No announcement yet.

Oh, for a book....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I didn't re-read old books, I'd be up the creek! I already spend far too much on books as it is I can easily get through a novel in a day or two, so it's lucky I have a) Other stuff to do, b) A massive collection of old favourites, and c) Lit courses that I have to buy new books for ...

The next course is on children's lit so I have to read things like Swallows & Amazons, Treasure Island and Little Women, along with more modern titles like Junk (gritty look at teenage drug addictions), Coram Boy (historical look at the trade in children and unwanted babies) and of course Harry Potter and Northern Lights.

Comment

Passed on The Room to my daughter on Monday. She finished it yesterday and believe me that is fast for her. She couldn't put it down either. I love reading children's books Sarz and I read for the first time, or re-read most of the classics a few years ago.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I have read all my children (except my 8 year old, but will do when she's 9) The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe - its my favourite children's book, full stop.

Comment

I can't read books (unless they're instructions/factual ones that I need to read). I just loose interest. I've recently bought the final two books from the expert range though, that I didn't have and have read through the fruit expert one the night before last.

That said, when I was yonger I did love to read. I remember reading a book called 'Where the red fern grows' - I'm going to buy it for my daughter when she's a bit older, despite being a kids book it was very gripping - I even shed a tear at the end of it!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            If I didn't re-read old books, I'd be up the creek! I already spend far too much on books as it is I can easily get through a novel in a day or two, so it's lucky I have a) Other stuff to do, b) A massive collection of old favourites, and c) Lit courses that I have to buy new books for ...

The next course is on children's lit so I have to read things like Swallows & Amazons, Treasure Island and Little Women, along with more modern titles like Junk (gritty look at teenage drug addictions), Coram Boy (historical look at the trade in children and unwanted babies) and of course Harry Potter and Northern Lights.
            That course sounds wonderful! *having* to re-read your childhood favourites, proper heaven, that!

I do re-read a lot too. I think, if a book is good enough, you get much more from a second or third or fourth reading. I have read my Austens a lot; at first it was all romancey but read them again and she becomes a feminist, a post-modernist (before post-modernism was invented) and a comedian. Great stuff!

I am currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Always been on my get-around-to-it list (loved Neverwhere and Stardust) so when I saw it in a charity shop for 50p I had to try it. I am LOVING it so far - it is so creative and unusual. Have to finish it before I can discuss it though.

Comment

Finished all 3 'The Girl' books 2 nights ago. What a great read.

Pity he died so soon, he had 10 books planned and had half written the 4th in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                I have read all my children (except my 8 year old, but will do when she's 9) The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe - its my favourite children's book, full stop.
                That's another one we share Thea, my daughter bought me the boxed set of LWW books for Christmas about 5 years ago. She knows me so well.

Comment

Finished "The Help", good story and I got over the dialect thing a couple of chapters in. Highly recommend.

Comment

Has anyone read any Jo Nesbo books? He is supposed to be the new Steig Larsson. I have The Redbreast in the holiday suitcase and hoping it will turn out ok.

Comment

• So far, from the set-book list, I've read: Treasure Island, Coram Boy, Swallows and Amazons, Tom's Midnight Garden, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and Junk. I've already read Little Women, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Northern Lights before, but I'll probably re-read them before the course starts.

If you've ever read and liked The Color Purple, I'd recommend Roll of Thunder... by Mildred D. Taylor. Not sure I'll be passing it to my 10 year old daughter to read for a while yet though, it's a teenage read I think.

Comment

• Read some Jo Nesbo books, not that impressed with them, they were ok, but no stig larsson.
                        Off to shop tomorrow to buy latest installment of George RR Martin series.

Comment

• Will take a look at Roll of Thunder, might be suitable for my granddaughter (the teenage reader) after I've read it of course! Thanks Sarz. Did you enjoy Treasure Island?

Comment

• On holiday I read:

Room by Emma Donoghue and thought it wonderful, I read it in a day and shall be passing it on for others to enjoy.

When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman, which I also enjoyed. A light read but also interested.

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. I didn't enjoy this as much. I didn't like any of the characters and the message throughout was that marriages either end and/or when you have been married for a while you will cheat on your partner and/or be very unhappy.

I am still reading The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo and agree with Taff, so far it seems to not be comparable to Steig Larsson. But we shall see...

Comment

• R F Delderfield 'A Horseman Riding By' trilogy - brilliant portrayal of Edwardian England. 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' - Thomas Hardy. Oh, and I'm currently going throught the Harry potter series! I like to spread my reading.

Zebedee
                              "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

• Currently reading 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger - (author of Time Travellers Wife) - so far so good, although its a bit slow in places. (Supposed to be a ghost story)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X