the chat is interesting, some is banal, some is boring and some is funny. I dont read it all, only what interests and doesnt vex me.

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              On the whole, the vine is a brilliant forum & most likely one of the most popular if not thee most popular forum amongst GYOers. I have no problem with 99% of the threads/posts. It's the 1% that spoils the vine & needs weeding out (forgive the pun).........maybe a sinbin rather than an outright ban.
              Last edited by pigletwillie; 22-06-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

If self moderating worked Nicos, there would be no need for moderators

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Strange thing is that some subjects which irritate some peeps can really , really annoy others , and yet can then really , really anger other grapes....
                Modding really isn't that simple when trying to be diplomatic *sigh

Can self moderating be soooo difficult??

Teamwork please peeps eh????

Comment

I,for one, would be very sad it the chat thread went. Usually if I don't like something, I don't read it. Some people have more to say for themselves than others - I think if people try to behave as if the person was in front of them, face to face, they would better considerate what they write. But, I love it here!

Comment

This is a lovely forum; there seems to be relatively little 'nastiness' - probably because of the hard work of the Mods and yes there is a lot of stuff that I don't read because it doesn't really interest me or apply to me - hens, bees, flowers etc as well as some of the chit-chat stuff. But equally, this place is like a real-life soap opera sometimes ... it is really interesting to find out the minutiae of other people's lives. Does that make me 'sad'? Maybe, but it obviously interests other people too. And sometimes you have to share, just to lighten your own load or to spread the joy around!

As many other people have said before "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Please.

Comment

The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of people who just love chatting and if that avenue is removed they will chat within all the other threads making the work of the mods even more difficult.
                      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                        I think there are some good points being made on this thread BM. Thank you for starting it.
                        I personally think we need a few more MODs on the case - we have lost quite a few of our old experienced vine MODS and I am sure the ones who are currently MODding have got a lot on their plates as there are several topics raised recently which make a lot of people see red. That and fighting off spammers and such like.
                        Are you volunteering Jeanie ?
                        Any nominations in mind ?
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I suppose it all comes down to the fact that the chat is the lubricant which greases the vines wheels. Without it gardening can become very dry and rather repetetive. With all the best will in the world, discussing the 46th variation of planting a carrot for the 28th time can become rather tedious without any diversions.

People are people with different opinions and standards, getting het up over threads on a forum is a very first world problem and really isnt worth the chest pains.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                            I think there are some good points being made on this thread BM. Thank you for starting it.
                            I personally think we need a few more MODs on the case - we have lost quite a few of our old experienced vine MODS
                            Tis a strange place being a mod, you have the sword of Damacles hovering over you all the time and cohesion between you all is a must. There is no room for egos or those who want the percieved power of moderation. The likes of SARZ are hard to find.
                            Last edited by pigletwillie; 22-06-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                              There is no room for egos or those who want the percieved power of moderation. The likes of SARZ are hard to find.
                              And it is that kind of comment that is not helpful. We should be supporting the present Mods not living in the past.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

The fact we have all had this long & fruitfull discussion in a chat thread goes some way towards proving the need for it I think

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X