Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would you/could you give up your television?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can dance around the kitchen without any wine or a spoon!!

Sometimes without any music (but don't tell anyone, or the men in white coats might visit!)

Comment

We changed our 32" telly for a 17" one when we brought the jukebox home. It is farmore conducive to chat than the TV as you just turn the music down a bit and carry on chatting instead of al getting engrossed on what is on the box. I watch TV most evenings but where the big set was on from lunchtime till bedtime, the little one goes on at 6 for younger son to watch the Simpsons, then I watch Smallville or Superman or whatever is on then it is ignored again. We watch more TV when series we enjoy are on like Top Gear or Dr Who but not nearly as much as we used to watch. TV in every bedroom though for the boys and their games consoles - HOWEVER, before anyone screams at me, they only play those for an hour or so each evening.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

We must be mad, we do watch tv a bit, selected programmes maily, along the lines of your choices Johnty, but it amounts to only a few hours a week.

So remind me, why did we buy that huge flatscreen?

Rugby, Rugby ...............and Nigella Lawson

Comment

As a result of an accident in my late teens where I spent the best part of 6 months being immobile and only having the TV to watch, I would rather do anything than sit and watch the TV now (actually find it almost impossible to). It drives the OH mad as she can sit and watch any old carp, which drives me mad - hence I'M usually in the garage/GH. It's only when something like that happens that you realise how lucky most of us are at being able to get up and do something constructive.

Comment

Hi

Hubby watches tv sport at every given opportunity so we have a stupidly expensive flat screen thing too with lights that come out of the sides and reflect on the wall (which I secretly think look quite nice!).

Call me odd but I have a telly routine - one hour per night from 10:30 - 11;30 whilst having a hug with hubby. I love Lost, 24, Nip Tuck and Grand Designs and don't bother with anything else - which keeps the hubby happy as he can hog the telly!

Emma

Comment

Hi all, and welcome elw hope you enjoy yourself here.

I'm more of a radio person myself, and as long as I've got the laptop BW can watch as much footie as he likes. Most of the rest of TV is total carp.
              We do watch Friday night gardening shows and things like Unversally Challenged, but not a lot else these days.

Comment

Couldn't live without radio 4 and often use the listen again service as I usually switch on halfway through something good.

We have 1 TV, and I am torn. I generally record programmes I want to watch which cuts out the dross and adverts, but I still think we could be doing something better with our time so am tempted to give it up. I do watch gardening progs, documentaries such as Panorama and Dispatches, some dramas (currently the Lewis spin off from Inspector Morse as it has local connections). I also love the Cold Case series on Sky mainly because of the 'vintage' music they tie into each episode.

OH has to have his fix of sport, the reason for the Sky subs and daughter probably watches too much childrens TV, but don't fancy my chances of getting them to give it up. Maybe we should just try for a day or two a week and see how we get on.

One thing I absolutely loathe is the TV being on during a meal, or when company is in the house - downright rude IMO.
                All at once I hear your voice
                And time just slips away
                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Yes I like "some" tele but I like my music more. I have a very good old (22years)Technics system with 4 x 60 watt speakers & a varied collection of CDs, so loosing the TV would be no hardship.
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Indeed, throwing the TV out is no problem, but touch my hi-fi and CD's....!!!!!
                    Last edited by srodders; 08-03-2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Like Muckdiva, I'm an avid Radio 4 listener. I do still like to watch TV but if the choice was to give up radio 4 or give up TV, then bye bye telly.
                      http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

I do love the radio..local and radio 2. I could live without the tv. I don't know about the OH or the children
                        Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Is there a pattern here?

Women watch TV occasionally, if at all. Their OHs and children can't be dragged away.

In which case men wouldn't blog on sites like these would they...unless...

a) TV broken
                          b) Blogging men have gender issues
                          c) Men can watch TV and blog at the same time (i.e. they can multitask)
                          The law will hang the man or woman
                          Who steals the goose from off the common
                          But lets the greater thief go loose
                          Who steals the common from the goose
                          http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Men can't multi task!

Plus sport isn't on ALL the time! My OH is completely glued to the TV when there's football / rugby / tennis on.

Comment

Nope- couldn't give up my very selective viewing!!!
                              Where else could I slob out with a beer....
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
                                Women watch TV occasionally, if at all. Their OHs and children can't be dragged away.
                                I think that the big beef here is the TV being on, but not being watched.

Growing up in our house if we wanted the TV on, we had to have a specific prog that we wanted to watch, and justify to mum/dad why we wanted to watch it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X