Oh, for a book....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    Cloud Atlas is another book I just couldn't get into. Must try harder.

Comment

A friend has been telling me for ages to read Cloud Atlas, so might take on hols (although Room has just arrived and is going straight in the case); and I've just bought The Book Thief for my big sis as I liked the look of it.

Also started Walden by Henry David Thoreau (Bob, this might possibly interest you) - totally different to anything I've read, but certainly thought provoking. Walden: Or, Life in the Woods (Dover Thrift): Amazon.co.uk: Henry David Thoreau: Books
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Depends on what you like but Terry Wogans Autobiography 'Mustn't Grumble' is really good and funny as well (especially his Janet and John stories which appear hither and thither throughout).

I'm not usually into autobiographies but OH had this one and I read it one day becaue he'd nearly passed out with laughing when he was reading it which made me curious.

Reet
        x

Comment

Himself only reads autobiographies, sporting mostly, although he has got some celeb ones (he's read Jeremy Beadle about 3 times, so there must be something funny in that). He's read all the Dick Francis books, but then gave up fiction altogether. I use reading as escapism, so I do like a good story.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
            A friend has been telling me for ages to read Cloud Atlas, so might take on hols (although Room has just arrived and is going straight in the case); and I've just bought The Book Thief for my big sis as I liked the look of it.
            The Book Thief was really good, I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
              Also started Walden by Henry David Thoreau (Bob, this might possibly interest you) - totally different to anything I've read, but certainly thought provoking. Walden: Or, Life in the Woods (Dover Thrift): Amazon.co.uk: Henry David Thoreau: Books
              Just read some of the blurbs about that book Rhona, certainly looks different. Popped it into my Amazon basket, hopefully it will arrive before I go back to work.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi_Soph View Post

I also recently read and loved The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. An abandoned stately house soaked in the mysteries of the past; dark fairy tales; isolated, are-they-evil twins and, entwined all through it, a devotion to the escapism of reading - what's not to like? On its own it is a cracking gothic-mystery type read but if you have read the Austens and Brontes and Collins and the like it is also so rich and lovely.

The Thirteenth Tale: Amazon.co.uk: Diane Setterfield: Books
                Love the 13th Tale, its one of my favourite contemporary fiction books!!

So are we doing a book club on here or not? Was there a decision?

Comment

I'm certainly up for it Thea, we need to know how many people would be interested and "borrow" a book list so we can vote.

Comment

My other half and I and others I know really enjoyed reading this: Mister Pip: Amazon.co.uk: Lloyd Jones: Books

Also the follow-up to Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon is A Spot of Bother: A Spot of Bother: Amazon.co.uk: Mark Haddon: Books is meant to be very good (I think it must be funny as my husband didnt stop laughing out loud at random moments - usually on a full train)

I'm enjoying The State of Me by Nasim Marie Jafry: The State of Me: Amazon.co.uk: Nasim Marie Jafry: Books

Comment

I've just finished reading 'Out of Africa'

What a wonderful description of Kenya/Africa almost 100 years ago. I'll certainly be rereading that book!

ps- hardly a mention of 'Robert Redford' either...I was MOST disappointed!!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Ok, on recommendation just ordered:

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
                        The Help, Kathryn Stockett
                        Room, Emma Donoghue

Will let you know!

Comment

Hi All

Some great books mentioned so far....one of my favourites is Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

Comment

If any of you male sporty men want a good read, Himself recommends Start the Car, The World According to Bumble, David Lloyd.
                            Last edited by Florence Fennel; 24-06-2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

If you like historical thrillers try Barbara Erskine's books. If I'm looking for a certain book or type of book I go to Amazon. I've just bought six at one p. each + p.& p.

Comment

The problem with recommending books is we all have different tastes/reasons for reading. I am nother 'escapist' reader, so the further it is from 'real life' the better I tend to like it, hence PERN (and other McCaffery), Pratchett, Larry Niven, Tom Holt, and others, but I also enjoy detective stories (if well written, and when I'm in the mood for it) so Dick Francis, Ngaio Marsh, etc. I certainly don't read much non-fiction except as reference.
                                I have occasionally read a book the critics loved, and never found any of them very interesting, so now the more a book is pushed in that way the surer I am to avoid it (hence the 'the girl who...' trilogy will NOT be on my reading list).
                                Before you can recommend books to someone, you need to know which books appeal to both of you.....
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X