No announcement yet.

Why did *I* say sorry?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps we should just appreciate that some cyclists and some pedestrians are not going to see eye to eye, any more than some cyclists and some motorists. I am occasionally a cyclist, and also a pedestrian, and a motorist, so, I guess I tend to take whichever viewpoint applies to me at the time. I'd think most folk are the same.

I am also a Horse rider and an Off-Roader so that makes me public enemy number one, I guess!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've took my time posting on this thread but my softest action would have been "RUDE WORDS" telling the person concerned that the road is the place for cycles.
      Second option refuse to move out of the way & make them stop & then "RUDE WORDS"
      Third option shove them off the pavement providing there are no cars approaching.

NEVER SAY SORRY!
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally Posted by Hilary B View Post
        Most (as far I've seen) of those who use ANY pavement, not just those which are so designated. The same ones who CYCLE across a zebra crossing (or one with lights). There are inconsiderate road users in any and every department (cars, lorries, motorbikes, cycles, on foot). Cycling where cycles are not meant to be (even if it's because the road isn't safe for cycling) requires an exceptional degree of consideration for those who have a better right to be there, and those I see doing so (not a great number, but too many) rarely show that sort of attitude.

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        What do they do then, that non-pavement users don't do?

To be honest, I've never seen a pavement cyclist being inconsiderate, but I've seen road using cyclists kick cars and go through red lights as they obviously don't apply to them...
        Obviously varies with location, but... if a cyclist is on the road, they are the most vulnerable user, so messing around cars in the manner you describe may get what it deserves (regrettably, other cyclists may also get what the idiot deserves, through no fault of their own).
        A cyclist on the pavement is a lot less vulnerable than some of the pedestrians he/she meets, and therefore needs to bear this in mind.
        When pavement and cycle-path are one and the same, the cyclist should be showing a similar degree of respect to the pedestrians (in particular those with child or dog) as a car driver should show to an equestrian. Where the pavement is NOT also a cycleway, but the cyclist has chosen to so use it, this applies even more strongly!
        Pedestrians on a cycleway that is NOT pavement, it is their own risk!
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Yeah, so that's 1.

If most cyclists [that cycle on pavements] were rude and obnoxious to everyone around them, I'm sure the government would legislate....my point is that yes SOME might be but not MOST; Most cyclists [that cycle on pavements] are not ill mannered or cycle in a way that is dangerous...some might be but not most....and if most are cycling this way, what exactly are they doing?
          Well since the pavement is (with specific exceptions) not intended for cycling, they are probably breaking the law already (not sure just how far the law protects pavements from non-pedestrians) so additional law on the subject would be rather pointless.
          I have a good deal of sympathy with those who would prefer to cycle but find roads too dangerous. I don't consider this an adequate excuse to use the footway without taking especial care to avoid inconveniencing the legitimate users, and when I see cyclists on pavements they are nearly always failing to take such care.
          I've cycled, in the past (everywhere is uphill from here or within less than half-a-mile, which kills my occasional thought of trying again), I drive occasionally (more often a passenger, so my opportunities for observation are actually greater) and I do walk to and from the shops sometimes, as well as around shopping areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            and when I see cyclists on pavements they are nearly always failing to take such care.
            I've cycled, in the past (everywhere is uphill from here or within less than half-a-mile, which kills my occasional thought of trying again), I drive occasionally (more often a passenger, so my opportunities for observation are actually greater) and I do walk to and from the shops sometimes, as well as around shopping areas.
            So, what were they doing then? As you have already stated Most of the cyclists who use pavements REGARDLESS of whether it is also a cycle path, are also ill-mannered and cycle in a manner dangerous to all around.

So I'm intrigued as to what these people actually do. Do they go round kicking the legs out from underneath old ladies? I'm just curious to know what these people are doing to deem them ill-mannered and cycling in a dangerous manner.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              I always enjoy Hitchin - lovely, lovely town ...see you in Just Desserts
              Can I suggest a visit to a charming little shop Pisk? The Cake Hole, Hitchin

Lovely charming little shop - and gorgeous cakes/eatings. We bought our wedding cake from there (round the back, near the church).

Hitchin has a lush Indian restaurant too, but I can't remember what it's called.

I need to pay you a visit too - something about roofing felt...

Never mind cyclists - it's them bladdy hooligans on them battery powered scooter things you need to watch out for! Lawless joyriders!

*retires to a safe distance*
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

So, what were they doing then? As you have already stated Most of the cyclists who use pavements REGARDLESS of whether it is also a cycle path, are also ill-mannered and cycle in a manner dangerous to all around.

So I'm intrigued as to what these people actually do. Do they go round kicking the legs out from underneath old ladies? I'm just curious to know what these people are doing to deem them ill-mannered and cycling in a dangerous manner.
                They cycle as if they own the pavement, make no effort to slow down or avoid pedestrians, and in some cases swear if someoe declines to get out of their way. They don't need to be doing anything worse, the pedestrians have the right of way!
                I am talking about those who SHOULD NOT be on the pavement, because it is NOT a cycleway (the bit you quote above, I now realise might be ambiguous), and this is my observation IN THIS AREA. It may be otherwise where you are, but what I see is what I commented on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                  They cycle as if they own the pavement, make no effort to slow down or avoid pedestrians, and in some cases swear if someoe declines to get out of their way. They don't need to be doing anything worse, the pedestrians have the right of way!
                  I am talking about those who SHOULD NOT be on the pavement, because it is NOT a cycleway (the bit you quote above, I now realise might be ambiguous), and this is my observation IN THIS AREA. It may be otherwise where you are, but what I see is what I commented on.
                  I have never seen any of that; I have to say. I saw one chap cycling through Nottingham once who got pulled over by the rozzers and told to walk but that was it. Everyone I've ever seen cycling on pavements have slowed down, rung their bell [including people coming up behind me when I've been walking] or said 's'cuse me please'...kids cycling in the roads fills me with sheer horror and I'd be more than happy if they were on the pavements as it only takes one fast car and they could all be wiped out.

Basically; there is NOWHERE for cyclists to go - lets face it. They get all manner of grief when trying to keep themselves safe and they get all manner of grief when they drive on the roads.

Cyclists do not have metal wrapped round them; it is NOT safe on the roads for them and you'd think all pavements were heaving with pedestrians 24/7 the way the description is above...which is not the case.

Even in our little village - the car and lorry drivers drive too close to the kerb and will not wait for cyclists and will cut across them no matter where they are in the manoeuvre.

Not all cyclists are angels; but neither are all pedestrians or motorists...but this country has a major problem with cyclists and needs to either admit that or put proper cycle lanes in place.

There is a cycle lane in Nottingham that veers out from the 'pavement side' to the centre of the road, around the car parking spaces. If - as suggested - all cyclists MUST stick to cycle lanes; each and every one would end up in accidents by the end of the road as they would career into cars every time they got to the bit that directs them to the centre of the road. Absolutely ridiculous.

Oh and if pavements REALLY weren't meant for cycles; then they would not be built to 'light traffic' standards and made of tarmac. Pavements are built to a higher level than for example - block paving that is found in pedestrian only areas - because it is understood that cycles and light traffic will use it.

A baby in a buggy has more protection than a cyclist; but I'm sure nobody in their right mind would tell a parent to wheel the buggy on the road....and people with baby buggies I HAVE seen being rude, inconsiderate, pushing people out of the way, nicking the person in front's ankles, taking up the full width as if they own the pavement.....so what's different?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post

Never mind cyclists - it's them bladdy hooligans on them battery powered scooter things you need to watch out for! Lawless joyriders!

PMSL. don't get me started on the Benidorm brigade !
                    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Precisely; and nobody would moan at them for taking up valueable walking space!

Comment

I need to pay you a visit too - something about roofing felt...
                        You do too

Nice cake shop

What's all this chippering about cyclists - bad mannered or otherwise I seem to remember, many years ago, that my post was about me saying sorry for something that wasn't actually my fault.

If I'd have known it would turn into 'light the blue touch paper and retire' I'd have bought sausages and baked some potatoes

and don't get me started on old people, or the British weather, or James Martin, or or or....well just don't
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Evolution dear Piskie, Evolution.....

Comment

Evolution! what have the Romans ever done for us eh! Oh, sorry - I see
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post

... my post was about me saying sorry for something that wasn't actually my fault.
                              I hate that! I always apologise, thank, smile etc. but far too often I get scowled at or ignored. And I'm sad to say that it's often people around my own age who are the rudest - 'the older generation' *tend* to have better manners, and the younger ones *tend* to be more cheerful anyway. Doesn't take much to smile at someone does it?

(I'm aware that this post contains some sweeping generalisations)

Please stop arguing about cyclists peeps. As in all walks of life, some act without consideration for others, and taint the majority who don't. If I see any more threads turn into cyclist rants from either side, I shall probably resign

Comment

Te he...I'm going to talk about abandoned shopping trollies

If I accidentally leave mine sticking out in the aisle then I say ooops- sorry....but I can't stand how peeps just abandon theirs and wander off to fetch something...often blocking the way- and no where near enough to say sorry.
                                I've started pushing them out of the way now- by quite a distance

...oops- sorry!!!
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X