No announcement yet.

What would you say?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose he could just be following the growers planting instructions, if its a spring planting garlic such as Solent Wight or Lautrec Wight he is just at the end of the correct planting time.

Colin.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

And - we don't know when this incident occurred - or how long Piskie has been pondering on whether or not to say something, do we?

Comment

I ask what people are doing with their plot, what they are planning to grow, how they are getting on, they ask me what I am going to grow / am growing.
        Didn't have the heart to tell one guy the other day that leaving his potatoes outside without planting wasn't a good idea.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          I suppose he could just be following the growers planting instructions, if its a spring planting garlic such as Solent Wight or Lautrec Wight he is just at the end of the correct planting time.

Colin.
          I've never known anyone who plants garlic in March and gets a good crop...December is really the latest for any decent garlic harvest. But anyway...

Comment

Zazen there would seem to be some difference being made now between Autumn planting garlic, according to the growers best planted between Sept/Dec and Spring planting garlic best planted between Jan/March. A new gardener if following the growers advice would see nothing wrong in what he/she was doing as he would be following their advice without the experience to make a different decision.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Zazen there would seem to be some difference being made now between Autumn planting garlic, according to the growers best planted between Sept/Dec and Spring planting garlic best planted between Jan/March. A new gardener if following the growers advice would see nothing wrong in what he/she was doing as he would be following their advice without the experience to make a different decision.

Colin
              I agree. I planted some Garlic late October. It's up and running now but there was a period when I thought it was going to be be a no show so just to cover my a** I planted some 'spring' planting' garlic at the beginning of this month. Don't know what to expect but it's a live and learn process.

Comment

Colin
                Aye - but I don't know anyone who plants garlic in March and gets good results.

If a newbie says 'when do I plant garlic', then 'before December' is my response. If I explained your way they would look at me and say 'so when do I plant garlic' and I'd say 'before December'. Then once they have grow it and tried it themselves they can buy different varieties and try planting it later and seeing what they get. I teach this stuff every day and people just want to know timings that give them the best start. If I said 'look at the label' and they planted it in March and didn't get a good result then they would say 'why' and I'd say 'it needs to go in before December because it needs 6 months, I've done trials, I know this, and it needs the winter weather' they would ask why I hadn't just said 'get it in early'. If it is March and they ask then I'd say 'see if you can get a late variety and you might get a good crop but I've always found getting it in before December gives the best result'.

But if planting garlic in nearly April works for you then great.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  So what did he say when you told him?
                  Thankfully, I didn't tell him!!

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                  Oh dear. It's not even the season for garlic - he's months too late. Shall I come over and run that course for you Pisk?
                  erm, I've just planted garlic, if it's too late why is it still available? I shall ensure I wear my glasses and not see 'garlic' where I see 'white onions'
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    Aye - but I don't know anyone who plants garlic in March and gets good results.
                    I would never normally plant this late, but as the plots were not available and I'd planned to have a year off from veg - March planting it was for me. It'll be interesting to see if I pull up slightly swollen 'spring onions'
                    Last edited by piskieinboots; 29-03-2012, 07:02 AM.
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

I planted 4 cloves that I found had sprouted the other day they went in a flower bucket that I forgot to empty from last year, so nothing lost if they don't grow.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                        Thankfully, I didn't tell him!!
                        I suppose that's one very good reason not to offer "advice" - in case you've got it wrong!!

Comment

Alys plants garlic in February/March in order to have wet garlic! Alys Fowler: Green garlic | Life and style | The Guardian

Comment

Wet garlic - as opposed to dry garlic?? Would that be like the slightly swollen 'spring onions' I mentioned above?
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Yes, before it forms clove - you eat it whole. See the article for more info. It often features in veg boxes so quite a few ideas for using it out there.

Comment

I've used 'wet garlic' before (from a veg box).... I've cooked it in stir fries, risottos, stuck it in curries/spag bol/chilli etc, put it raw in salads (in small amounts) even!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X