No announcement yet.

Essential Journey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today work have seen sense - I am covering from home waiting for something serious to happen in walking distance! Fingers crossed as I am taking the dogs with me if it does.

Stupid ex-oh decided to try and get his car out this morning thinking he knew best - car is now further down the hill than he strarted and in a worse snow position. He would not listen and now has a face like a wet weekend. There is 2 foot of snow, we live at the bottom of the hill and the only way out is up...I ask you!!
    Last edited by Sprocket*; 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM.
    Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
    Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      it means walking the seven miles to the allotment!
      Oh, I don't envy you. I've got a 5 mile cycle trip at lunchtime, just debating how essential it is, considering the ice & wind (tbh I'm bored of being indoors so will probably go for it)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
        Tiger cub?
        Honda C90 Cub click the link Honda C90 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

Well, as public enemy number one (female 4x4 driver ) I get cross when the roads are blocked by 'little' vehicles, and I can't get through! However, those in the stranded vehicles may have set out in better conditions, and just run out of luck. It's far too easy to be judgemental.

We used to have an old fella living at the bottom of the lane, and he cycled everywhere. But in the snow and ice, he would trudge down to us, and ask for a lift. We used to take him shopping, wait and bring him back. Many of us with suitable vehicles, help out those without. We're not all bad you know!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            Well, as public enemy number one (female 4x4 driver ) I get cross when the roads are blocked by 'little' vehicles, and I can't get through! However, those in the stranded vehicles may have set out in better conditions, and just run out of luck. It's far too easy to be judgemental.

We used to have an old fella living at the bottom of the lane, and he cycled everywhere. But in the snow and ice, he would trudge down to us, and ask for a lift. We used to take him shopping, wait and bring him back. Many of us with suitable vehicles, help out those without. We're not all bad you know!
            Alot of people are thanking 4x4 drivers as some of them are helping others so they have some use. P.S. I'm not a hater of 4x4's but I don't like people who own 4x4's in towns and city's
            Last edited by RoadCar; 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadCar View Post
              Alot of people are thanking 4x4 drivers as some of them are helping others so they have some use. P.S. I'm not a hater of 4x4's but I don't like people who own 4x4's in towns and city's
              Our local Landy Club is involved with an organisation called 'Rover Rescue.' A few years ago, we were delivering meals on wheels to old folk, and rescuing stricken cop cars, and all sorts of stuff! We're not all bad!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I hate the 4x4 owning teenagers that went past me as I struggled to get moving with two old men pushing me, they could have stopped and offered a shove instead of mounting the kerb and driving round me. I wouldn't have commented on the strong smell of cannabis that was coming from the cab. I will have my revenge though....
                Big thanks to the two old guys that pushed me - nice to see community spirit isn't dead.
                Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
                Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

Our patients have to make an essential journey to dialyse three times a week. I've phoned work and luckily up to now they have all made it, but the TA are on standby to help out if the conditions get any worse.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Essential journeys. My sister flew in from London Gatwick last Monday 29th Nov to visit our mother, who is in a nursing home for the past three years. Because of the job my sister does she could only get four days off and had to be back to work at the weekend.
                    She landed in a snowstorm and her plane was struck by lightening as it was coming in to land in Dublin airport.
                    She was staying with my other sister who had to struggle to pick her up.
                    Because of the awful weather we were snowed in and had made up our mind that we were not be going to be able to visit our mum.
                    Well on Wednesday morning the phone rang to say mam had a fall and had to go to hospital for an x ray and would one of her daughters accompany her in the ambulance.
                    We all three decided to go. It was an epic journey as mams nursing home is out in County Dublin and was really hard to get to.
                    We got to the nursing home (struggling) and two of the three of us went in the ambulance with mam. After about four hours in the hospital the x rays came back all clear. At this stage there were no taxi's or ambulances to take us home and we were told we would be marooned there indefinitely.
                    That day we had somebodies prayers. A St. Johns ambulance came in in answer to our call and brought us home all through the back roads of County Dublin and safely to mams nursing home.
                    My mam is in the last stages of alzheimer's and is nearly 93. Was this an essential journey.
                    Just to finish the story. My sisters flight was due out of Dublin on Friday noon to Gatwick. She finally got a flight on Friday evening to Heathrow and finally home late on Friday night.
                    So much for essential journeys and bad weather.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have been doing removals for the past few years now and I was surprised that people still wanted to move in the snow.

Their wish is my command. We have been out quite a bit. The vans run fine in the snow but my feet don't
                      All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                      For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Well..we're off home this evening Cheshire to the North of France- and setting off early to allow a lot of time.

This is a very useful site....

BBC - Travel News - Motorways
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post
                          I have been doing removals for the past few years now and I was surprised that people still wanted to move in the snow.

Their wish is my command. We have been out quite a bit. The vans run fine in the snow but my feet don't
                          If people have sold a house, they have no real choice about moving out on the agreed day. If they don't move their stuff, it may well end up being kept by the new owner of the house, OR they could simply be charged exhorbitant amounts for storage!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

just taken me 5 hrs to complete my journey home from work- normally would take around 20mins- i hate the snow now!!!
                            May the road rise to meet you,
                            May the wind be always at your back,
                            May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                            The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                            Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                              If people have sold a house, they have no real choice about moving out on the agreed day. If they don't move their stuff, it may well end up being kept by the new owner of the house, OR they could simply be charged exhorbitant amounts for storage!
                              I know that but they're still crazy
                              All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                              For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Originally posted by bigt1888 View Post
                                just taken me 5 hrs to complete my journey home
                                I was listening to Scotland's traffic reports y'day, it sounded as if every road in Scotland was gridlocked.
                                I guess walking is out of the question? I've a 3 mile walk if it gets too icy to cycle. Today I'm lucky, it's 'only' sleeting
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X