What would you say?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
    Id say with a nasal tone 'You dont want to do it like that, you want to do it like this!'
    but that's how you say everything

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I think it's important to remember that if you offer advise to somebody who hasn't asked your opinion then it's hardly surprising that you get ignored a fair amount of the time as to the advisor it's well meaning help but to the person who's in receipt of the advice it's some annoying person sticking their nose in like that old bloke in the Harry Enfield sketch from years back
      Yups but planting onions sets upside down is pretty basic if not plain stupid.

Comment

There's a 'newbie' family on the plot next to me, though this is their second season. The plot is overgrown with various weeds as it was last year. I didn't see much of them last year and haven't seen them at all this year and considering we've had such a lovely weekend I did think it might inspire them to get stuck in.

Last year I advised them to cover any area that they cleared of weeds until they were ready to plant. I also advised them to put some nutrition back in to the soil because they plot hadn't been worked for a few years. They planted potatoes, a couple of spindly tomatoes, a courgette, cucumber and a pepper. They didn't earth up or even water. I watered for them while they swanned off to France for about 6 weeks.I think he's a school headmaster or something. Haven't seen them since so that was about June last year. I was surprised when I found out that they paid the rent again back in October.

I don't think I'll be giving any advice unless they ask...if I see them at all!

There are still 2 people on our waiting list. I think the plots should be turned around more quickly when a tenant fails to make any difference to a plot in that amount of time.

Comment

On here, it's easier to give advice when its not wanted Personal feelings and relationships don't come into it so much online, as face to face.

My poor neighbour, who keeps rotavating his couch grass: every time it pops up, he rotavates again. I did, diplomatically, say things like "oh, I had loads of that, I had to dig it all out" and "don't ever chop it up or you'll get more plants".
          I have even offered to help him dig it out one bit at a time

My other neighbour is forever hoeing, probably 6 hrs a day: he likes a lot of bare earth. His paths are always weedy, always blowing seeds across to mine. Probably he thinks my plot is weedy too (they're green manures, not weeds)

I don't say anything. I've learned (painfully) over the years that (a lot of) men don't like being given advice from small gobby women. They're men!
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-03-2012, 08:36 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh, come on, Pisk! Whatdidhedo?? Whatdidhedo????!!!!
            ...and before all you chaps leap on me (go on - I dare ya! ) for assuming the person in question is male, I'm pretty sure Piskie said she was the only girl "in the village".
            When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I don't say anything. I've learned (painfully) over the years that (a lot of) men don't like being given advice from small gobby women. They're men!

Ermmmmmmmmmm,I for one listen & respond to advise given from any source male or female,in fact I have just looked ALL my reference books & without exception they are FEMALE authors.
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                They didn't earth up or even water. I watered for them while they swanned off to France for about 6 weeks.
                I don't earth up or water my outdoor crops when they're up and running and would acutally be quite annoyed if somebody else did on my behalf if I'd not asked them to do so in advance.

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                There are still 2 people on our waiting list. I think the plots should be turned around more quickly when a tenant fails to make any difference to a plot in that amount of time.
                I'd agree about plot turn around, there are two plots on our site which have never really been cultivated in the whole time I've been there and another one which has been empty a year since the previous plot holder had to give it up due to poor health.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

sometimes it's better not to get involved unless asked .... people will learn from their mistakes ....
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                    Oh, come on, Pisk! Whatdidhedo?? Whatdidhedo????!!!!
                    Flippin heck - will we EVER find out.

C'mon - spill!

Comment

I think I'd say (in a tactful and diplomatic tone) - "Mmm, I thought about doing it like that when I first started, but an experienced grower told me the best way to do it"
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment" --T. H. White
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

As a new gardener, i would appreciate someone telling me i was doing it wrong and telling me how to do it right xx

Comment

erm, oops - I'm ashamed to say I forgot this post and even more ashamed to say I got it wrong!!

I thought the chap in question was planting garlic 'high' but it wasn't it was onions - and I really should wear my glasses!!
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

So what did he say when you told him?

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                                erm, oops - I'm ashamed to say I forgot this post and even more ashamed to say I got it wrong!!

I thought the chap in question was planting garlic 'high' but it wasn't it was onions - and I really should wear my glasses!!
                                Oh dear. It's not even the season for garlic - he's months too late. Shall I come over and run that course for you Pisk?
                                Last edited by zazen999; 28-03-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X