X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Asked?? It was an order............
    Hahahahahaha! Only if you took it that way, Hon!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I did....................

Comment

I did....................
        Well, that just goes to prove what we always say; What one person reads, isn't always what the writer intended.

Comment

Wondering whether to add a comment or keep quiet, have read through these posts, and so many good points have been made.

On balance I think we should keep the 'Chat' thread, it obviously serves purpose or it wouldn't be used. It offers the opportunity to gain support and advice, when someone may have no where else to turn to, it can also be fun and lighthearted banter is fun.

But when it turns nasty and personal, and people are getting upset and feel got at, then that is unacceptable, and these posts need to shut down before reaching that point, and I'm sure the Mods do their best to do this. Maybe more people should be banned if they persist, or not allowed to post for a few weeks?

Perhaps the 'friends' group could be used more as a 'supportive' network if someone is feeling they found do with some support, or someone to talk to? Just a thought.

Not everyone uses or likes the 'Chat' , thread, and that's fine, but would be shame to remove it completely, maybe a tidy up would work.

As VC says people join the Vine in the first place for gardening help and support, the Chat is an extra, if you want it.
          Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 21-06-2014, 05:42 PM.
          DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            Well, that just goes to prove what we always say; What one person reads, isn't always what the writer intended.
            I think any PM headed

"Open the ruddy thread, Woman! !

would be taken as an order.

Comment

I think any PM headed

"Open the ruddy thread, Woman! !

would be taken as an order.
              Without the stoopid big grin maybe! But, it's all down to personal interpretation, and an understanding of the writer's sense of humour. Anyone who knows me, in any context, will certainly know if I intend to offend, and it's something I rarely do. Generally, I walk away, lips sealed, and seethe quietly, rather than risk the wrong interpretation of my words. Anyway, I have apologised, and I repeat, no offence was intended, I guess I just misjudged your sense of humour, and your understanding of mine.

Comment

The thread was clearly closed and with Admin - there was absolutely no point you asking me to re-open it - and no, I didn't find it funny.

Comment

Anyway - the chat thread is not generally where the hornets nests get stirred up.
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

You may think its meaningless but these are the T&Cs that we're all expected to adhere to
                    Have a read of the rest of the T&Cs too - its always good to have a refresher of what we've signed up to when we joined the Forum
                    How can users adhere to rules that are not defined ? it leaves them open to interpretation and as such unenforceable in a fair and equitable way.

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post

I think most of us here are able to discern what is appropriate for the forum or not.
                    Meaning that each user will apply their own discretion and the rules will mean different things to each user, this is not what rules are meant to be. They must mean the same to all users so that they can be applied equally and fairly to all users.
                    My allotment in pictures

Comment

Would you like them enshrined in an Act of Parliament Raptor?

Comment

I evidently missed the posts that inspired BM to start this thread, but I certainly like the general chat area of the forum, especially through the winter when there is really not much happening garden-wise. If I read a post or thread I don't like, or that strikes hard against my own beliefs, I simply don't go back there.

It's a funny thing, you know, but it takes two to quarrel, and if one won't, the other can't....
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by RaptorUK View Post
                          Meaning that each user will apply their own discretion and the rules will mean different things to each user, this is not what rules are meant to be. They must mean the same to all users so that they can be applied equally and fairly to all users.
                          Errr no!

I did expand on that on the next sentence of my quote, and I believe you have taken my comment totally out of context. I am fairly certain that you understood my original meaning and would be happy to try clarify if not, but am not willing to be drawn into anything I feel is unproductive.

I think it reasonable to apply vaguearies (is that a word?) to the rules and lay things open to reasonable interpretation, as not every circumstance can be covered (the rule list would be bigger than the rest of the forum), and which is why our moderators are entrusted to .... well .... moderate As for the rest of us, well lets not make life any harder than it needs to be for the mod's. They do a cracking job of keeping things in order for our enjoyment of the forum, and us remaining civil and amiable is us doing our bit to help them out.

I'm a little disapointed to see that a discussion aimed at avoiding bad feelings is at risk of itself getting rather tetchy and potentially personal. Can we all take a deep breath before we end up dissolving into what we are actually trying to avoid please. Thank you

Comment

I personally have no view either way. I choose which threads I read and contribute across the board (hopefully).

I think the vine is a wonderful forum and I cant think of one grape that I deliberately ignore as everyone is generally very helpful. I think the mods do their best to keep order and admire them for doing it.

I enjoy the humour of some and not others but I could say that about people I physically know. Yes some people sail close to the wind and from time to time need telling.

Comment

On the whole, the vine is a brilliant forum & most likely one of the most popular if not thee most popular forum amongst GYOers. I have no problem with 99% of the threads/posts. It's the 1% that spoils the vine & needs weeding out (forgive the pun).........maybe a sinbin rather than an outright ban.
                              Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-06-2014, 07:07 PM.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post

Well said In fact so well said I have bookmarked this post
                                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X