Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would you/could you give up your television?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
    .... I bet the wine isn't from ASDA either. I'm building up a picture...
    You're right there - bit worried about the picture! We've got Big Fat Trevor the wine man who comes over and does a tasting session every now and again. I end up paying about £5 a bottle, but it's delivered and I know that I'm going to like it.

(That's where the Faustino V rioja came from. PW)

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
      Big Fat Trevor the wine man who comes over and does a tasting session every now and again. I end up paying about £5 a bottle

(That's where the Faustino V rioja came from. PW)
      I've got suckered into hosting something like this in a few weeks. What have I got myself into? Do I get a discount
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat
        ... - my beloved Rangers are playing in the UEFA cup and it's on live up here !
        Do you follow them about sr? They (the fans) put on a great show at Pride Park (I'm a Derby fan) for Ted McMinns testimonial?
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 07-03-2007, 09:38 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
          I've got suckered into hosting something like this in a few weeks. What have I got myself into? Do I get a discount
          If you don't you've been done!

BFT just comes around with new stuff he thinks I'll like, I'll do the non-professional tasting thing (i.e. swallow the wine) and at the end of the afternoon I won't remember what I've ordered. Seems to work out ok in the main though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            If you don't you've been done!

BFT just comes around with new stuff he thinks I'll like, I'll do the non-professional tasting thing (i.e. swallow the wine) and at the end of the afternoon I won't remember what I've ordered. Seems to work out ok in the main though.
            The deal I've fallen for is to host a party - get 10 people round etc...

I love the idea of having your own personal wine waiter.
            The law will hang the man or woman
            Who steals the goose from off the common
            But lets the greater thief go loose
            Who steals the common from the goose
            http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sbp
              Used to go to all the games - when I lived in Glasgow I was a season ticket holder, moved to Aberdeen and travelled to almost every game for three years, went to London for thirteen years and very rarely missed a home game at Ibrox - cost me a bloody fortune they have.
              Strangely, since moving back up to Scotland 5 years ago, have only seen a handful of games - the joys of having a young daughter and a wife who supports "them".
              On the subject of Ted "Tin Man" McMinn, I was in the crowd when he made his debut against Morton - he scored direct from a corner and I remember him running the full length of the pitch celebrating ! He was a big fan's favourite, always gave 110%, and what an entertainer. Whenever he got the ball, his "crazy legs" would just start pumping - even he admitted he didn't always know where he was going! Or where he'd been
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

nope, sadly i'm a complete Telly Addict. Square eyes, the lot! :/

Comment

YES, I could well live without the dreaded box. We have been here for 3 years now and CK has just bought a Telly Thats only because he likes politics and there is an Election in April. So long as I have books, a radio, the internet and a DVD player I am happy I love the cinema but like to watch it when I want to and find that most of what is on the Telly is rubbish!
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat
                    ....On the subject of Ted "Tin Man" McMinn, I was in the crowd when he made his debut against Morton - he scored direct from a corner and I remember him running the full length of the pitch celebrating ! He was a big fan's favourite, always gave 110%, and what an entertainer. Whenever he got the ball, his "crazy legs" would just start pumping - even he admitted he didn't always know where he was going! Or where he'd been
                    Lol! sounds like the Tinman! Used to watch him play for Derby in the 80s (I think it was?) - now he commentates on the Rams on Radio Derby.

http://www.ted-mcminn.co.uk/
                    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I'd be happy to get rid of the TV altogether but my OH is an artist and he works with electronic media / photography / video and so we need a TV in the house. I only watch ER and the occasional good programme/documentary, the rest of the time it is switched off at the wall [not left on stand by] and gathers dust!

I much prefer the radio! And music!

Comment

Radio fan myself, couldn't do without Radio 4. But I think I could live without the TV. Oh so glad someone else dances around the kitchen with a wooden spoon Hazel!
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I probably could if I had to but Mr EB and Miss EB like their films and I do occasionally sit down to working lunch - my bite size, non jargon finance, economics and stuff prog. Most other things I would manage without but I wouldn't and couldn't give up my local bbc radio, commercial local radio and classic fm.

I do agree with having TV free zones. We have one small telly in the loungs and that is it. I also like periods of peace and quiet. Serenity I can identify with the early morning calm and bliss of nothing on especially on a clear summer's day. On days like that I'd rather open the back door and hear the birdsong.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                            Radio fan myself, couldn't do without Radio 4. But I think I could live without the TV. Oh so glad someone else dances around the kitchen with a wooden spoon Hazel!
                            Miss EB and I just dance round the kitchen. No spoon involved unless required for cooking purposes at the same time.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I could live without the TV Serenity. I watch very little of it - most of it is a load of rubbish. There are some good programmes ie the ones I like. My husband is not that fond of it either, so it works out well. In summer, sometimes it is not on for months.
                              Maybe we are lucky, we have 2 sitting rooms, but only one has a TV - the only one we have.
                              A friend of mine said - do you know what I love about your house - the absence of the telly (she has 3 teenage sons and Skysport blaring 18 hours a day).
                              I think there is a place for TV, but it seems to take over some peoples lives. All the people who tell me they don't have time to cook, would never have time to garden, have no time to take their children anywhere, don't have time to shop anywhere but the supermarket, seem to have time to watch all the soaps and to talk about them endlessly. TV seems to be central in their lives.
                              I'll stick with 1 TV in 1 Room, enjoy the programmes I like, and ignore the rest. If I had to do without it, it would be no hardship.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

We have one TV (in the lounge) and have just Free-cycled our "spare" TV (which has been sat in the spare room for ages)

I couldn't live without it, but don't watch it every night. I have my "programs" (Stargate, CSI, Bones) and Mr OWG likes SkySports. We watch much more TV in the winter months than in the Spring/Summer/Autumn

However, if someone said that I couldn't have a TV anymore, I doubt after a week I'd miss it - providing I had loads of books to read

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X