Oh, for a book....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by endymion View Post
    I'm not a very 'girlie' book lover. I've enjoyed Susanna Gregory's 'Matthew Bartholomew' series, based in mediaeval Cambridge, Peter Tremayne's 'Sister Fidelma' mysteries, based in 7th century Ireland and Patrick O'Brien's books. And loads of others too, but it would take too long to list them all.
    Add Candace Robb's Archer, bishops spy series to that and it could be my list. I also love fantasy like Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, Jasper Fford's very weird Thursday Next series and everything Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
      Read them twice Bren, very good read, as are all the Harry Potter books!
      That's quite spooky, Flo. The Narnia books are old childhood friends that I still like to revisit every now and then - I'm looking forward to reading them to my grandchildren - and the Harry Potter books are ones that I have dipped into on several occasions. Am currently re-reading The Deathly Hallows in preparation for part two of the film release.
      Some interesting suggestions there everyone - thanks very much! I like Historical novels and have read and enjoyed all the Cadfael books, so there are one or two titles in that genre that attract. And funnily enough the last time I was in a book shop my hand hovered long and lingeringly over The Help". Will probably try this too. Might give you my critique of it after - we can all compare notes!
      When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

For humour, a book I go back to time after time is Saki's short stories. They are rather old-fashioned in a Jeeves and Wooster sort of way, but wickedly funny, particularly "Esme" and "The Brogue". Tom Holt is funny too, a bit like Terry Pratchett but darker.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

I am reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Seebold - pretty good so far.
          I have read so far this year: The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (3/5)The Night Watch: Amazon.co.uk: Sarah Waters: Books

Rebecca By Du Maurier (4/5)
          Wide Sagasso Sea by Jean Rhys (3/5)Wide Sargasso Sea (Penguin Modern Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Jean Rhys: Books
          Gilead by Marilynne Robinson* (2/5)

NB *Marilynne Robinson's Book Housekeeping is one of my favourite books of all time. Housekeeping: Amazon.co.uk: Marilynne Robinson: Books
          I loved the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I like lots of different genres.
          Everyone's taste is different
          Last edited by northepaul; 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Most of my reading is on the bus and consists of gardening books. I am currently reading The Curious Gardener by Anna Pavord and A Cook's Tour by Anthony Boudin, both are good so far. However, I recommend Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I have spare copies to give away from World Book Day), The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same chap. Carol Klein's Life in a Cottage Garden. I've had The Labrynith by Kate Mosse recommended to me a few times and though I own a copy, I've never got round to reading it.

I read the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Book 1 is very much an introduction and books 2 and 3 is the same story developed. They get quite complex, but very enjoyable. I am currently watching the Swedish films of the books and, though good, not a patch on the books.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
              I am reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Seebold - pretty good so far.
              I have read so far this year: The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (3/5)The Night Watch: Amazon.co.uk: Sarah Waters: Books

Rebecca By Du Maurier (4/5)
              Ah, one of my very OLDEST friends!!! "Last night I dreamed I went to Manderly again....." I first read that when I was about fifteen and was hooked from that very first sentence. I LOVED the BBC series staring Joanna David as the second Mrs De Winter, Anna Massey as Mrs Danvers and Jeremy Brett as Max. I always keep an eye out for it as a DVD, but have yet to see it. If anyone ever does, please let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by jojo2910 View Post
                I've had The Labrynith by Kate Mosse recommended to me a few times and though I own a copy, I've never got round to reading it.

I HAVE read that one and I'm afraid it was one of those where I was really frustrated and disappointed in a "That's-two-weeks-of-my-life-I'm-never-getting-back", kind of way. Yet a friend of mine read it and LOVED it! Horses for courses, I suppose...

Comment

In agreement with Jojo, The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns are excellent. Funnily enough, I'm ploughing my way through The Labrynth at the moment, but it is taking some doing. That was a good idea Creemteez about us forming a book club! Have you tried The Red Tent or indeed anything by Anita Diamant? Very good.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Didn't even finish the Labrynth to be honest. Very rare that I don't finish a book but I simply got a bit bored and wandered off. Book club is a great idea
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'm going to have to scroll back through this thread and make a note of all these titles I want to check out so that next time I'm in Waterstones I have a few pointers!
                      So what shall we call the book club thread then? Could be a "sticky". What about a book swap option? Oooh! The possibilities are endless!

Comment

Out of interest how many of you guys use the local library ?

I've always got a huge list of books on reserve at mine (even though they are now shut for 2 weeks and i've a few to pick up grrrrr)

We have book cases in too many rooms for me to buy any new ones. Though we did buy a kindle for the bairn and i've kinda claimed that now .

Some authors i'd recomend are The Official Harlan Coben Web Site Books | John Wilcox and Books by Christopher Brookmyre « Christopher Brookmyre

Comment

Its a shame my library doesn't have a clubcard as I'd get loads of points. I was told by one of the librarians that I was a famous amongst them for ordering so many books. I am not sure who needs to get out more.

When I lived in Cardiff I joined this group - Book Group Home Page - Gumtree Book Group and read some fabulous books. I liked the fact that I would be reading something I wouldn't necessarily have picked myself. Some I loved, some I liked and some I loathed!

Comment

I use my local library. They used to charge 50p to order books that they hadn't got on the shelves. They loved me - it used to cost me quite a bit! No need to pay now, but there is obviously a bit of a wait if you order new titles. I also browse in Charity Shops, where loads of book bargains can be found. It's also nice to revisit some classics. I hadn't read Treasure Island since I was about 14 until I re-read it last year and really enjoyed it!
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I must confess to - like Eddie Izzard - being "thinly read" as opposed to "widely read".
                              Did a bit of Shakespeare at school - then more when I belonged to an Am Dram group. Also done a bit of Jane Austin - again at school, but I'm afraid that's about it as far as "the Classics" are concerned. Keep meaning to put it right, but never seem to get round to it....

Comment

I use the local library a lot, but it's getting so there are less and less books, and more and more computers in there. And the cost of reserving a book has gone up to £1.10!! And there are no concessions either now, so I have to pay that to reserve talking books for my 93 y.o. mum too!
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X