What would you say?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
    I shall ensure I wear my glasses and not see 'garlic' where I see 'white onions'
    Easy mistake to make Pisk........
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Zazen I have no doubt about what you say and if I actually grew garlic I would follow your advice.

The point I was trying to make is that there is now a type of garlic on the market and the growers who produce it for the public i.e. Dobies, Marshalls and Suttons etc give these planting times. Not me so please don't shoot the messenger.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Alys plants garlic in February/March in order to have wet garlic! Alys Fowler: Green garlic | Life and style | The Guardian
        But it's not usually wet garlic people are expecting when they dig up their plants

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
        Zazen I have no doubt about what you say and if I actually grew garlic I would follow your advice.

The point I was trying to make is that there is now a type of garlic on the market and the growers who produce it for the public i.e. Dobies, Marshalls and Suttons etc give these planting times. Not me so please don't shoot the messenger.

Colin
        Aye I appreciate that - but the question was 'what would YOU say' and that's what I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          But it's not usually wet garlic people are expecting when they dig up their plants
          But this person could, just could, have been deliberately planting them because they wanted wet garlic.
          TBH I prefer wet garlic to the cloves because it does away with the faff of peeling the cloves.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            But this person could, just could, have been deliberately planting them because they wanted wet garlic.
            TBH I prefer wet garlic to the cloves because it does away with the faff of peeling the cloves.
            Hence my original question which was 'what did they do?' rather than deciding what I would say before I knew what they had done. I don't ever tell people how to do things unless they ask...or get into a conversation and mention things...

Comment

Exactly, Zaz. It was an inexact little poser to start with, bit like asking how long is a piece of string.
              Too many variables lead to too many options. Ohoh, I'm talking a load of old compost again - STOP

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                If you saw a 'new' gardener making a mistake that would almost certainly end if a bad/no crop?

Would you 'advise' or would you keep ya trunk out and wait for the inevitable and potentially have a new gardener think they are no cut out for this?
                I wouldn't know they'd made a mistake

If I put myself in the position of an experienced gardener for a moment... I'd keep my cake-hole shut. Too many times I've freely given sound advice, only for it to be ignored. These people usually go and learn the way I did, then come back and try telling me what I had already been trying to tell them... 'tis a funny old world.

I must admit, I'm not keen on people trying to tell me things either. I guess if advice is wanted it should be asked for and if it's not asked for, then it shouldn't be given. But then it depends on the individual, we all respond differently.

I'd still keep my cake-hole shut.
                Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

Aye I appreciate that - but the question was 'what would YOU say' and that's what I would say.
                  I reckon you could plant garlic in ANY month of the year and still get a crop of sorts!

Mine was planted in October in large pots and is still in the greenhouse looking good!
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-03-2016, 12:23 AM.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What's wet garlic?

Ok don't answer that I've read the rest of the thread. At least with my second planting I should get something.

I've always been told that garlic needs frost. But Alys Fowler says 2 months below 10 degrees...still a possibility I hasten to add...I just heard Carol say widespread frost on Sunday morning.
                    Last edited by donnakebab; 30-03-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X